Glass restoration on a honda Civic

zckid

Known Member
Feb 28, 2012
Mauritius
Hello folks :wavey:

I got a ride and a very "worried" careful owner. He just had a very bad surprise from someone willing to help him, with right, truthful intention. He was offered an untested product to clean his ride. The consequence was bad for the paintwork and worst for the glass with visibility reduced drastically for the driver and as a result, safety too.

Glass upon arrival

After washing and decontamination

Visibility impaired by +50%. Guess what has happened before?

these are not wax crayon marks but the chemical reaction from using a highly aggressive product, an acid-based degreaser which we don't know anything about.... a no-name product with no instructions, no MSDS .....

Close-up

From another angle, see the damage

With the contrast, still another view of the marred glass surface affecting visibility

Still another view

Becoming clearer after a few hits

A 50/50… the wiper blades marks and water spots were taken care of too..... A case of 3 birds with a stone

Transformed

New glass

Closer look

Checking every inch

In the sun…. playing PEEK-A-BOO

The side windows restored too

Happy Uncle

Raring to go home... :driver: remember the red lady, a visit from her too!

Grateful to Almighty for having helped me to help old Uncle, he was to take his wife to the hospital. Wishing him a safe journey both ways 

Thanks for reading. Your thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers

Zaid

zckid

Known Member
Feb 28, 2012
Mauritius
Nice work as usual, but what did you do or what did you use?
Thanks for ur kind words bro.:wavey: most appreciated.

So here's what i did.

I first clayed it after wash. no effect

tried DP high performance glass restorer with the Carpro rayon pads. The defects were untouched. no effect again.

then i tried the rayon pads with Sonax Profiline glass polish

It required quite a few hits. I also removed the water spots and wiper marks along with the crayon like defects.

You'll need a spray bottle of water to mist every now and then to reactivate the polish. works best with the sonax felt pads which is much better IMO than carpro's rayon pads, cuts and finishes better and last longer too. I couldn't find mine at that time. It was well kept in a plastic box of rayon pads. :idea:

Fishbone has a post on a thread here on zth where he used the sonax profiline glass polish and its felt pads.

hope it helps. Still learning here :wavey:

Cool greetings from our sunny Mauritius :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

So here's what i did.

tried DP high performance glass restorer with the Carpro rayon pads. The defects were untouched. no effect again.

It required quite a few hits. I also removed the water spots and wiper marks along with the crayon like defects.

You'll need a spray bottle of water to mist every now and then to reactivate the polish. works best with the sonax felt pads which is much better IMO than carpro's rayon pads, cuts and finishes better and last longer too. I couldn't find mine at that time. It was well kept in a plastic box of rayon pads. :idea:

Fishbone has a post on a thread here on zth where he used the sonax profiline glass polish and its felt pads.

Ah! ok, thanks.....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

So here's what i did.

Thanks man! Have headache on how to remove those marks easily. Gonna try that Sonax and the pads if it is selling in Malaysia.

The pads u used is with hand or with a machine as in ROB/Rotary?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
This sifu is rotary kaki lah.....:driver:
Oh...so if use hand cannot then die la me LOL! Need to use your friend's makita again on my mousedeer. Really bad.

Btw, anyway to make side mirrors have the water flow away? During rain all those droplets stays there.

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
those water mark & wiper mark still ok easy to remove

use machine is fast but for beginner be careful dont over do it.

Me i use hand no money buy machine.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh...so if use hand cannot then die la me LOL! Need to use your friend's makita again on my mousedeer. Really bad.

Btw, anyway to make side mirrors have the water flow away? During rain all those droplets stays there.
You did not mention water marks on the windscreen from the beginning? Only bro. Izso mentioned about it on his STD. He suppose to pop by to let me have a look at it.....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
You did not mention water marks on the windscreen from the beginning? Only bro. Izso mentioned about it on his STD. He suppose to pop by to let me have a look at it.....:driver:
Haha! Ya kancil I didn't mention actually the watermarks are quite nasty on kancil. Even side mirrors maybe can use quick detailer on it.? :hmmmm:

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

those water mark & wiper mark still ok easy to remove

use machine is fast but for beginner be careful dont over do it.

Me i use hand no money buy machine.
What product u use by using hand bro?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Haha! Ya kancil I didn't mention actually the watermarks are quite nasty on kancil. Even side mirrors maybe can use quick detailer on it.? :hmmmm:

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

What product u use by using hand bro?
If side window can try my acid base cleaner. Front windscreen better use glass polish, unless you are prepared to change windscreen....hahaha:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If side window can try my acid base cleaner. Front windscreen better use glass polish, unless you are prepared to change windscreen....hahaha:biggrin:
I think we tried on the kelisa before? Seems come back again :bawling:
But k la after so long haha!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think we tried on the kelisa before? Seems come back again :bawling:
But k la after so long haha!
You mean acid base cleaner on Kelisa? I think not leh! I don't simply use the acid base cleaner unless my own ride or with owner's approval....:biggrin:

If you park in the open, in rain and shine, 24/7, and do not take much care water marks sure to come back loh....:bawling:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
You mean acid base cleaner on Kelisa? I think not leh! I don't simply use the acid base cleaner unless my own ride or with owner's approval....:biggrin:
That time we use what? Cuz i remember u help me on using the makita on the glass before. Polish?
acid base cleaner is okay for the side windows but not the front or rear. Why?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That time we use what? Cuz i remember u help me on using the makita on the glass before. Polish?
acid base cleaner is okay for the side windows but not the front or rear. Why?
Too many things done already, cannot remember which is which. We did headlamp for kelisa also, right?
Bring Kelisa or mouse deer, see what can be done...:driver:

Acid base cleaner, even those over the counter stuff like tomcat and one more I cannot remember the name. If use on the front screen it has to be washed off fast. Wipers used on front screen will created some wiper lines in the glass and when the acid seeps into the lines and dries, it turn white then the windscreen can hardly see thru'....:banghead: