Camry 2.2 (SXV20) Questions

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Hi all Toyota sifus..once again going to buy a reliable Toyota. This time its the 2.2 Camry facelift to be specific. All my research shows its equipped with a 5SFE.

Anyone here can share some info bout this car as below;

-Fuel consumption (i will do 100% city)
-Common problems to check
-No of gears (4spd or 5?)

Thanks all

Below is a reference pic of the Camry;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry_(XV20)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
just from my fren's experience of owning the car for 3 years. he bought it 2nd hand, stock standard.
The car's ecu "kong" twice (without any reason), but had them replaced.

Not much of other problem.

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
just from my fren's experience of owning the car for 3 years. he bought it 2nd hand, stock standard.
The car's ecu "kong" twice (without any reason), but had them replaced.

Not much of other problem.
Haha wow, perhaps that unit was especially bad.

Any others?

axg9

Sep 30, 2006
i bought mine earlier this year. after lots of repairing, now its running fine. i had a problem with the ecu once few months ago. sent it to my mech and he reset the ecu. sometimes the car couldnt start. after he reset the ecu, everything works fine....

fuel consumption is crap! lol... im comparing it with 1st gen vios. 85% city driving with lots of traffic jam and 15% highway. i used to fill around rm50-rm70 for a week for the vios. with this camry, im filling up rm90 every week... but i just dont care. i just love the car... couldnt get a 1995 toyota mark II, this is the closest thing that i could get..lol

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
i bought mine earlier this year. after lots of repairing, now its running fine. i had a problem with the ecu once few months ago. sent it to my mech and he reset the ecu. sometimes the car couldnt start. after he reset the ecu, everything works fine....

fuel consumption is crap! lol... im comparing it with 1st gen vios. 85% city driving with lots of traffic jam and 15% highway. i used to fill around rm50-rm70 for a week for the vios. with this camry, im filling up rm90 every week... but i just dont care. i just love the car... couldnt get a 1995 toyota mark II, this is the closest thing that i could get..lol
bro, vios isn't even 2000cc, but camry is 2200cc. Fuel consumption cannot be compared like that.

axg9

Sep 30, 2006
bro, vios isn't even 2000cc, but camry is 2200cc. Fuel consumption cannot be compared like that.
i know bro. just wanted to say that, if ure used to small, fuel saving cars, camry isnt going to do the same, or even get close to it. i had never driven 2000cc cars before so this is just based on my experience of having driven a smaller cc car than sxv20. (10 years ago my father used to own a volvo 240, but back then fuel was cheap so didnt really care about fuel consumption) i should have compared it with sxv30. :banghead: somebody once said that sxv30 will achieve better fuel consumption than sxv20. because of the vvti engine...

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My friend own the XV10 instead which I find it nicer than the Uncle Look XV20, no offense just my pov. But then for the XV10 that he owns since both are using same 5S-FE for the 2.2L models. Fuel Consumption according to him sucks. Bad FC.

Only good thing about it he told me is that it is damn stable on high speeds due to the heavy body I guess.

But why this camry? If u are not power crazy and want reliability, the 2.2L Camry has almost the same HP as the 2005 Corolla Altis which is only 1.8L and yet FC is good as well if u r talking about reliable Toyota and low fuel consumption. Is a good car to consider.

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site

What is your mileage for RM50 & RM70 worth of petrol? Mine currently is 80+km for RM30 of petrol @ 100% city driving, or 7km/liter :rofl:

2 cases of faulty ecu... hoooo crap now I'm scared to go near this Camry lol

does the car feel underpowered?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
underpower question is subjective. some ppl still would say 300whp is inadequate. My unker's wife drive a myvi say the car too powerful for her pulak, and wanted to drive back her kelisa....

axg9

Sep 30, 2006
What is your mileage for RM50 & RM70 worth of petrol? Mine currently is 80+km for RM30 of petrol @ 100% city driving, or 7km/liter :rofl:

2 cases of faulty ecu... hoooo crap now I'm scared to go near this Camry lol

does the car feel underpowered?
what car do u drive now?
RM50-70 for petrol is around 280km for my vios.
RM90 for my camry for the same 280km. but long distance, very very safe. last week i got 400km + for rm90...

im not sure if its underpowered or not. but acceleration from 0 is really hard. but when it gets to 100+, you can really feel some power...

just a question, why r u choosing this car?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
what car do u drive now?
RM50-70 for petrol is around 280km for my vios.
RM90 for my camry for the same 280km. but long distance, very very safe. last week i got 400km + for rm90...

im not sure if its underpowered or not. but acceleration from 0 is really hard. but when it gets to 100+, you can really feel some power...

just a question, why r u choosing this car?
That's kind high FC for a Vios no? RM50 - 70 for real?

axg9

Sep 30, 2006
That's kind high FC for a Vios no? RM50 - 70 for real?
yeah.. 85% city driving mostly in traffic jam all the time. and 15% highway. most of the time also in traffic jam... tried to drive efficiently but the farthest i could get was only 300+.. i once got 350km

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

yesterday my GF car windows was smashed on the driver side. item lost is some coins,cd player,cds.
happened in sg chua area(behind Venus) according to resident there ,few car in the area received the same fate
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience