chassis strengthening

Neo_

Known Member
Sep 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
if thats the case then i'm not sure...coz my car kenot install CAK...chasis have been into front collision...so the measurement sure lari....

or is it you were driving at 110MPH instead of 110KM/H??? :rofl:

Bro,thats what i tought.have been thinking all this while.
But when i installed they perfectly fittes it.so can say no major lari in chassis
Why dt u give it a try

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Back on this topic, eh izso, Stiff Ring for Myvi yay or nay?
I never research this thing, only know cock rings work lah.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Back on this topic, eh izso, Stiff Ring for Myvi yay or nay?
I never research this thing, only know cock rings work lah.
Nay. Makes the suspension very rough and only 2 out of 4 the rings will fit plug and play. The two that don't fit will ruin the thread.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Nay. Makes the suspension very rough and only 2 out of 4 the rings will fit plug and play. The two that don't fit will ruin the thread.
Izso, can you please elaborate more on the rings not fit and it will ruin the thread part?

I've installed it last saturday. They need to take out all the screws first and adjust the whole lower parts to make it align. If you didn't take out all the screws and place the stiff ring 1 by 1, you might face some misaligned and you can't screw back it to the chassis after the stiff ring installed.

After installed and clocked 120km (included today commute to work), this stiffs ring only reduced noise and feel more film while cross over bumping or uneven road surface. On the handling wise, it didn't give me much feeling on the improvement.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso, can you please elaborate more on the rings not fit and it will ruin the thread part?

I've installed it last saturday. They need to take out all the screws first and adjust the whole lower parts to make it align. If you didn't take out all the screws and place the stiff ring 1 by 1, you might face some misaligned and you can't screw back it to the chassis after the stiff ring installed.

After installed and clocked 120km (included today commute to work), this stiffs ring only reduced noise and feel more film while cross over bumping or uneven road surface. On the handling wise, it didn't give me much feeling on the improvement.
Hi Jerry, that's the thing. It isn't misaligned, it's supposed to be like that. Forcing it to be aligned back makes that 'flexible' section stiffened. I guarantee something will wear out much faster.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hi Jerry, that's the thing. It isn't misaligned, it's supposed to be like that. Forcing it to be aligned back makes that 'flexible' section stiffened. I guarantee something will wear out much faster.
Ouchh... Seriously? The wear out part is on the chassis bolt part or the screws or the stiff rings itself? You should raise this earlier so that i might reconsider to put this in.

But the feeling is different especially drive over uneven road, the noise is reduced ( lesser king-kong sound).

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Read this about Stiff Rings

Bi-metallic corrosion effect. Unless all the materials are the same type. Bolting aluminium and steel materials will cause bi-metallic corrosion.
Hi... Thanks for inputs. I read as below linked.

Do you know what metal is used to make the car chassis? I know stiff ring is Aluminum.

Quote: "To complete the cell, a conductive liquid must bridge the contact metals.
The more electrically conductive the liquid is, the greater the danger of corrosion. Seawater or salt laden moist air is more of a risk than contact with rain water or towns water."

Quote " Methods of Reducing Corrosion resulting from Galvanic Corrosion

Where contact between dissimilar metals cannot be avoided the following steps should be considered

-Select metals that are close together in the galvanic series for the relevant environment
-Avoid relatively small areas of the less noble metal and large areas of the more noble metal
-Insulate the metals from each other
-Exclude electrolyte from around the bimetallic junction e.g painting
-Paint both metals where possible: if impractical paint the most noble metal
-Provide additional corrosion allowance on the less noble metal
-Apply compatible metal or sacrificial metal coatings
-If electrical insulation is used to minimise the risk, then test for the insulation quality as part of maintenance regime "
Am I missing something here? What is the hype about an aluminium spacer? From the diagram, it works the same as a $0.20 spacer and worse still it changes the original designed / intended geometry of the suspension system (albeit not by much).

Also, how can we "correct the car body basic geometry by filling the gap between the subframe bolts.....". does this mean all new cars are not optimally designed and people like you and me (and other farmers) can buy this "stiff ring" to improve the design of the car suspension system? I think most (if not all) of the engineers working in car manufacture/design dept, will be very hurt.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
as i know, stiff ring or rigid collar is to make sub-frame aligned with chassis.
stock hole and bolt have gap between them (this is general example. not sure about certain car manufacturer)

i think picture can describe it. picture from stiffring site.

Stiff Ring - Redefine Chassis Stability

just share my thought.. :idea:

about the corrosion i have no idea..

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
as i know, stiff ring or rigid collar is to make sub-frame aligned with chassis.
stock hole and bolt have gap between them (this is general example. not sure about certain car manufacturer)

Stiff Ring is assuming that the chassis isn't aligned out of factory? :confused:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban

Ya, I can feel the difference immediately after i installed it. Regarding the corrosion part, i got no idea on it. Anyone here can share their experience on it?

Stiff Ring is assuming that the chassis isn't aligned out of factory? :confused:
The chassis and the subframe is aligned when it's out from the factory. After a year or some mileage, the subframe and the chassic started misaligned. I know about myvi only, i'm not sure on other cars.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
maybe thats why they came out with this Stiff ring product.
from what i understand, from factory, the hole between the bolt have gap, so the sub-frame is either tight down to the chassis abit to the left/right or front/rear.

with this stiff ring, the sub-frame will fully centered with chassis, by properly aligned without gap around the sub-frame bolt hole and chassis.

anyway, i think rigid-stuff came out 1st for honda (iinm), then stiff-ring produce for other vehicle.

:itsme:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Means should have some free play?.....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Means should have some free play?.....:driver:
Yup.

Ya, I can feel the difference immediately after i installed it. Regarding the corrosion part, i got no idea on it. Anyone here can share their experience on it?

The chassis and the subframe is aligned when it's out from the factory. After a year or some mileage, the subframe and the chassic started misaligned. I know about myvi only, i'm not sure on other cars.
That's not true la. There are tolerances built into the frame and chassis. Too stiff and more force on other components. On my Myvi it does the same thing as you reported - quieter chassis. But not on my Myvi, someone elses one, the installation on the two was somewhat forced, the cross member had to be adjusted or lifted with one of those jacks. That tells me that it was forced to fit in.

I dunno la.

With my Wira it was quite a straightforward plug and play job. Nothing was bent or shifted or moved or anything. Just take out bolt, fit in the chassis alignment kit (mine is Racetech, not Stiffring), then bolts back in (much tighter than original fitting) and that's it.

My Myvi I only fitted the two that would fit in without over coaxing the bolt in. It stiffened up the steering and made the ride harsher. Took it out after that. Wasted my money on that.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Yup.

That's not true la. There are tolerances built into the frame and chassis. Too stiff and more force on other components. On my Myvi it does the same thing as you reported - quieter chassis. But not on my Myvi, someone elses one, the installation on the two was somewhat forced, the cross member had to be adjusted or lifted with one of those jacks. That tells me that it was forced to fit in.

I dunno la.

With my Wira it was quite a straightforward plug and play job. Nothing was bent or shifted or moved or anything. Just take out bolt, fit in the chassis alignment kit (mine is Racetech, not Stiffring), then bolts back in (much tighter than original fitting) and that's it.

My Myvi I only fitted the two that would fit in without over coaxing the bolt in. It stiffened up the steering and made the ride harsher. Took it out after that. Wasted my money on that.
Yup, I asked Drex before and found out racetech does not have any rings for myvi. You should get a experience foreman to help you install stiff rings. Because when i go there, a junior is handling my car and he is doing the same way using force (using hammer to knock) until his senior come by and teach him. Don't use force or try to knock the subframe to fit the chassis back align. He asking him to take out the 2 rings installed without problem in the first place and unscrews all the bolts. Place all the stiff rings and screw them 1 by 1. And the problem solved without any heavy force work.

I'll update this stiff rings after i clocked 40k mileage or 1 year later. I'll keep on monitor it everytime i service my car.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
Yup, I asked Drex before and found out racetech does not have any rings for myvi. You should get a experience foreman to help you install stiff rings. Because when i go there, a junior is handling my car and he is doing the same way using force (using hammer to knock) until his senior come by and teach him. Don't use force or try to knock the subframe to fit the chassis back align. He asking him to take out the 2 rings installed without problem in the first place and unscrews all the bolts. Place all the stiff rings and screw them 1 by 1. And the problem solved without any heavy force work.

I'll update this stiff rings after i clocked 40k mileage or 1 year later. I'll keep on monitor it everytime i service my car.
i thought so.. should not have any force to install the stiffring/racetech.
if the car never had any major accident, all bolt with the 'ring' should go straight into the sub-frame and chassis hole without any brute force.