DIY: Fabricating Ground Cable

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Its depend on the cable type. Mine cost RM9 per feet(bought from workshop in Taman Maluri) as audio shop sell them close to rm20 per feet. I bought 15 feet and cut them after measuring the length. Suitable cable lug rm1.50 each and heat shrink cover is rm4 per feet (both bought from Jalan Pasar).
The Audiobank 4 gauge cable can withstand the connection from +ve battery terminal and + alternator running on audio fuse. Similar to Guangdao PC but this mod is only suggested to advance DIYers.

There are cheaper option in red cable HKS imitation(Jalan Pasar) cost rm30 which I tested okay(not promoting imitation but sometimes we need to find a reasonable ready made alternative) compare to the melting purple HKS purple imitation (stay away from this).

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Its depend on the cable type. Mine cost RM9 per feet(bought from workshop in Taman Maluri) as audio shop sell them close to rm20 per feet. I bought 15 feet and cut them after measuring the length. Suitable cable lug rm1.50 each and heat shrink cover is rm4 per feet (both bought from Jalan Pasar).
The Audiobank 4 gauge cable can withstand the connection from +ve battery terminal and + alternator running on audio fuse. Similar to Guangdao PC but this mod is only suggested to advance DIYers.

There are cheaper option in red cable HKS imitation(Jalan Pasar) cost rm30 which I tested okay(not promoting imitation but sometimes we need to find a reasonable ready made alternative) compare to the melting purple HKS purple imitation (stay away from this).
Bro the HKS purple coloured grounding cable...is it the HKS GRNDING cable? I'm using that in my car haha...and I bought it for RM10 only :biggrin::biggrin: So far so good no melting or whatsoever

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro the HKS purple coloured grounding cable...is it the HKS GRNDING cable? I'm using that in my car haha...and I bought it for RM10 only :biggrin::biggrin: So far so good no melting or whatsoever
Yes. I bought one cost rm20 when it just out in the market few years back. Installed to my friend's saga BLM. 2 years later, 2 cable has the wire mesh melted in a few spot but silicone cover is still intact....lol. Expected from cheap imitation.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yes. I bought one cost rm20 when it just out in the market few years back. Installed to my friend's saga BLM. 2 years later, 2 cable has the wire mesh melted in a few spot but silicone cover is still intact....lol. Expected from cheap imitation.
Wire mesh?? Only cable and PVC housing wor...got wire mesh?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The PVC housing is intact. Inside is wire mesh la not fit to call a cable yet...lol.
Too bad I didn't take a photo of it.
Funny thing is wire melt, PVC still intact?:confused:
Their PVC material better then the wires.....fuyoh!

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Cheap imitation use cheap wire as conduction, no chopper at all, pure chopper wire is super expensive, not to mention those metal wire coated chopper.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Those imitation ground cables not using pure copper cables. Mostly higher aluminium content mix with some cooper only. Those good ones are 100% oxygen free copper and cost quite expensive. Then go up the chart there's the silver coated cooper wires, then up again the chart gold coated...

I've also asked around for the type of cable that I salvaged from the motor I used for my ground cable. They are called flexible cable and not PVC type cable. Flexible cable the copper core is all tiny string of copper cable compare to PVC type which are thick and hard to work with but flexible cable offer the best conductivity. I tried to buy back this type of cable but they are super super expensive and no shop have stock for it. If want to buy I need to buy whole reel. I didn't dare to ask the price since the shops already say it's gonna be expensive some more it's 100% copper.

When I salvaged them I thought they would be easy to get not until I show to the shop....few days back I managed to salvage a few more cables from those industry use AC magnetic contact from Germany which was thrown away in my workshop. They are not long but more than enough for me to fabricate my own coil on plug grounding kit.

Last edited:

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Bro. very neatly done. super like.. double thumbs up.
I had pictures of full testing of ohm before and after for your grounding efforts.. will dig them up and share.

DIY the cables are definitely so much more satisfying... no matter what brand or material... the end result of it in the car and knowing you put effort into it is just priceless.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Lol you mean the copper wires melted? Copper melting point is very high wor :confused: you drive monster truck ka :biggrin:
It's not even copper. more like a line of dust...lol.
It was installed on friend's Saga BLM, not monster truck.

vr2turbo,
Yes. the wire mesh turn into liquid and aluminium dust or whatever it is in few spot. Find it out when I cut the cover.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
bro copper wires cost more than rm10 lol.. those are not copper at all.. just painted to look like copper..
China...everything is possible haha...I knw that pure copper is expensive. But even copper with impurities, the melting point is not like 100 or 200 degree C. Not that I do not believe Coldplay but I sense something is wrong at the melting part where the resistance / current at the point is so high the cable melted. The cable, although cheap, it works like normal 3 phase cable for AC power. The normal cable only cost around RM2 - RM3 per meter at electrical shops and it can take up equipment with power rating more than 1500W (I tried when I made a heating chamber last time. I can't remember what's the max amp already).

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Those imitation ground cables not using pure copper cables. Mostly higher aluminium content mix with some cooper only. Those good ones are 100% oxygen free copper and cost quite expensive. Then go up the chart there's the silver coated cooper wires, then up again the chart gold coated...

I've also asked around for the type of cable that I salvaged from the motor I used for my ground cable. They are called flexible cable and not PVC type cable. Flexible cable the copper core is all tiny string of copper cable compare to PVC type which are thick and hard to work with but flexible cable offer the best conductivity. I tried to buy back this type of cable but they are super super expensive and no shop have stock for it. If want to buy I need to buy whole reel. I didn't dare to ask the price since the shops already say it's gonna be expensive some more it's 100% copper.

When I salvaged them I thought they would be easy to get not until I show to the shop....few days back I managed to salvage a few more cables from those industry use AC magnetic contact from Germany which was thrown away in my workshop. They are not long but more than enough for me to fabricate my own coil on plug grounding kit.
Aiseh! last time my office had a lot of Copper cable for our audio system. Should have taken some and convert to Grounding cables...:driver:

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

China...everything is possible haha...I knw that pure copper is expensive. But even copper with impurities, the melting point is not like 100 or 200 degree C. Not that I do not believe Coldplay but I sense something is wrong at the melting part where the resistance / current at the point is so high the cable melted. The cable, although cheap, it works like normal 3 phase cable for AC power. The normal cable only cost around RM2 - RM3 per meter at electrical shops and it can take up equipment with power rating more than 1500W (I tried when I made a heating chamber last time. I can't remember what's the max amp already).
Bro. Cv, Thinner strand wire but many together transmit better than a few stand of thicker wire?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Aiseh! last time my office had a lot of Copper cable for our audio system. Should have taken some and convert to Grounding cables...:driver:

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Bro. Cv, Thinner strand wire but many together transmit better than a few stand of thicker wire?
From what I know, it's actually the same. It all depends on the total volume. But many small strands form a thick wire it gives better flexibility. One thick copper isn't flexi.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all,
are there anyone want to sell the WAJA original CD player.
i just want to buy the CD player only.i don't want the changer.
if got,please let me know the price...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience