Compound Haze?

titanlok

Apr 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi SIFUs at ZerotoHundred, I am new to machine polishing and recently I had try out the Meguairs D300 compound with their microfiber finishing disk and got the result below. The result is good but I think it could been better as I feel like there is light haze from the compound.

Before:

After:

From the picture I hope all the experience Sifus can help me to confirm whether this is compound haze or not?

If yes, then I am thinking to follow up with a step of Polish, will this step remove the haze as in the picture?

For Polish I have Optimum Hyper Polish and Meguairs Ultimate Polish in mind and I have some doubts and hope Sifus can share their thoughts with me.

Can I apply Opti-Seal right after the polish with OHP or polish with MUP? Or I shall remove the polishing oil from both polish with OPC then only apply OS?

TQVM! :biggrin:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Yup...looks like compound haze to me. Should look better after another step with a lighter polish. Btw, what machine did you use the D300 with?

Anyway, do you already have those products that you mentioned (OHP, Megs UP & Opti Seal)? If you plan to use Opti Seal, better go for the same brand as they should already had tested them for compatibility. Regardless, a wipedown with IPA or panel wipe or a wash with an all purpose cleaner (remember to rinse!) would help to remove any leftover polishing oil from the surface and does help with the bonding of a sealant (better performance).

titanlok

Apr 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup...looks like compound haze to me. Should look better after another step with a lighter polish. Btw, what machine did you use the D300 with?

Anyway, do you already have those products that you mentioned (OHP, Megs UP & Opti Seal)? If you plan to use Opti Seal, better go for the same brand as they should already had tested them for compatibility. Regardless, a wipedown with IPA or panel wipe or a wash with an all purpose cleaner (remember to rinse!) would help to remove any leftover polishing oil from the surface and does help with the bonding of a sealant (better performance).
I am using Meguairs 110V2 DA polisher. At the moment I have Opti-Seal but not OHP that's why I am looking for a good polish where I can resolve the haze from the compound.

As compare between MUP and OHP, I really have no idea which one is the better one by looking at the result<>price. How much OHP selling now?

Even with OHP is it I still need to clean the surface again with apc? Can I clean with OPC with 3:1 dilution?

* sorry as I need to ask, IPA=??

Too much questions and thanks so much for sharing! :p

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
I am using Meguairs 110V2 DA polisher. At the moment I have Opti-Seal but not OHP that's why I am looking for a good polish where I can resolve the haze from the compound.

As compare between MUP and OHP, I really have no idea which one is the better one by looking at the result<>price. How much OHP selling now?

Even with OHP is it I still need to clean the surface again with apc? Can I clean with OPC with 3:1 dilution?

Too much questions and thanks so much for sharing! :p
The differences between MUP OHP is one consumer and the other professional
After looking at my PC screen I seems to notice that
Not only there is compound haze but rather there is not enough cut

What pad combo you use? Speed ? Passes? And how often you Clean your pad?

titanlok

Apr 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The differences between MUP OHP is one consumer and the other professional
After looking at my PC screen I seems to notice that
Not only there is compound haze but rather there is not enough cut

What pad combo you use? Speed ? Passes? And how often you Clean your pad?
Hi Sifu KC, I must admit my technique/skills is noob as this is my first time handle the DA110v2. I remember it is 2-3 passes with moderate pressure speed 4 then 1-2passes with speed 3. Using the microfiber cutting disk. I need to improve my skills.. :p

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Hi Sifu KC, I must admit my technique/skills is noob as this is my first time handle the DA110v2. I remember it is 2-3 passes with moderate pressure speed 4 then 1-2passes with speed 3. Using the microfiber cutting disk. I need to improve my skills.. :p
Everybody must starts from some where

I reckon u Do not cut enough

Keep practice till u master it

Swing by if needeed

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Not sure about OHP, but I have used Opt Polish II & Opt Finishing Polish. The MUP's cut is somewhere in the middle of the two and can finish as good as OFP. Though, on a DA, the difference won't be much.

All polishes would have one form of 'oil'/lubricant or another to prevent it against drying during polishing and scouring the paint. These 'oil' *could* slightly interfere with the bonding of the sealant/wax. For an enthusiast (i.e. those crazy hobbyist) this could make a world of a difference, but under normal circumstances, you won't be able to notice it until you've tried it a few times. Some general tall tale signs would be like wax/sealant takes longer to dry, more prone to streaking/clouding when buffing off, surface is silky smooth even without wax/sealant applied, etc.

Again, I do not have much experience with OHP, but even with Opti Seal/OCWax after OP II or OFP, I do noticed some differences during application and also performance if I were to do a wipedown with panel wipe (be it a wash-down, IPA wipe or with any other solvent).

So, lets just say that there's really no 'NEED' to clean the surface but, if you're OCD enough, it would be wise to do it if you have the time. Anyway, you won't really know (and not to mention difficult to describe) unless you've tried it yourself.

OPC or any all purpose cleaner would do fine (some manufacturers even recommend to use dish washing liquid:hmmmm2:...but I'd rather advice to use a proper panel wipe made for car paintwork if you can get hold of any). Just remember to rinse thoroughly as almost all cleaners would utilise surfactant for cleaning purposes and these need to be rinse off as well.

Isopropyl Alcohol....something like those alcohol that you use to clean cd lenses, electronic circuits, etc.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe width="335" height="250" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xOZNsSWcWDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mazda is set to launch it's compact SUV, the all-new Mazda CX-5 compact crossover in 2012. It is the first SUV of its kind to feature the SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY engine technology. The SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY has one of the highest engine compression in history of 14.0:1. It is also one of the cleanest in the Mazda stable. Mazda has a new design theme, called the 'KODO - Soul...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience