Turbo Charge Car owner pls come advise

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
For those turbo charge car like Subaru, Mit Evo, Mk GTI/TSI, Skyline GTR35, Peugeot 308 Turbo, Renault Megane .... etc.

Anyone of you experience heavy traffic jam, under hot whether/temperature,any abnormal happen ?
As many people aware that Turbo charge car tend to have high temperature inside engine(that why they need turbo coolant).

Heavy jam + hot whether = car overheat ?
I saw VW golf GTI forum, and they say the car will automatic off engine due to high temperature, but don't know other brand car.

Any real owner wana share out his experience here?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Errr... my car is not that great as per list (see my signature), but it's a turbocharge one nonetheless

my experience on this, my car's water temp (the oem gauge on the meter cluster) always shows halfway mark, even when using double row aluminium radiator + low temp thermostat... whether in a jam, a hard drive or a long steady cruise the temp always shows the halfway mark

even with a friend with the same engine but with lots of mod (bigger turbo + front-mount intercooler + cams) that pushes nearly twice the hp (stock 64hp on engine, his car 120hp on wheel) also didn't overheat on a long jam on a hot day. we live in Ampang so we always have to live with the dreaded MRR2 jam

...to say that our engine did not overheat also not true... my engine already overheat twice with this time have to change to 'engine lantai'.... but it happened only when the engine already in a heavy and stress load... in my case, it's always the infamous hill climb at karak highway (KL bound after Karak Tol) when reaching Genting Sempah...

Forgive me on my long-winded response, but never heard a well-maintained turbocharged car gets overheat by simply trudging a long jam on a hot day... based on what little knowledge that I have, the turbo only can increase the water temp when its spinning because lots of modern day turbo are watercooled.... unless the owner likes to rev the life of the engine everytime it sits idle at a jam

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
One of my ride was an aged car with triple K27. So far no overheating issue when driven over a hell of traffic jam.
During CNY holiday few years back, was driving up to Cameron at snail pace due to very bad jam. Almost fry my clutch
but engine is fine.
I guess its all down to maintenance, good cooling system and good coolant. RM10 and RM50 coolant really makes a lot of different.
Last time tested the RM8 coolant on a daily ride, I need to top up the coolant reservoir tank every 2 weeks. Getting tired of it, flush the
lousy coolant and replaced with Peregrine. It had been good 8 months since the last time I top up the coolant reservoir tank.
A decent CAI with good routing and filtering help too.

halycon

Sep 28, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Short answer = No, your turbo engine should not overheat under heavy traffic jam.

Long Answer

1. You have to go back to the principles of turbo engine to better understand the "overheating" issue. In a normal traffic jam, you engine should not be in boost (i.e. the turbocharger won't be running - unless you perpetually configure your engine run the turbo in which case your engine prob won't survive long).

2. Turbo usually will kick in when you hit a certain RPM (i.e. 2.5k RPM, 3.5k RPM - depends on car make / money, self-install, etc). During traffic jams, the engine will most likely be in idle or running below 1.8k RPM

3. The engine might overheat is in incidences (mentioned by papagoines - poor / low coolant, leaking radiator, non-functional thermostat)

4. As in all disclaimer, maintenance and servicing for turbo engines are crucial. 5k service internal is prob the best to extend the life of the turbo (no one said having a turbo car will be cheap) :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For me no overheating. Engine temperature controlled by thermostat. When in a jam turbine running at idling speed does not heat up too much. If yours overheat have to send car for checking. Maybe radiator fan running at slower speed....

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Short answer = No, your turbo engine should not overheat under heavy traffic jam.

Long Answer

1. You have to go back to the principles of turbo engine to better understand the "overheating" issue. In a normal traffic jam, you engine should not be in boost (i.e. the turbocharger won't be running - unless you perpetually configure your engine run the turbo in which case your engine prob won't survive long).

2. Turbo usually will kick in when you hit a certain RPM (i.e. 2.5k RPM, 3.5k RPM - depends on car make / money, self-install, etc). During traffic jams, the engine will most likely be in idle or running below 1.8k RPM

3. The engine might overheat is in incidences (mentioned by papagoines - poor / low coolant, leaking radiator, non-functional thermostat)

4. As in all disclaimer, maintenance and servicing for turbo engines are crucial. 5k service internal is prob the best to extend the life of the turbo (no one said having a turbo car will be cheap) :biggrin:
This is not entirely true at all. Turbo runs on exhaust gas flow, therefore it still runs even during idling i.e the rev during traffic jam.

Turbo boost is when turbo hit their optimum rev, which differs from turbo to turbo, but it doesn't mean the turbo is non functioning below that rpm range. If the opposite is true, turbo timers are useless!

Turbos do produce more heat compared to NA, but that can be countered proper cooling to support such mods (if it's BOT).

bLACKjAC

Known Member
Aug 11, 2007
I did service the fans, replace aftermarket thermostat, and use pure water coolant, and problem solved

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if u have enought budget then go for vented hoods,
if not go to hardware store get 2 x 2" screws (bring your old hood screw as sample) & 2 nuts.
thats all, costs less than 5bucks.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
I have both Turbo Variant and Non Turbo Variant of the same Lancer model (Yeah.. am nuts)

Yes, I do realized the EVO is so much hotter than the standard Lancer.

However, like Halycon mentioned, Turbo usually kicks in at higher RPM, so if you are caught in a jam in the beginning of your journey.. the engine bay will not be super hot yet, comparing you to Boost boost your way into the Jam.

And... Most cars will have thermostat factory installed, so if you are in a jam and the engine bay gets hot, the fan will be activated and blowing at top speed (even if you turn off your engine before it cools down)

Also don't forget, the turbine is harnessing all the exhaust along with it's heat and with no factory heatshield on them, it will be radiating the heat into the engine bay... For cars with stock turbo, usually there are vents or dedicated air flows designed to channel the air away or to cool it down (especially Evos)... If it is a aftermarket turbos, a custom vent have to be made.

Lastly, for Turbocharged cars, always monitor all the cooling components... Engine Oil must be changed when it's time to help protection and lower down friction/heat, Coolant, flush them if shows any signs of rust and give your engine a good engine wash if its filled with dirt or oil smudges... It does help...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I have both Turbo Variant and Non Turbo Variant of the same Lancer model (Yeah.. am nuts)

Yes, I do realized the EVO is so much hotter than the standard Lancer.

However, like Halycon mentioned, Turbo usually kicks in at higher RPM, so if you are caught in a jam in the beginning of your journey.. the engine bay will not be super hot yet, comparing you to Boost boost your way into the Jam.

And... Most cars will have thermostat factory installed, so if you are in a jam and the engine bay gets hot, the fan will be activated and blowing at top speed (even if you turn off your engine before it cools down)

Also don't forget, the turbine is harnessing all the exhaust along with it's heat and with no factory heatshield on them, it will be radiating the heat into the engine bay... For cars with stock turbo, usually there are vents or dedicated air flows designed to channel the air away or to cool it down (especially Evos)... If it is a aftermarket turbos, a custom vent have to be made.

Lastly, for Turbocharged cars, always monitor all the cooling components... Engine Oil must be changed when it's time to help protection and lower down friction/heat, Coolant, flush them if shows any signs of rust and give your engine a good engine wash if its filled with dirt or oil smudges... It does help...
You are owning CZ4A Evolution X and Lancer GT?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can anyone teach me how to spray the engine cam cover?

need to remove it from engine before spray?

need to peel off the original coating before spraying? <_<

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience