Sport car for fresh grads

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
Nice life experience bro..I totally understand its about balance... I believe the term "dream cars" is not only those exotics or super expensive cars. Probably its an older Mazda FC or R32/33 or MR2... buying of course more expensive than your Corolla but those are also achievable dream cars coming from an enthusiast. I would just like to point out that despite 4 properties and other assets, You should do something that makes you happy, get that car you've been eyeing on or go for an unforgettable holiday trip. After all, these are either short term or the long term goals you set for yourself. I personally have not got my dream car yet.. The car that I want is actually cheaper than a car under loan now...But maintenance cost all that jazz held me back from getting it.

Back to topic, the "sports car" fresh grads should have if they can afford it is a satria GTi or putra. Unless their parents is the one forking out the money then whatever lah...fresh grads not much commitments so best to keep it zero for as long as possible. Debts is no joke.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Corolla is not a junk car. I respect Corolla, especially those with 4A-GE Blacktop/Silvertop inside it. Not forgetting the 4A-GZE of course. :biggrin:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
IMO, for fresh graduate, rather than gunning for expensive sports car but suffer, better buy cheap and save more. Once your money start working for you, you'll appreciate your efforts from the beginning even more! After all, car is a liability!
I've got a friend who took public transport for 3.5 years. He saved 70% of his monthly salary. Less commitment as he is staying in a house bought by his parent. Rented out the other rooms for extra bucks and eat cheap.
3 years later, he bought his dream 350Z with shorter loan period and still, had much balance to maintain his ride.
Another friend graduated earlier bought a used Scooby after a year in job. Until now, his car is barely moving.
Boost leaked, overdue service, squeaking absorber and scouting used shop for tyres! Sometimes borrow from friends after 18th!

One advice : modding a car can be addicted. Once you start, there is no turning back. Chick dig a guy in sporty car but they hate to
to compete...lol!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
kema, RX8 technically is 4 doors, but aiya, who's counting? :biggrin:

nice sharing.

And true fact : Women dig guys with their own houses, furnished in modern furniture and aren't sharing the house with anyone. You can be driving a shitty car but if your house is super chic, they will want to stay with you forever.

So want to catch that hot chicka you came across? Buy an reasonable and cheap car to get around and splurge on a house.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
kema, RX8 technically is 4 doors, but aiya, who's counting? :biggrin:

nice sharing.

And true fact : Women dig guys with their own houses, furnished in modern furniture and aren't sharing the house with anyone. You can be driving a shitty car but if your house is super chic, they will want to stay with you forever.

So want to catch that hot chicka you came across? Buy an reasonable and cheap car to get around and splurge on a house.
LOL! :rofl:

Like drive a BMW but reach home, house doesnt match the car :rofl:
Wont attract chicks.

Pass stage 1, fail stage 2 :rofl:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
I came across a terrace house that looks beat up and aged for 20 years but parked was a Porsche 911 on a daily basis. Tickled my bones all the time when I walk my dog pass that area. Few doors down is a Scooby GC8 as well.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I came across a terrace house that looks beat up and aged for 20 years but parked was a Porsche 911 on a daily basis. Tickled my bones all the time when I walk my dog pass that area. Few doors down is a Scooby GC8 as well.
Same man, where sometime I dont understand but then to some, having a nice cars matters
more than a house.

I think I might be one of them :rofl:

Seen one at Bandar Sri Damansara. Previously Mitsubishi 3000GT, then now change to GTR35.
If you see the house, u might think that the GTR35 is just a visitor, but everytime i pass by the
house when dropping my friends home, it is there.

The 3000GT could have been sold but once awhile still see around Kepong. White GTO.

Another one will be near my housing area but I guess either he sold it or moved somewhere else.
350Z and a mini cooper.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Same man, where sometime I dont understand but then to some, having a nice cars matters
more than a house.

I think I might be one of them :rofl:

Seen one at Bandar Sri Damansara. Previously Mitsubishi 3000GT, then now change to GTR35.
If you see the house, u might think that the GTR35 is just a visitor, but everytime i pass by the
house when dropping my friends home, it is there.

The 3000GT could have been sold but once awhile still see around Kepong. White GTO.

Another one will be near my housing area but I guess either he sold it or moved somewhere else.
350Z and a mini cooper.
Because house price in KL area is very expensive and these people rather spend the money on nice car rather than upgrading into a better house. Maybe to them, a house is just a place for them to have shelter and rest.

But in Ipoh, you won't really find any small/beat up house with nice cars. You might see the opposite instead. Big and nice house but with common or old car inside it. :rofl:

at my mom in law's hse the fella got 1 satria neo lotus edition, mitsu GTO, myvi, chevrolet opti.
but stays in a 4 storey apartment.....wtf?
Waa, where that guy park all his cars? All at the apartment parking lot? Won't scared people steal his cars?

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007

Once people get older, after they have been smacked a few times over the head with a reality stick, they will have a good idea what works in life.

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
Wow, this treads is wonderful becoz it reminds me a lot about what I always dream of being a student – (9 years ago).All of u guys are really good in giving advice and keep up the fresh grad to hold on to their dream although I can see a lot of cold and hot waters come flushing in.

Guys, If its ok, I would really love to share my part of story. It maybe long so u guys can just skip it if u find it bored. Hehehe sorry.

At that particular time, being a student I just can’t wait to work, earn money and ultimately and as quickly own a ‘Sports Car’ for myself to enjoy. What definitions of sports car is to me than?: It is a must be 2 doors cars with FR Layout or MR Layout, comes with LSD Gearbox, well balance weight distribution, got many spare parts available to tweak around, manual transmission, prefer NA engine rather than turbo and very-very fun to drives around corners! with decent audio system....To me there is no need for heavy accessories (such as oversize rim, flashy wings and spoiler). So the cars I would always envision myself behind the wheels will be cars like RX8, AE86, SW20, ZR32 (Fairlady 300zx),NSX, S2000, 180SX, E46, or the Silvia family. Wahh so damn rejuvenate that time when come to think about it!

So than I graduated, so here comes the story of what majority senior people would advise, which is, save money and spend it wisely! I graduated as an engineer but job was very tough that time, so u can’t be so picky, luckily I got an offer as a Marketing Exec. I work my damn ass out! Save some money, another mature wise advice comes in: “ Boy, car is a liability, just get ur self a decent car to get from point A to Point B’. But that doesn’t put out my fire of owning a sports car, I still believe I could own a sports car but I just need to be patient (as most of the former here advice). So what I did back then was to get myself a 2nd hand Toyota Corrolla worth RM11K. I pay cash from the saving that put up from my hard day and night work and since my student days. Ok fine, is a real boring car, I could modified it but let’s face the fact, it will never be the same handling as a sports car as what I define. So I just keep it the way it is. That time I just think it will be a waste to modify the car. But the good thing is with just minor modification, the car doesn’t give much trouble.

After 4 years of working and saving (with no major problem from the good old car), and my salary getting so-so lah, then I starts to fire up my dream again, but then again, there is an advice better to buy property coz it is an assets and it will grow ur money. So that time I was really in a dilemma. I still haven’t get married becoz I do heard lot, once u married, game over! U can say good bye to ur dream sports car, better get ur self an MPV, ur wife sure suka one! And some more, I don’t have gf that time, too bz working meh. So then with what my saving that I have I decide..to buy property…first, it start with only one, but that time property was really booming, so I get spare cash, then I try to buy IPO’s and few stocks. Some I lost and some I gain but most of it I gain. Then I invest in gold pulak. Yes cash was growing.

Now after 8 years working, I end up with 4 properties few others assets that not important to mention here. BUT unfortunately I still drive this 25 year old Toyota Corrola. People who don’t know me sure will think I’m just poor guy working his ass out. I am still single with no gf. U really can’t imagine how hard to convince a girl now a days if u just drive an old junkie like mine especially when u past the age of 30’s (people seems to portray, as a man past that age, u should be driving a more presentable car to reflex ur success).

What happened to my dream of enjoying a sports car? Well I think I have lost hope, life sometimes really feel miserable. So the only think I can do right now is just dreaming like I am driving one of my dream cars while I am behind my wheel in my Corolla. How I convince myself then? Well I would play songs from The Fast & Furious or Initial D while I’m driving my Corolla and dream as if I am in one of my dream sports car. Is really f#*king pathetic! I’m sure u guys will just tell me “to go get urself ur dreams car, u already have all the assets”. I tell u the true story man…with all the properties that I have, u can’t imagine how much monthly installment that I need to f%#king pay every month. Not to mention if my tenant pay late or there are time I need to save becoz I have no tenant to rent my properties and my agent still in the look on that particular time. And all this properties need maintenances. If u thinks maintaining a 300ZX is a pain, think twice man! Maintaining more than one properties is really a pain in the f*%king ASS. Leaking problem, electrical problem, cracking problem, ‘jamban problem’, tenant ridiculous complain, all the capital u need to fork out to make ur property in demand for rental and all other bullshit staf that come when u least expected!. Not to mention other cost of living that I’m sure others member face it here too.

I know my story is long but what I want to make my point here is, especially the one who started this tread, life is about balance. U can’t just go and chase only ur dream car or properties/investment like many people would advise (which they think is a wise advice). Is good to make money, but it is also very DAMN IMPORTANT to reward ur self. YES u must be patient, but don’t be too patient becoz u will end up miserable. Go and chase ur dream becoz that’s what motivate u and MAKES U A MAN! With u enjoying ur sports car and with the money that u have been making good (both from ur job and ur wise investment) people will look up to u! Believe me, it is a hard sad fact in Malaysia, people especially the girls or their parent (can be both) will obviously look down on u even though u have a lot of money and properties with u if u just drive an unpresentable car at a certain particular age (for me i just like to keep to myself and not to show off people around me all the assets that i have). Even though for guys a 25 year old Corolla might be a decent transportation but for girls is a hell different of a picture. To them these types of cars (if driven by single guys above 30’s) are just plain junkies for guys who have no future! So for Seng_song, I wish u all the best, keep up the flame in u and make ur self a man!
infact you will be driving a latest continental sport car in few years time. good move dude!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As I told bro. Danz, my area got latest Scooby every day park outside the house on the roadside....:rolleyes:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

For you F1 fans, the BMW Sauber F1 Team is launching its 2008 challenger live on the team's website, BMW Sauber F1 Team - Entry. The unveiling happens Monday, January 14 from 12:00 to 12:30 CET. BMW Sauber driver Nick Heidfeld has played down the team's title chances...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience