Air flow meter upgrade

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
All sifus,

I plan to go with S90 @ 70mm throttle body and aftermarket aluminium intake manifold to match with my Deratech cam.
Meanwhile, is upgrade on air flow meter is necessary?
If needed, what is the air flow code number is good to upgrade?

Also, changing in bigger air flow meter will make the engine run lean ?
Please advise and educate... Thx.:adore:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I do not understand...y need to change the air flow meter? If the desired air flow is within the air flow meter range, then no problem isnt it? After all, the purpose of air flow meter is to read the air flow only..it wont increase or decrease the air flow...correct me if i were wrong

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
y not get a SAFC?
Penang do not have good tuner ... I prefer to let my engine run with stock ecu as I believe stock ecu can cook this minor mod :biggrin:

I do not understand...y need to change the air flow meter? If the desired air flow is within the air flow meter range, then no problem isnt it? After all, the purpose of air flow meter is to read the air flow only..it wont increase or decrease the air flow...correct me if i were wrong
Upgrade air flow meter is because of need more air on wide open throttle after change to oversized throttle body and intake manifold. With more than 20% of oversized, afraid air volume of stock air flow cannot support. :hmmmm:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Penang do not have good tuner ... I prefer to let my engine run with stock ecu as I believe stock ecu can cook this minor mod :biggrin:

Upgrade air flow meter is because of need more air on wide open throttle after change to oversized throttle body and intake manifold. With more than 20% of oversized, afraid air volume of stock air flow cannot support. :hmmmm:
what car???

if proton 1.6/gsr use same air flow meter....which is 1 on n.a engine and another on turbo engine...see...afm not that restrictive....its actually quite capable to support mild-mid engine upgrades...

unless u were talking about 2bar boosted engine then i would discard the afm and use MAP sensor with standalone anyway (or atleast e-manage)

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
what car???

if proton 1.6/gsr use same air flow meter....which is 1 on n.a engine and another on turbo engine...see...afm not that restrictive....its actually quite capable to support mild-mid engine upgrades...

unless u were talking about 2bar boosted engine then i would discard the afm and use MAP sensor with standalone anyway (or atleast e-manage)
Hi Pomen,

Currently run with 4G93P with duratec mild cam inside.
Stock air flow is 455.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hi Pomen,

Currently run with 4G93P with duratec mild cam inside.
Stock air flow is 455.

maybe can put evo3 MAF sensor...

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
maybe can put evo3 MAF sensor...

ok.. noted.

Btw, can Evo 60mm throttle body can fit nice into my stock intake manifold?
of coz, will re-bore the inlet to 60mm as well.
Please advise.. Thx

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
there's no need to upgrade your MAF. Each old mitsubishi airflow sensors are very dynamic of its base tuning threshold and capable of huge amount of 'tinkerings'.

Note : there is a screw at the bottom of the MAF sensor. Screw Out for leaner AF mix or Screw In for richer mix. A 455, or can work as well as GSR's 449 as long as the tuning is matched for accurate airfuel ratio. But then again, on stock ECU, how your injector works to richen or lean out doesn't only depend on outputs by MAF... it will also calculate output from the oxygen sensor and your TPS. Conclusion? Only disturb the MAF after everything else has been tinkered with.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
there's no need to upgrade your MAF. Each old mitsubishi airflow sensors are very dynamic of its base tuning threshold and capable of huge amount of 'tinkerings'.

Note : there is a screw at the bottom of the MAF sensor. Screw Out for leaner AF mix or Screw In for richer mix. A 455, or can work as well as GSR's 449 as long as the tuning is matched for accurate airfuel ratio. But then again, on stock ECU, how your injector works to richen or lean out doesn't only depend on outputs by MAF... it will also calculate output from the oxygen sensor and your TPS. Conclusion? Only disturb the MAF after everything else has been tinkered with.
kopi...the screw adjustment on MAF is new to me...any picture to share?

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
kopi...the screw adjustment on MAF is new to me...any picture to share?
I dont happen to have a pic of my own but I'm borrowing from Google. The screw is sealed with somekind of polymer sealant from factory and you need to peel it off to reveal the screw. It's not usable with flathead or phillips screwdriver since the screw need a special tool to rotate it, but you can work with chiseling a little bit of the screw surface to accomodate flathead screwdriver, as I did.

The screw is actually an airflow restrictor. Turning it clockwise, is called closing and NT clockwise is opening. Closing seems to be making richer AF mix, while opening sends the mix to the leaner side. I had once fully open the restrictor and my plugs went white.

Last edited:

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005

Noted.

I just bring in an E-manage in-order to gain more accurate on AF and ignition tuning.
However, will go to change my piston to increase my compression ratio before send to tuning.

the question is:

- what piston head should I put ?
option 1: piston from 4G92p SOHC
option 2: TOTO for mivec aftermarket piston with 1mm metal gasket

And estimate what is the compression ratio can I get from the set up?

Please educate... Thx

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
have u open up your head before..
if not mistaken 4g93p piston same with 4g92 sohc piston..if 4g93 japan single cam piston will be flat..
before this using mivec piston on my 93..dont do compression test by the way..ask few tuner also they said too high compress they dont dare to tune..without tuning my 93 sure have knocking going uphill..better ask your tuner first..

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
have u open up your head before..
if not mistaken 4g93p piston same with 4g92 sohc piston..if 4g93 japan single cam piston will be flat..
before this using mivec piston on my 93..dont do compression test by the way..ask few tuner also they said too high compress they dont dare to tune..without tuning my 93 sure have knocking going uphill..better ask your tuner first..
No, didn't open engine head to check on the piston design.
Maybe will go to option 3 : thinner head gasket without touching the piston.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

This morning while I'm waiting for the engine to heat up, i saw white smoke coming out from my exhaust, the white smoke is not that bad as those motorbike smoke. What could this be ar? muffler going off soon? or? :unsure:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience