4AGE 20v BT semput and died

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Hi there,

Encountered this problem four times so far these 2 weeks. Basically car just died randomly while driving. It may or may not be preceded with a little "semput" effect for 1-2 seconds. In one instance, the car died while I was driving at 60kmh and I restarted it successfully by doing a rolling start. In other instances, it died mostly at slow speed so I had to pull over and tried to start normally. When I attempted this, most of the time the engine started for about 0.5-2 second and then it gave the "semput" effect for 1-2 seconds where the rpm dips before it finally died. At one point, the engine even managed to hold the "semput" running at 200rpm for about 5 seconds before it died. And sometimes, it only cranks but didn't start.

All dash lights still light up as usual when the key is at ON.

And then suddenly like magic, it can restart as normal. No CEL or anything. :confused:

So far the longest I got stucked at the roadside was 45 minutes at Kota Kemuning. The tow truck fella came but the car just ran normally like nothing happened. And I drove it home without any drama.

A sidenote that may be helpful in diagnosis. This is my observation for the past 1 year or so. I noticed a couple of times (not everytime) when the engine has started, the oil light (not low fuel light) lights up for 1-2 seconds. The normal behavior I assumed is as soon as the engine starts, the CEL and oil light should be out immediately.

I guess the next thing I'll do is try to look for error codes. I'll keep you guys posted.

Any inputs are truly appreciated.

Last edited:

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Fuel pump/wiring associated to fuel pump kong?

I had this problem once, after parking car for a few hours at Melaka, can crank but can't start, dashboard light and all lit up, engine light didnt blink or anything. Called sifu Wong (levin818), advised to check the black engine wiring box in the engine bay, take out one of the (what's that called?), check that it's "lengzai lengzai", inserted it back in and wallaa, car could be started. Was told that the (what's it called) is for the fuel pump and may have been loosely connected.

Anyway maybe sifu levin818 can advise you on this.

Bro mh wong, you know Foo as well? That guy's Genting skills are unbelievable la. And when you speak to him it's very apparent that he's knowledgeable and knows his stuff.

Last edited:

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Suggest you send your car to 20V wiring master cuscostrutbrace for full diagnostic...

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

PM me if you want his number. I can't post it here w/o his permission. His miracle hand cure most 20V wiring penyakit. His location is Old Klg Road and Shah Alam.

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Thank you guys. Didn't find any error codes. I'll do a couple more simple checks before sending to the pros.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Fuel pump/wiring associated to fuel pump kong?

I had this problem once, after parking car for a few hours at Melaka, can crank but can't start, dashboard light and all lit up, engine light didnt blink or anything. Called sifu Wong (levin818), advised to check the black engine wiring box in the engine bay, take out one of the (what's that called?), check that it's "lengzai lengzai", inserted it back in and wallaa, car could be started. Was told that the (what's it called) is for the fuel pump and may have been loosely connected.

Anyway maybe sifu levin818 can advise you on this.

Bro mh wong, you know Foo as well? That guy's Genting skills are unbelievable la. And when you speak to him it's very apparent that he's knowledgeable and knows his stuff. His car:
Bro, are u referring to the fuse/relay box? By "lengzai lengzai" I assumed u meant one of the relays are loose? A new vocab for me :biggrin:

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Haha sorry for the vague description. Yup, it's the fuse/relay box, those little thingys inside can be removed one by one and upon closer inspection, you can see if they're "lengzai lengzai" or burnt or something. :biggrin:

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Updates after 2 weeks.

So far the car hasn't stalled since the day I did a little checking under the hood on June 9th. What did I do? Well, not much but let me just list them out in here, although I'm sure some of them might not even be related to this issue.

Firstly on June 6th, I checked for error codes but found none. Then I tried to start once and was successful.

Between June 6th and 9th, I didn't drive the car.

Then on June 9th.
  1. Checked the usual oil levels.
  2. Checked battery voltage when engine was off and when running. It was not at 100% performance. On engine off it's reading about 11.7 volt. Went to charge the battery for RM5. After charged, still not 12.++ volt. The guy said this battery was almost out already. I've been using it for 25 months (not a maintenance-free battery). I'm still using it now, but I'm ready to replace it anytime when it finally gives up no biggie.
  3. Checked spark plugs condition. From what I saw, plugs were fine except in the first cylinder it was slightly loose. Not loose as in wiggly and you can unscrew out effortlessly, but it's not as tight as it should be.
  4. Checked grounding cables. The cable leading out to the right side headlight worn out already, so I just replaced it.

As soon as I got the battery back, drove around for like 30 minutes. Slow, fast, low rpm, high rpm up till 160km/h felt ok.

Basically, that's about it. I've been driving the car nearly on a daily basis so far no drama.

Will keep on updating.

Last edited:

yeeza

Known Member
Jul 4, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Suggest you send your car to 20V wiring master cuscostrutbrace for full diagnostic...

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

PM me if you want his number. I can't post it here w/o his permission. His miracle hand cure most 20V wiring penyakit. His location is Old Klg Road and Shah Alam.
bro levin818 i need wiring master cuscostrutbrace contact ....

yeeza

Known Member
Jul 4, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
any other wiring master cum mechanic to intro ?? cuscostrut wont be in kl for a while ...mr foo cant help solve my problem...

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
sen ching, tmn pertama cheras, 016-6986600, 013-609 6222

ah nga, bandar tek, kajang. 019217 4320, 012704 8869

last time my st also face same problem, sen ching settle it....

Last edited:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dear ragerunner,
foo said better dun upload his car photo over the net.....eventhough without showing te registration plate#.....he dun want to be famous like top oil,.......haha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi there ,

does anyone knw where can i get the replacement of the remote control ( Transmitter ) for viper 560xv alarm ? how much it costs? it can be repaired??currently i'm using the spare one ... please help ..thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience