Recommended Engine Oil For Me

LucasChng

Known Member
Sep 17, 2012
DELETED
Thanks guys for all the recommendation, will try it on the next service. Just service it today since tomorrow gonna drive to PG. Correction, the ELF Semi-Syn was 10-40 :biggrin:.

As usual, did a flushing with mineral oil before putting in the Semi-Syn, I bought the so callled Honda Semi-Syn which was Idemitsu 10-30. After the oil changes, definitely felt lighter. Changed the plugs & fuel filter as well :biggrin:.

Some info to share to you guys which I have experience today.

My wira had a UR Bar on the lower front,
Proton Wira 1.6 / 1.8 (Sedan) Front Lower Bar / Front Member Brace - Ultra Racing Product Catalog

When the oil changes, it will splash on the bar. After done services, cleaned the bar and went for a drive. Noticed that quite a sum of engine oil dripping under the vehicle. Thought that I forgot to tighten the drain nut, but actual source of the engine oil dripping is from the bar, engine oil went into the bar inside. :sleep:

Will be monitoring & keep you guys updated

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
IN the bar???

How the heck?

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

Later next month or so, forgot again :rofl:
The bugger already never read my reply. No need next month, next hour.

So, I should say I'm glad to have you as friend..:laugh:

Cuz u willing to re-explain to me haha! I know bro I know. Just that, this time, another friend told me about his thoughts on fully syn and semi syn. Which is why I'm back to confusion on who or what to believe so would like to hear your opinions on what others said.

Just to further clarify la. But anyway thanks. I got it now. Agree on power loss at high revving. But pick up was much smoother than semi syns. But semi syns feel heavy on pick up but mid range and up is good.
!@#)(!@)&*%!@(#*!@%&@#!)#(!&%!)@(!)(&^

Nothing to do with semi or fully syn la! Smoother or power loss at high revs is the weight of the oil doing that, not fully or semi syn laaa. One of these days I should let you try the 0W40 semi I've come across, Chemlube or something like that. Bloody expensive for a semi but quite interesting cuz semis rarely come as a 0w oil.

Most of the ppl here tend to be itchy-hand. No harm trying this and that brand.
But for me, I would stick with engine oil spec recommended by the manufacturer, then nothing should go wrong.

Safe for the engine and save my money buying premium oil. Of course, this is just me as I drive my car like 80years old unker and hardly rev the engine...
You say that, but the Wira has a weird recommended weight - 20W50.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
IN the bar???

How the heck?

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

Nothing to do with semi or fully syn la! Smoother or power loss at high revs is the weight of the oil doing that, not fully or semi syn laaa. One of these days I should let you try the 0W40 semi I've come across, Chemlube or something like that. Bloody expensive for a semi but quite interesting cuz semis rarely come as a 0w oil.

Yah! I wanted to say semi got 0w?

20w-50 is very old school, used in my cars those days....

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
That's... thick. Is your 4G93 turbo charged? If not that's a little too thick.

Engine oil getting black is a normal thing. Getting thick is just indicator of wear and time to change.

I personally recommend Penrite 5W40. It comes 5L packs and quite good oil. Takes a lot of high-revving to get the oil to go over 90 degrees Celsius. I've tried overheating my car by redlining in 2nd gear for 15 minutes continuously and surprisingly the oil maintained 85 degrees (average) throughout the test never once touching 89 deg. That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

Rock Oil 5W30 or 40 is also pretty good but at a slightly more premium price than Penrite. Sepang track proven for me, my tyres and brakes wore out faster than the oil could heat up.

Economical oils like Pennzoil 5W30 are very good in terms of cost per use and work quite well to clean the engine and not shear too quickly for everyday use. But I suspect this might not be suitable for your driving style.

Btw all I recommended are fully syn.
bro where can i get Penrite oil, what is the price range?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
IN the bar???

How the heck?

I think Proton simply set it at 20W50. Even my Persona is 20W50 so called 'recommended'.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
bro where can i get Penrite oil, what is the price range?
For a 5L bottle of their HPW 5W40 which is their flagship oil ester based, it's in the RM240 price range I think. I forgot to ask exact pricing. I know the distributors and they have a FB page. Blackhowling tried their Diesel variant in his BMW-D and he has given pretty positive feedback on the oil. Quieter engine. smoother sounding, etc. It's pretty much the same for me in my new car, and on my old wira, it did pretty well in my heat test.

(You can tell I'm a fanboy already. LOL)

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
Izso,

If go Genting continue to push all the way to peak with your water temp rise?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For a 5L bottle of their HPW 5W40 which is their flagship oil ester based, it's in the RM240 price range I think. I forgot to ask exact pricing. I know the distributors and they have a FB page. Blackhowling tried their Diesel variant in his BMW-D and he has given pretty positive feedback on the oil. Quieter engine. smoother sounding, etc. It's pretty much the same for me in my new car, and on my old wira, it did pretty well in my heat test.

(You can tell I'm a fanboy already. LOL)
I use the diesel engine oil in my VR also very quiet woh! Still have enough for another round later...:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso,

If go Genting continue to push all the way to peak with your water temp rise?
I didn't test with Genting, I tested around my area, quite a few hilly roads and I maintained redline with low gear for the test. Drove it around like that for quite a while and the water temp maintained.

But my thermostat is a 75 deg thermostat so it opens a bit earlier than the standard 85 deg one. Not sure if that had any affect on the test.

I use the diesel engine oil in my VR also very quiet woh! Still have enough for another round later...:biggrin:
The difference is the additives and all in diesel oils vs my petrol engine oil la. We already discussed this sometime ago

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
My recommendation is Top-1 Engine oil.. But not so famous in Malaysia. Yes, its not as good as Motul, Liqui Molly, Amsoil... But for RM110 for 4 liter semi-syntetic oil, i must say this is the best for it price.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My recommendation is Top-1 Engine oil.. But not so famous in Malaysia. Yes, its not as good as Motul, Liqui Molly, Amsoil... But for RM110 for 4 liter semi-syntetic oil, i must say this is the best for it price.
110 for semi? How is that cheap? PETRONAS / Perodua / Honda / Pennzoil / etc all are cheaper than that for 4L and at least they are more reputable man. How's the Top1 in terms of shearing, cleaning, etc?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
110 for semi? How is that cheap? PETRONAS / Perodua / Honda / Pennzoil / etc all are cheaper than that for 4L and at least they are more reputable man. How's the Top1 in terms of shearing, cleaning, etc?
Initially I thought he meant FS oil but for SS oil is not cheap. Top 1 is from the US, and I have used their FS before those days that comes in quart cans. Felt it is so so only. Even my ex colleague tried he also comment nothing special...:smokin:

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Tested Liqui Moly after Torco TR5.

Really liked the fact that with Liqui Moly, redlining my engine still feels surprisingly smooth.

Next change will probably give Millers Oil a try..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all i saw modification of this on bike.
i just wonder if it will work on car's engine

its a thing to let us save fuel, and preserve the low end torque.

see the pic, (plz dun mind it is a 2 stroke, more later)
it menas when the intake is close, there is something like 'reverse flow' of fuel+air
or maybe it means momentum of intake air still comming in
so the reserve actually can hold it (something like the air inside get compressed?)
than when the intake open again it can suck from...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience