How to install a grounding cable kit - DIY style

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ohh ya one more thing, I've actually asked a shop owner of car accessories shop and he told me that grounding cable doesn't really give any difference, at least for his perdana v6. He'd advise me not to install thing kind of fancy stuff.
To me, grounding will work for older cars, where the wire resistant have sort off gone up...
For example, some old car will have like signal light problem, or brake lights problem because earth connection not good. Adding earth will solve the problem....something like that....:driver:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
To me, grounding will work for older cars, where the wire resistant have sort off gone up...
For example, some old car will have like signal light problem, or brake lights problem because earth connection not good. Adding earth will solve the problem....something like that....:driver:
Haha yea I think I mentioned in one of my post here. My friend's iswara, the clock on the dashboard doesn't show full digit for "minutes". After installing GC, wallah~ he can perform his usual Malaysian time :rofl:

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, i have some question about grounding.. Dose most cars came with grounding from the positive of the battery? Do we need to unplug the wires from positive if we wanna install a new set at negative? Or just leave it there? Some technical mat saleh (ang mo) told me need to clean the copper of the old wires too >_<'

I know nothing about eletricity, but recently i found out a creepy situation at night, everytime i drove thru that same designation road, the car's headlight will dim even with aircond off :afraid:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Guys, i have some question about grounding.. Dose most cars came with grounding from the positive of the battery? Do we need to unplug the wires from positive if we wanna install a new set at negative? Or just leave it there? Some technical mat saleh (ang mo) told me need to clean the copper of the old wires too >_<'

I know nothing about eletricity, but recently i found out a creepy situation at night, everytime i drove thru that same designation road, the car's headlight will dim even with aircond off :afraid:
When I fitted mine, I did not remove the +ve terminal. Grounding is always the -ve terminal, not +ve.
If the terminal are corroded, then cleaning them will be good.

Wah! if got any stories, please contribute to Ghost Stories topic. Anyway, Chinese 7th Ghost month coming (7/Aug) day before Hari Raya.....:driver:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

Grounding aka negative cable not fitted to positive side it's fitted to the negative pole of the car battery. You clean the negative terminal is to allow a better flow of current. Less resistance due to oxidize surface.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
When I fitted mine, I did not remove the +ve terminal. Grounding is always the -ve terminal, not +ve.
If the terminal are corroded, then cleaning them will be good.

Wah! if got any stories, please contribute to Ghost Stories topic. Anyway, Chinese 7th Ghost month coming (7/Aug) day before Hari Raya.....:driver:
I though there were some grounding cable coming out from the +ve cause it wrapped kinda thick.
Haha thanks for reminding, gonna make haze soon >_< But not so serious la, i think is some electrical thingy, because that street is one of those streets that can't build road lamp no idea why..

Grounding aka negative cable not fitted to positive side it's fitted to the negative pole of the car battery. You clean the negative terminal is to allow a better flow of current. Less resistance due to oxidize surface.
Thanks, so we usually just add-on those wires without touching or moving the old wires?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I though there were some grounding cable coming out from the +ve cause it wrapped kinda thick.
Haha thanks for reminding, gonna make haze soon >_< But not so serious la, i think is some electrical thingy, because that street is one of those streets that can't build road lamp no idea why..

Thanks, so we usually just add-on those wires without touching or moving the old wires?
Yup, just additional grounding cables....

goohtj

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004
To those who have doubt to add or not to add ground cables
1. start engine, on aircon, radio, headlights
2. use a multimeter to check the voltage between battery negative (black) point to
a)engine b)chassis

if reading is
0v (excellent/perfect) - no need add cables
<0.5v (good) - no need also
0.5v ~1v - need to add cables
>1v - must add cables.

hope this helps

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

If you found that the old earth cable of the car is no really good, you can change them to newer cables. Car wiring will age also with the car. As the cable are subjected to heat, cold, water, oil and grease. It will deteriorate over time. Also the earth point will get rusted or dirty over the years. That's why when you change or tend to add new point please clean the area with some WD40 and sand lightly on the cable lug to remove any oxidize part and spray it with WD40 then clean it again.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If you found that the old earth cable of the car is no really good, you can change them to newer cables. Car wiring will age also with the car. As the cable are subjected to heat, cold, water, oil and grease. It will deteriorate over time. Also the earth point will get rusted or dirty over the years. That's why when you change or tend to add new point please clean the area with some WD40 and sand lightly on the cable lug to remove any oxidize part and spray it with WD40 then clean it again.
Bro. TR,
Older cars ground cable are pretty thick ones. Lately for the newer cars, I see that the cable are thinner, especially the engine to car body one....:confused:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Vr2, depends on what car..I saw that the old Corrolla very thin wires

idnawse

Known Member
Aug 18, 2005
perak
i have 7 core aluminium cable (diameter about 1cm)..izzit possible to use for grounding cable? any advice sifu?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
idnawse, pic pls...

idnawse

Known Member
Aug 18, 2005
perak

actually its use for home electric wiring (for fusebox, meter like dat) .. can diy also for GC ar? :idea:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TRsL-A7Vaug" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="200" width="330"></iframe>

Never before seen footage of Malaysian Police Force's EVO X Police in a high speed chase in Penang hunting down a suspect in a Satria GTI. Something like "Getaway from Stockholm", only in real life, the bad guys do get caught. Nothing survives the chase by a Police EVO
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience