Airtrek Turbo - Drop In vs. Open Pod

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I'll comment about this specifically for Airtreks or Evos. I've been using K&N drop in since I got the Airtrek 5 years ago. Never tried open pod before, and now itchy handed.

For my previous cars, I've opted for brands like RS Akimoto, HKS and even Simota. Back then, that was the very first mod I'll put in my cars.

Mighty Car Mods dynoed and proved that drop in filters produces the same amount of power compared to open pod. It'll even loose power with open pod when hood closed. So if I wanna opt for open pod, it's for only 1 single reason, I want to listen to the turbo spooling sound! Yes, since I've upgraded to TD05 a year ago, the spooling sound can be heard even with my stock airbox. Just imagine if I use open pod, I'll assume that it's gonna be pretty loud.

I know stock airbox design is the best in terms of daily use. Rain, hot, cold ... works well in all conditions. Now that I am thinking what else I can do for fun...

Bros with open pod, can you comment? Especially to those who swapped the original box with open pod, what is the difference you felt?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Very dry lately. A lot of dust. Don't wanna mess up the engine bro. Hehe.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I recalled the good old days when I was with my Satria 1.3GLi (4G13P). I hooked up RS Akimoto (it was K&N rebranded I remembered) and the intake sounded just like VTEC kicked in yo! Hahaha..

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm, I'm a bit weary of dyno test involving open pods mainly because you can't simulate the operating condition of an engine on the dyno. This is especially significant in terms engine heat soaked by the the exposed open pod.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Agreed. That's why MCM dyno tested the filters with hood closed. Using Open Pods actually loose power unless proper cold air intake and heat sheild are in place. Even that, original airbox setup is the best, that's why.

Maybe it will benefit in colder climates like around 10c during winter.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Not sure though... maybe can ask around. Are you planning to buy a stock evo intercooler + piping? I believed it will certainly fit. Many though replace it with after market connectors and stainless steel piping for cosmetic enhancement. :) It looks faster on standstill. Kekekeke...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TGR Street Race to hit Terengganu first weekend of August for Season 2!

After a sensational first season of Toyota's Gazoo Racing Festival, the much celebrated Street Circuit Racing series now moves into its latest season 2, with 2 new racing venues to be expected this year...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience