Car & Name. Do they make any differences?

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Mercedes and BMW has the best naming conventions (I feel).

Exxx or 5xx, the first alphabet denotes the model, and the numbers behind the displacement (but now its more of an indication of the displacement output, since small displacement with turbo came into the picture).

It is short, easy to understand, easy to communicate to others, and it has a long lineage. Both BMW and Mercedes makes it easy to refer to a specific model year, with model numbers i.e. E60, W212 etc.

Stupid names are like Proton Preve, it cannot be spelled out, cannot be typed out unless you take the time to figure out how to type the styled e (which I did not). Suprima S is another stupid name. What is the S for? There's no Suprima, then what is the Suprima S? VW didn't call their normal Golf as Golf R. R stood for something, not just adding silly letters to the name and make it look canggih. Kepala otak only canggih to you.

I agree names like Tiara and Juara is good. Saga, Wira, I have no qualms. Arena had a nice ring to it. Inspira is also a good name. Savvy..omg bodoh name.

Perodua names were stupid as well with the animals. If they made a full size MPV maybe they call it Gajah, Gergasi or Paus. Thank god new names like Myvi, Alza, Nautica..sounds good, modern.

Companies like Ferrari, Lambo can afford to go with more fancy names because they have smaller range of cars, and less general models, and each special/limited model is, well, limited.. its a different type of market they address.
Whilst I agree with the simplicity and function of BeeEm's naming structure, I find it lacks a bit of emotion to it compared to something like, say Maserati Quattroporte (unless you're Italian, in which case Maserati '4 doors' is as emotive as a stapler....:biggrin:)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Whilst I agree with the simplicity and function of BeeEm's naming structure, I find it lacks a bit of emotion to it compared to something like, say Maserati Quattroporte (unless you're Italian, in which case Maserati '4 doors' is as emotive as a stapler....:biggrin:)
BMW is the ultimate driving machine. The emotion comes from driving it, and after driving it, you associate that emotion to the name. Without driving it, its just silly numbers. You can't communicate emotion through a name unless you're Italian.

Maserati is a good example. Another is Lamborghini Aventador, just the name gives you the emotion rushing through your veins. Attempt to do it with anything OTHER than Italian is just silly, for example, Suprima S.. or Golf R.. yes Golf R is silly... feels like a Type R Golf cart. It doesn't give as strong an emotion like say La Ferrari, or Ferrari Enzo.. or even the Lancia Delta Integrale.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I remember my aunt pronounced the Maserati Quattroporte as Masirati Kuatro-po-dey....Hahaha...I can't stop laughing....sometimes names like this sound nice to us that can pronounced them correctly but it sounds damn funny when you ask the average people to pronounced them.
I have a chinese customer in ShangHai he tells me wish to own a Ferrari Ezo....I was thinking very hard until I click what he said....Ferrari Enzo......

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I remember my aunt pronounced the Maserati Quattroporte as Masirati Kuatro-po-dey....Hahaha...I can't stop laughing....sometimes names like this sound nice to us that can pronounced them correctly but it sounds damn funny when you ask the average people to pronounced them.
I have a chinese customer in ShangHai he tells me wish to own a Ferrari Ezo....I was thinking very hard until I click what he said....Ferrari Enzo......
Sounds like Ferrari Izso. :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ha! ha! you faster then me. Should be a green one then.......:biggrin::biggrin:
Hang out longer together. Tend to be able to read each other's mind haha!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
yeah...I know what you mean, TR.

It's always very tricky to pronounce Italian or French Marques....

Even the same spelling, American and UK would pronounce it different. Example: Coupe. One is pronouced as "koup", another as "koup-pey"

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
peugeot also nice...the model, followed by 0 (dont know what is means), then followed by version...
i think version is more important than displacement, or output, or level (just what BMW did recently)..

BMW did it to differentiate different level even its the same series..
can be clearly seen that you bought the expensive 3 series or the cheaper one...

Audi? lets just get the cheapest A4...no one knows...

using output as model name is just stupid..like renault (sport) did...
if they got like honda engine, so many different power level, how to name it?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
somehow, proton has got no numbering for their car models. All the name damn khengchau. Especially those heroic Waja, Wira, Satria:adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nissan Pulsar.

Dumbass name. Pulsar is basically a dying star. Why name a car after a dying star?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I noticed that china made cars has many keng-chau names. But the performance of the car is far from the names.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Generally speaking, American muscle and Italian flare are the last things to get in bed especially so when it involves their respective rolling art. Nonetheless, the union between Fiat and Chrysler will undoubtedly lead to some interesting combos and even rebadging, one of which has already popped up.

Chrysler are very...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience