Advice needed - BMW E30 JDM swap

A_Lee

Jan 5, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hello pros and sifus,
As the topic above, I would like to swap my E30 for a 3SGE or F20C. As you can see, both engine manage to tick all the requirement needed by the E30. I had seen a lot of project has been done by those who lived in the Australia as well as the native of the USA. I'm so horny to make a project of it. But I've discovered some problem:

1. My budget is only capable from RM10k-RM15K. Planning it to be a NA as far as possible. Any comments for turbo's swap such as SR20DET is acceptable but will it be reliable?

2. As far as reliable is a concern, I would like to make this car as a daily drive. So reliability is a big issue for me. (first time project). Will it pass JPJ and Puspakom endorsement? I wouldn't mind if I have to take a back door.:listen:

3. All projects conducted are only ang moh alone. I don't see any Malaysian did this. Ang Moh very clever too, make things on their own like they just pass engineering degree. Me? I want to throw it into a shop as I've had no knowledge in my hand. PLEASE ADVICE!!

P/S: My first time as an OP, please bear with me of all these long essays, for BMW purists, i'm sorry.(my family own a e46, suffered EML, Engine failure, Transmission failure, no more bmw parts for me). THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

A_Lee

Jan 5, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I've try to avoid turbo. Hmm, as far as I concern is that turbo is not reliable, if you want to make reliable, add turbo timer. But turbo timer would be a mess on the dashboard. I wanna keep it stock. Or 1jz is reliable? I can think about if it is reliable as daily car. Thanks

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I've try to avoid turbo. Hmm, as far as I concern is that turbo is not reliable, if you want to make reliable, add turbo timer. But turbo timer would be a mess on the dashboard. I wanna keep it stock. Or 1jz is reliable? I can think about if it is reliable as daily car. Thanks
1JZ super strong. Do routine maintenance is enough.
1jz reliability issues?

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
for E30 maybe you can choose either SR20 DE/DET or RB20/25 DE/DET. for SR you will enjoy better engine respond and FC. RB is quite lazy at low RPMs and thirsty too. But the sound of 6cyl is sweeetttt.!

A_Lee

Jan 5, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you to all for your kind input. Err, I might stick to SR20DET as the car registered as 1.8 as stock. I've scared that 2.5 1JZ won't make me pass JPJ. Does SR20DET is as tank as 1JZ?

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
Thank you to all for your kind input. Err, I might stick to SR20DET as the car registered as 1.8 as stock. I've scared that 2.5 1JZ won't make me pass JPJ. Does SR20DET is as tank as 1JZ?
i have no experience with SR20 DE/DET.. but this engine is proven since late 80's until the 08'-09' SR20 powered X-Trail. There must be plenty of parts available.

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
go for SR20DE or DET. why?
1. timing chain. Unlike RB and 1j. so.. less maintenance there.
2. 4 pot vs 6 pot. engine oil wise. U get what I mean.
3. wiring issue....(this is when the pre-installation is done to the engine bay) SR wins compared to RB and 1j.
for 1j be it non vvti or vvti...u really2 need and expert to do the wiring.
4. roadtax is off course cheaperlah. RM880 for 2.5cc. RM379 for 2.0cc.
5. parts? its everywhere on halfcut. Unless u opted for an S15 spec R.
6. FC? keep it stock. U'll be satisfied with the FC. 6 potters are A BIT drinker due to heavy engine.

A_Lee

Jan 5, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks. Really a NA engine is not recommended? Because I dislike the blow-off noise for each gear changes..

A_Lee

Jan 5, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Oops sorry, I was a bit dumbfounded by all your input. It is just that SR20 is an NA, which only produces 170hp (when new), while 20DET is a turbo right? Any other NA is better than SR20?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks. Really a NA engine is not recommended? Because I dislike the blow-off noise for each gear changes..
First time hearing this from a car enthusiast! :biggrin:

Like what peeche said, stock blowoff is recirculated so you can't really hear anything. Don't use aftermarket blow offs and you won't hear anything lor.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As stated.. how to take care of it?

meaning.. what stuff to use or applied... coz it is easily get light scratches and dull in time..

will AutoSol do the job? any other products?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience