Toyota Corolla AE111 1996 Overhaul or Sell?!

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Toyota Corolla

Please help me out in this situation. I am very unsure what to do with this car now. Moreover, I am college student. Buying a new car would mean more loss. I dont have the money to upgrade. The dealer cheated me with a previously damaged car. Now I cant cheat people selling it to them. I am very much traumatized owning this car.

Last edited:

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
Hi ...

I owned a same car exactly like yours. It it pretty shocked to hear that u had such experience ... since u've bought the car already what i recommend you to do is to repair all the problematic areas as soon as you can at the same time ... once repaired ... this car can be quite a reliable and good car to be driven soon ...

Mountings changed? Are u using the genuine mounting ? if is the imitation mounting it wont last ... will just give more problems down the road ... happened to my AE111 before ... but be warned as the mounting can be pretty expensive for the genuine one

high fuel consumption ...? do you regularly service your car? black oil ... oil filter changed? air filter is cleaned? throttle body clean? Vacuum leaks? spark plugs and plug cables? any visible white or blue or black smoke from the exhaust? get these checked too ... !!!

I too suspect u have a leak in your exhaust system ... send it to your local exhaust shop and fix the entire exhaust system if the piping started to rust ... happened to me before ... !!!

If you think your engine has problems and need to be overhauled ... but u must keep in mind that overhaul the engine also depends on the workmanship of the workshop ... no point having crappy overhaul workmanship and expensive ... it wont last ... overhaul must be done with good workmanship ... i suggest start with top overhaul first ... or even better ... save money and drop in 4AGE blacktop 20V for more power ...

Anything feel free to reply to me ... always ready to help u out ... Good luck and cheers ...

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Well it seem you're not an ordinary car owner that you started to customizing stuff on the car itself. The actual question is that if you have the passion of visiting workshop for bringing it back to life step by step you may continue the journey with it. But since you are a student, assumed you are not earning any fix monthly income yet i would suggest you to let go this unit.

- The hood not align most probably would be just installation error where you can re-align it yourself just need two person to hold and adjust slowly.
- (If you decided to restore)For the chassis, i suggest you bring it to a familiar bodywork and let them inspect how bad was the accident before. Missing nut can just be found anywhere any workshop as long as size matches.
- For the wheels i can tell it is not a big fuss, i own the similar model and through experience i learn it was designed that way.

Question for you why was many of the defect was not looked into before getting the car ? Was it from someone you knew or second car dealer ? May i also ask what spec is that wheels? JJ / offset.

If you don't have the money to upgrade then don't consider it, maintain it instead. There are very much discovery needed if restoration is decided, fuel consumption is the worst that have to be resolved ASAP.

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi ...

I owned a same car exactly like yours. It it pretty shocked to hear that u had such experience ... since u've bought the car already what i recommend you to do is to repair all the problematic areas as soon as you can at the same time ... once repaired ... this car can be quite a reliable and good car to be driven soon ...

Mountings changed? Are u using the genuine mounting ? if is the imitation mounting it wont last ... will just give more problems down the road ... happened to my AE111 before ... but be warned as the mounting can be pretty expensive for the genuine one

high fuel consumption ...? do you regularly service your car? black oil ... oil filter changed? air filter is cleaned? throttle body clean? Vacuum leaks? spark plugs and plug cables? any visible white or blue or black smoke from the exhaust? get these checked too ... !!!

I too suspect u have a leak in your exhaust system ... send it to your local exhaust shop and fix the entire exhaust system if the piping started to rust ... happened to me before ... !!!

If you think your engine has problems and need to be overhauled ... but u must keep in mind that overhaul the engine also depends on the workmanship of the workshop ... no point having crappy overhaul workmanship and expensive ... it wont last ... overhaul must be done with good workmanship ... i suggest start with top overhaul first ... or even better ... save money and drop in 4AGE blacktop 20V for more power ...

Anything feel free to reply to me ... always ready to help u out ... Good luck and cheers ...
I always felt I was the only unlucky one. I only am aware of the welding in front from the picture. My engine mounting costed me around RM520 brand new. It has one year warranty. So I suppose they were original. What immediate repairs do you suggest since you already owned a AE111? I have also changed the front lower arm with the joints and the bushings. Other than that my mechanics haven't noticed anything significant about the chassis but obviously inspected with bare eyes.

I serviced my car as soon as I got it. I had traveled to Johor, Melacca, Pork Dickson and a few times to Cyberjaya besides regular city traveling. Cause of that I had refilled my engine oil once more. Haven't thoroughly checked the throttle body or for vacuum leaks. Oil filters and spark plugs have been changed but not the plug cables. Haven't noticed any blue or black smoke so far in two months.

Yes, my exhaust pipe is very rusted and pretty low (probably due to a missing nut or retainer). I went to a local shop. They quoted me around 1K to change the exhaust system. Do you think it's reasonable?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dworks-Garage/177106978992652?fref=ts
This is the shop I'm trying to get it overhauled. They're charging me around 4K for full overhaul, painting engine bay and engine head. Any suggestions for a good workshop?

Since you owned the same car, any idea what can be the drawbacks for a 4AGE 20V Blacktop engine? and where would be the best place to get it done?

Thank you for your response!

dannybboy87

Jan 29, 2013
Melaka
FYI ... the 4AGE blacktop 20V engine is origin from AE111 levin (japan spec) ... can get a halfcut ... but dunno how much it cost ... i am a student too and after i graduate i am thinking of transplanting 4AGE blacktop 20V into my AE111 ... but of course ... keep money first la

but i still dunno much about the 4AGE blacktop 20V engine pros and cons ... only i know is powerful :P ... can ask the experts here ...

1k to fix only the bocor exhaust system? expensive lol ... i think my place if everything done only close to abt rm800 only ...

and speaking about the chassis ... srry i really cant help as i am not expert ... you really need to bring it to a qualified shop to get it checked ... dun know much abt it ...

The repairs done previously i dun really know much about mine cos mine is bought over from my parents ... just regular maintenance and if funny problems comes ... fixed it ... btw i am also sometimes itchy hand go modify here and there

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Well it seem you're not an ordinary car owner that you started to customizing stuff on the car itself. The actual question is that if you have the passion of visiting workshop for bringing it back to life step by step you may continue the journey with it. But since you are a student, assumed you are not earning any fix monthly income yet i would suggest you to let go this unit.

- The hood not align most probably would be just installation error where you can re-align it yourself just need two person to hold and adjust slowly.
- (If you decided to restore)For the chassis, i suggest you bring it to a familiar bodywork and let them inspect how bad was the accident before. Missing nut can just be found anywhere any workshop as long as size matches.
- For the wheels i can tell it is not a big fuss, i own the similar model and through experience i learn it was designed that way.

Question for you why was many of the defect was not looked into before getting the car ? Was it from someone you knew or second car dealer ? May i also ask what spec is that wheels? JJ / offset.

If you don't have the money to upgrade then don't consider it, maintain it instead. There are very much discovery needed if restoration is decided, fuel consumption is the worst that have to be resolved ASAP.
I am not familiar with any body shop, any suggestions? I need a place where I can get everything checked about the chassis main frame and someone suggested the undercarriage.

For the missing nut, the place where the nut fits into the fender is just a small gap, not enough for the nut. Assuming, they bent the body inwards too much causing one tyre on the right to stick out ( I think).

Well, when buying the car, I looked whether the car ran smooth. If the body seemed relatively well maintained. I mean superficially, unless looked in carefully, none of these are very noticeable. I got it from a secondhand car dealer after trading my AE92 and some cash.

The wheels are 15", 7JJ and 32 ET.

I really don't have enough money to upgrade. And selling it within a few months becomes questionable in itself.

So I would really appreciate it if you could suggest a good and reliable body shop and a shop where I can overhaul or fix things...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I bought a 96 AE 111 about 2 months ago. Had to change the steering rack, steering pump immediately due to leak. After I felt the car vibrate, I was asked to change the engine mounts and front lower arms with all the joints. So I did. By then I had spent around 3K. In a few days I found out that my car had a major accident; the headlights are not aligned, the hood has been taken from a car with a 5AFE engine (mine is 4AFE), which is not aligned either, the front tire is sticking out as they bend the fender too much inwards for which the nut in the middle couldnt be fixed, the trunk leaks and also is slightly out of position. And also there is also welding done on the chassis, there is a scratch on the windshield. None of these are noticeable unless looked very carefully. I will attach all the pictures here.
Now I have done some personalisation- rims, sound system, tint, lights- which took up around another 2.5K.
Recently, the fuel consumption has gone bad!!!! it's like 10km/10RM. Before I could do more than twice of it. I can constantly hear a muffled sound from below, possibly something in the exhaust. Whenever I accelerate, I can feel the car vibrate. Previously vibration only occurred during idling, but now at high speed around 100, the car starts vibrating and I have to reduce my speed. It's getting worse now as in the vibration is beginning at lower speeds and also when climbing. This is seriously worrying me.
I have been thinking of overhauling my car in the hopes that the problems will go away. Any other suggestions? Should overhauling solve my problem? I found a shop called Dworks and have heard good things about it and they're charging around 4K to overhaul, paint the engine bay and engine head.

Please help me out in this situation. I am very unsure what to do with this car now. Moreover, I am college student. Buying a new car would mean more loss. I dont have the money to upgrade. The dealer cheated me with a previously damaged car. Now I cant cheat people selling it to them. I am very much traumatized owning this car.
Problems that comes with buying a used car. Worn parts, things that needs servicing, worn engine and worse will be accident before.
Since you have already done so much on the car already might as well keep for the time being.
As for the FC are you sure is 10km for RM10, that is really really bad. Calculated is 2 km/l...:confused:
My 2.0L turbo can do at least 6 to 7km/l

Last edited:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
I am not familiar with any body shop, any suggestions? I need a place where I can get everything checked about the chassis main frame and someone suggested the undercarriage.

For the missing nut, the place where the nut fits into the fender is just a small gap, not enough for the nut. Assuming, they bent the body inwards too much causing one tyre on the right to stick out ( I think).

Well, when buying the car, I looked whether the car ran smooth. If the body seemed relatively well maintained. I mean superficially, unless looked in carefully, none of these are very noticeable. I got it from a secondhand car dealer after trading my AE92 and some cash.

The wheels are 15", 7JJ and 32 ET.

I really don't have enough money to upgrade. And selling it within a few months becomes questionable in itself.

So I would really appreciate it if you could suggest a good and reliable body shop and a shop where I can overhaul or fix things...
William - Trial Tuning, Sungai Besi. Not familiar with them but they are well recognized getting toyota's sort out.

DU Car, Damansara Uptown facing LDP. Old boss a retired corolla geek.

Ah Fatt - E&T Car Service, Damai Perdana Cheras. Mainly does performance stuff but just point out your question anyway.

Panjang - Daz Garage, Old Klang Road a few row shop behind brothers. Easy to spot, bunch to toyota parked outside.

Acai - Haz Garage, Salak South. Execellent workmanship but expect slow delivery because he does things with passion and he is out of helps.

Danny - Danny Auto Work & Service, Pandan Indah. They used to be quite active on forum you might look back to old threads.

Mounting price sounds fair, did you took any photo of it before installation? Wana have a look. On exhaust, 1k is not cheap what material was he quoting you? And where? If no intention of going performance, just go for a simple 2inch piping normal steel exhaust. Below 800 should cover you total setup start after catalytic converter ( mid silencer + piping + rear muffler ).

The only drawback of 4age 20v is getting the correct mechanic to tune ignition distributor to ideal mode that matches ron95. Because out of factory the engine was default to ron97 in Japan. Else engine ends up knocking badly. There aren't really any big issue of having the engine, just enough power for daily usage and quite an economical performance engine with wide parts still available.

Might wana join Toyota 1 Stop group on fb if you are a regular. Lot's of stuff can be found especially for your model.

Last edited:

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Problems that comes with buying a used car. Worn parts, things that needs servicing, worn engine and worse will be accident before.
Since you have already done so much on the car already might as well keep for the time being.
As for the FC are you sure is 10km for RM10, that is really really bad. Calculated is 2 m/l...:confused:
My 2.0L turbo can do at least 6 to 7km/l
That is indeed really really bad. It concerns me to go far for workshops too. It has become like that for about a week now.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

FYI ... the 4AGE blacktop 20V engine is origin from AE111 levin (japan spec) ... can get a halfcut ... but dunno how much it cost ... i am a student too and after i graduate i am thinking of transplanting 4AGE blacktop 20V into my AE111 ... but of course ... keep money first la

but i still dunno much about the 4AGE blacktop 20V engine pros and cons ... only i know is powerful :P ... can ask the experts here ...

1k to fix only the bocor exhaust system? expensive lol ... i think my place if everything done only close to abt rm800 only ...

and speaking about the chassis ... srry i really cant help as i am not expert ... you really need to bring it to a qualified shop to get it checked ... dun know much abt it ...

The repairs done previously i dun really know much about mine cos mine is bought over from my parents ... just regular maintenance and if funny problems comes ... fixed it ... btw i am also sometimes itchy hand go modify here and there

Yeah I know 4AGE 20V Blacktop is originally from Levin. I have heard records of people changing back to original engine for problems they faced.

I thought so too. 1K is too much. Any estimated price? or suggested place?

Hopefully I can get the chassis checked today. Now my only concern being, with the high FC how far would I make.

Lucky you, you got it from your parents. You know how it had been treated and driven. For me, i dont even know how the accident happened, what are the effects it left and how bad will it be for me

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

William - Trial Tuning, Sungai Besi. Not familiar with them but they are well recognized getting toyota's sort out.

DU Car, Damansara Uptown facing LDP. Old boss a retired corolla geek.

Ah Fatt - E&T Car Service, Damai Perdana Cheras. Mainly does performance stuff but just point out your question anyway.

Panjang - Daz Garage, Old Klang Road a few row shop behind brothers. Easy to spot, bunch to toyota parked outside.

Acai - Haz Garage, Salak South. Execellent workmanship but expect slow delivery because he does things with passion and he is out of helps.

Danny - Danny Auto Work & Service, Pandan Indah. They used to be quite active on forum you might look back to old threads.

Mounting price sounds fair, did you took any photo of it before installation? Wana have a look. On exhaust, 1k is not cheap what material was he quoting you? And where? If no intention of going performance, just go for a simple 2inch piping normal steel exhaust. Below 800 should cover you total setup start after catalytic converter ( mid silencer + piping + rear muffler ).

The only drawback of 4age 20v is getting the correct mechanic to tune ignition distributor to ideal mode that matches ron95. Because out of factory the engine was default to ron97 in Japan. Else engine ends up knocking badly. There aren't really any big issue of having the engine, just enough power for daily usage and quite an economical performance engine with wide parts still available.

Might wana join Toyota 1 Stop group on fb if you are a regular. Lot's of stuff can be found especially for your model.
Thank you so much! I'll look into these shops for whichever be most appropriate. Really appreciate it!

I dnt have the pictures before installation of the mountings. But since they have a year warranty I suppose, it's okay.

I am sure of what material was the exhaust. They should me 3/4 both stainless steel and aluminium. The shop was in Seri Kembangan. dnt remember the exact name though. Any idea how much should a catalytic converter cost, if it needs replacement?

I have also heard about a few having similar issues with their 4AGE engine. Thanks for sharing!

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Whenever I accelerate, I can feel the car vibrate. Previously vibration only occurred during idling, but now at high speed around 100, the car starts vibrating and I have to reduce my speed. It's getting worse now as in the vibration is beginning at lower speeds and also when climbing. This is seriously worrying me.
As for the vibration part, you may check your tire,wheel and driveshaft.
1-The tire may bengkak already.
2-The wheel may bengkok during accident.
3-Driveshaft also may bengkok during accident.

My advice is send your car to tire shop and ask them for balancing or better with on wheel balancing. If something wrong, they will know right away.

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I went to a body shop(BF) today and they checked my chassis and said my chassis is not completely damaged but it's slightly bent to the right for which the engine position has been moved. Mind you, he took no measurements. Just jacked the car up to check the bottom. He said fixing the chasis will take around 2K and around another 2.2K to paint. And if fixed, it can be road-fit again. And I'll be able to drive it for the next 2/3 years without a problem. He also said that if I sell it I loose all the money I sent on this one without a return. Then again, it is my call. Moreover, he asked me to drive slow, cause in such conditions the car may roll if overspeeding in a highway on a rainy day.

Then I went to check with DazGarage, as I had heard they specialise in Toyotas. Even though they do, he seemed least interested in my car and seeing the welding he suggested I sell it immediately and if needed buy another car of the same model.

Finally I went to check the Trial Tuning in Sungai Besi. They checked and measured my fenders. The right side diagonally is 1cm shorter than the left. They are yet to give me a quotation tomorrow. But they said fixing the fender would cost around 1K. They said everything else is fine except for the body being bent to the left. Yet again, it's upto me whether I want to keep and fix it or buy another one.

Any suggestions what to do exactly :( ?

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
You had answers of your question on defect. And you know where to go have it done. What should you do ? You should know better, save up and send for repair ? Prioritize which is more important, if it does not endanger driving schedule it for later.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
No test drive when buying it? So far touched wood, I bought a Kelisa from 2nd hand dealer and a kancil from private seller. Both no problems and I was allowed to test drive. I check every part that was necessary and the only problem was Kelisa mounting wasnt that good and he replaced with a half cut one that lasted me for 2 years and now more vibrations felt.

Anyway, is up to your own budget whether u think is worth repairing or the money u r gonna spend, is better use for getting a new ride.
But seems u have already spend so much in getting the car back to shape, I would just continue to get it fix and running again if the workshops are confident that the problem can be fix.

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi qms_ria, how much did you get your AE111 for?

This is not for the sake of rubbing it in; it's for the sake of calculations. Put it this way, if you were to keep the car, you will still have to spend another
-2k to fix body and 2.2k to paint (as quoted by BF)
-1k to fix fender and God knows how much to fix body (as quoted by Trial)
-Your exhaust will cost around 700-1k.
-Engine overhaul plus painting engine bay and head another 4k (Dwork).

That is another 10k!

Of course, some of the above are optional and not really essential at this stage (eg. painting of body, engine bay and head). But at the end of the day, you have spent that much just trying to restore the car to its original condition (money you could have used for upgrades), and you will always wonder whether the body is still suffering from the effects of the accident; as I'm sure you would have heard, an accident car can never get back to 100%.

I would suggest you cut your losses and just sell this car because in the long run, trying to solve all these problems will give you more headaches than it is worth. Some people are willing to put up with that headache perhaps because the car has some sentimental value to them but evidently that isn't the case here.

Just spend a little to fix up the essential stuff (vibrations, poor fc - for which a radical solution like full overhaul is seldom required unless the engine is proven to be in really poor condition) so that the car can be sold in presentable condition. You have already spent
-3k on steering rack and pump, engine mounting, undercarriage etc, that's not retrievable.
-However, your rims, sound system, lights etc for 2.5k, that you can easily remove.

So since you have not bought this car very long ago (just a couple of months), your car value should still be similar. Add in the repairs you have done (new engine mounting etc) you should still be able to get similar price for your car, at most just a few thousand ringgit loss.

Ultimately, put it this way: If you sell the car now, you might lose some RM5k; but you will be spending another 10k in the long run if you keep the car, just to repair it..

As sifu levin818 once told me, "Sometimes a decision is hard to make but it will get you to where you want."

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A report out of Germany today from the country’s top automotive support service, ADAC (the German equivalent of the AAA of US), claims that the most reliable cars - based on analysis of their receipt of 2 million calls for help - in Germany are of German make. BMW’s X3 tops the list, and is followed by Audi’s A2 and BMW’s 1-series. But there’s a small problem in the analysis: the X3 isn’t made by BMW.

For those familiar...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience