Best thing in life that no money can buy...parent's love and guidance

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Damn aircon here frecking dusty...

In cyberspace, a daughter remembers ‘mother, hero’

April 22, 2013

People trek on a hiking trail at Bukit Gasing, in Petaling Jaya February 22, 2011.—File pic KUALA LUMPUR, April 22 — On Saturday, Ong Ai Sam, 52, fended off two robbers in a desperate bid to buy her daughter time to escape. She succeeded, but paid for it with her life.

This is the message her daughter wishes she could hear.

My mother, my hero

I remember. I remember everything.

A few months ago in English class, my teacher asked us to write about the person who we admire. I wrote about my mum. A month ago for my English March Test paper, the topic I wrote about was “My Hero”. I wrote about my mum. During my test, I had writer’s block so I simply wrote out everything i knew about my mum: her childhood, achievements, etc. My mum is my hero. She always has been, she always will be.

20th April 2013.

Mama left early in the morning for some event her Kiwanis Club’s K-Kids had planned. She came back home with lunch for me and Milo ais. I remember grumbling to her because I didn’t want to follow my parents jungle trekking. I did anyway. We had to set up a trail for my father’s running group so mama was carrying a bag with just plain paper in it. I remember grumbling to my mum as we went up and down the hills of Gasing. She told me we’d be out soon. After two hours of trekking in the jungle, we finally hit the road. It was the road in Gasing leading up to the temple. We decided to walk back down to the car.

As we walked down the steep road, there was nobody there. No people, no cars. Just the two of us. As we nearly reached the first house, we heard a motorbike sound from behind. We turned around and saw two men on a motorbike. Mama said walk further in onto the pavement so we did. As the motorbike drove past us, they stopped. The man from behind jumped off. My mum pushed me to the back and told me to go. The man attacked my mum straight away, without saying any words. The knife he used was just a normal kitchen knife, the blade was about 10cm long. As my mum tried to protect herself, she turned to her left, only to be stabbed twice on the back of her right shoulder. She was struggling to escape. The attacker then proceeded to stab the back of her left shoulder. Mama tried so hard to escape. She fell on the ground and the attacker pulled her on the road and stabbed her thigh. I tried to help but the attacker thrust the knife my way so I ran back further. I couldn’t do anything but scream at the top of my lungs. I screamed and screamed. The attacker hopped on the bike and rode off.

I remember.

I remember watching my mum’s body lying on the road, all the blood oozing out. The attacker did not manage to get any of my mum’s belongings. She told me to call my dad. I ran down the hill looking for help. The first house I went to, the maid (who saw everything that happened) ran in and did not even try to help me. I ran further down and saw a car. They saw me and stopped. And I told them what happened. The driver, Mr Lai, told me to get in and we drive up to my mum. Mr Lai called the ambulance and the police while I tried to keep my mum conscious. There was blood everywhere. My mum just kept saying “save me”. Her voice was so week. My dad reached the site 10 minutes later, after running all the way. Mama kept telling us that she couldn’t breathe. I prayed and prayed. She was slowly losing herself. We tried our best to keep her awake and conscious. The police arrived. We put her in the police car since the ambulance hadn’t arrived. As we reached down the road, the ambulance was there so they transferred mum into the ambulance.

I remember.

I remember sitting in the ambulance, holding my mum’s hand and trying to talk to her but she didn’t respond. I remember crying. The paramedics were doing all they could do at that point. I remember calling Eu Lim, who was at church to pray for my mum. We reached the hospital in three minutes. They rushed my mum to the emergency was. I wasn’t allowed to enter and I was so, so scared. My dad had followed Mr Lai’s car and they hadn’t reached yet. I had to settle my mum’s registration and then I had to talk to the police. My dad arrived. Then my friends arrived. I sat at the doorway of the hospital, praying and praying. 10 minutes later, my dad came out and told me my mum didn’t make it. I dropped in the middle of the hospital floor, screaming. Everyone was looking at me, but I didn’t care. A bunch of doctors came out to get me; they took me to a special room. They questioned me and they told me about how my mum was already gone when we were in the ambulance. They tried their best to revive her.

I remember.

I remember coming home. My friends just sat in silence. I just sat in silence. I was covered in blood, mama’s blood. I had to get myself together. I had to bathe. We broke the news to my sister through Face Time and that was really hard to do. Slowly, people started coming. It was hard seeing my aunts and uncles cry, my parent’s close friends, my close friends and to know I had to keep it all together. It was really hard, telling my story to everyone. It’s really hard to even close my eyes for awhile because i see it replaying in my head over and over again. Watching my mum lying in her pool of blood and not being able to do anything. Not being able to save her.

People come, then people leave. All I hear is “I’m so sorry for your loss” or “my condolences”. All I hear is people questioning me about what happened, since I was the sole witness. But I am so tired of telling this story over and over again. I am so tired of hearing other people tell this story. This is my story. This is the truth. Newspapers and reporters may twist it around and exaggerate to the whole world, but this story will remain the truth forever.

I am truly grateful and appreciative to everyone who came, whether it was for a short period, or a long time. Thank you to those who’ve brought a little bit more of hope and joy to me, even though you guys didn’t try. Thank you to those who’ve brought food and drinks, and flowers. Thank you to everyone who called, texted, Whatsapped, Facebook-ed and tweeted me. I don’t know how i became a trending topic overnight (#prayforhuiwei). I was mad at first, but then I realised how much my family had all of your love and support. Whether i know you or not, whether you knew my mum or not, all your kind words really helped. My mother was such an amazing and beautiful person.

I remember.

My mum’s last words to me were “I love you so much” dying there, on the road. I watched it all. I watched it all slip out of my hands. Now my life feels so empty. I keep thinking to myself that this is all a dream. Maybe I’d wake up and be able to avoid this from happening. Maybe if someone pinched me I’d wake up from this nightmare. But this is reality, and I have to face the facts. I have to face the fact that I’m alone now. I have to face the sounds of crying and wailing from the other room. I have to face the facts that I’m going to grow up motherless, clueless and confused. It won’t be easy, but I will get through this.

Ma,

I love you so much. And I am so sorry I had to watch you die. I am so sorry I couldn’t save you. But you’re with God now. Ma you’re such a great person. Beautiful inside and out. And I thank you for teaching me your ways. Thank you for always teaching (scolding) me to be a better person. Even though we’ve had our moments, and times we didn’t see eye to eye, you’ll always be my best friend. Who’s going to pick me up from school now? Who am I going to say “HEY MA” to and tell them about my day? Who’s going to cuddle up with me on the couch and be lazy for awhile?

Ma,

Remember how you used to come into my room while I was studying, and hug me then tickle me. Remember how you used to sing me to sleep when I was young. Or how you used sing when you’re happy. You had a beautiful voice. Remember how we sat on the couch, looking for coloured beads to do arts and crafts. Remember every single day we spent together.

Ma,

I just saw your body, lying in the coffin. You look so beautiful, peaceful, just like you’re sleeping. And I have the biggest urge to scream “wake up”. Thank you, Ma. For giving me life, for giving me love. You taught me everything good in my life. You were always selfless, God-fearing. You were my strong pillar of hope and love. And even though you’re no longer here with us, you’re with God. And you’re happy, just like how you appeared in Lissa’s dream. And I do hope justice will be served. They’re working on finding the criminals, ma. They will be caught.

We all miss you, ma, we miss you so much. Goh Ee and Sar Ee has already appointed themselves as my “mama” and I see you so much of you in them. And it’s not going to be the same anymore. Nothing will be the same anymore. You’re not going to watch me graduate, you’re not going to watch me get married. You’re not going to be there to take care of my children. But I know you are with us in spirit, and you’re always watching over us. Please give me the strength and courage to move forward with my life. Please give me the motivation to be better. To be more like you. To spread the love and joy. Papa, Tache and I will always be grateful for you are the biggest blessing God has given. And maybe you’ve done too much good so The Lord called you home. And you are safe now, safe with God. He will watch over you (and us) and protect you. You are safe from all the evil now.

I will make you proud, mama. I will make everyone proud. I love you so much. I’ll love you every single day of my life, and I’ll never forget whatever you’ve done for me. Thank you so much. Rest in peace, mama, I love you.

* This is a post written by Hui Wei on the blog, “the ugly truth”.

Main - Malaysia - In cyberspace, a daughter remembers ?mother, hero? @ Mon Apr 22 2013

...then i read news like this and my blood boils...

PETALING JAYA: Crime rate is down but Malaysians still do not feel so, hence the focus will be on improving public confidence on safety, says the Government Transforma*tion Programme (GTP) report.

It stated that the country’s crime index had decreased by 26.8% since the first phase of the GTP began in 2009.

Malaysia has been ranked the safest and most peaceful country in South East-Asia according to the Global Peace Index, said the GTP report.

It also recorded around 550.1 criminal incidents per 100,000 population, placing Malaysia lower than Singapore, Hong Kong, Britain and the United States.

However, it added that “public feeling of security remained low”, based on surveys.

The Reducing Crime National Key Results Area (NKRA) team surmised that this could be because positive action and initiatives under the first GTP had “little visibility compared to highly-publicised instances of crime itself”.

It cited the spate of snatch theft and assault cases in public parking lots, which were highlighted.

“Thus, there is a need to better engage the public and raise awareness about the NKRA, as well as to equip the rakyat to minimise the risk of becoming victims,” the report said.

It said that the second phase of the GTP would see the continuation of several initiatives like the “omnipresence programme”, which successfully reduced the overall street crime and index crime by 41.3% and 7.6% respectively in 2012.

The programme would see increased police personnel on patrol in areas like schools, shopping centres, markets and transport terminals to create a better perception of safety.

The United Against Crime public engagement campaign under the first GTP would be expanded to include dialogues with key groups like women and residents’ associations on how to protect themselves.

The report said that safety perception surveys, crime awareness days and women’s awareness programmes would be organised to increase the safety perception index.

There would also be more volunteer community policing initiatives with police support to get the public involved in crime fighting.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
This is just damm sad whey. Just imagine that girl's feelings, knowing that her mother sacrificed herself to protect her. This is one of those emotional scars that won't fade away, at least not so easily. This memory will haunt her for the rest of her life just because some retarded robbers decide to stab people like nobodies business. Yeap, Malaysia is safe.
Yes, is true. Is looks like those in the movies but this is reality. It really did happened somehow.
Those cold-blooded scumbags!

That's a 2-edged sword. Imagine if they found the parangs?
Yup, have to keep it in the room or somewhere really hidden

Buy a powerful paint ball gun as a weapon. Don't underestimate it..could cause severe damage at close range and even death of shot in the face or eyes lol
Agree, within far range hitting right to my thigh, i had blue blacks on my thigh and only fade away
after 2 weeks.

:idea:

trying to look for it but where to buy ah?

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

gotta hide it & hopefully i get to it 1st before they do. normally thieves when they break into a hse, they will go to the kitchen to get a knife 1st.
Got a friend selling if you want. my ex-schoolmate working for one company selling paintball guns.
Is a good idea since is legal

Brother, thieves come in and look for knifes? they will bring their own leh!
Moreover if they break in should be wee hours most of the time, so keep the parang in your room.
I went for fire seminar, they ask also where to keep the fire extinguisher? I say Kitchen, so they answer No, Even though kitchen most of the time easier to start fire, and if fire extinguisher is there how are you going to use it? Moreover if at night got fire any where in the house if extinguisher in your room you can get to it the fastest, like wise the parang.....:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

That route up the temple where she was killed, is very quiet one. I have used many times for my walk, even though most of the time I go into the forest area. That is why nowadays I use walking stick (old already mah!) but good against dogs and likewise if got robbers.....:biggrin:
Walking they wont rob u gua, unless u wearing an underwear sew with swaroski/diamonds. :rofl:

Lots of foreigners here because they are our labourers. Unless local Malaysians want to work as labourers, these foreign helpers are essential to our economy, so it isn't as easy as sending them all back home.

It is the same as foreign students. Malaysia wants to be an educational hub but unfortunately, the takers are, erhm, gangster students. I've seen these students driving brand new Mercs!

Believe it or not, I bought the Bear Pepper Spray and keep it at home. It comes in a large tin and can shoot 35 feet!

Unfortunately, very expensive and too big to put in handbag. :biggrin:
Yup, is true, cheaper labour and work that they do are not something Malaysians would do. A job
where the pay is just way too low to live in Malaysia while for them after converting the currency
is quite a lot to them.

Where do u put that bear spray? :stoned: Looks heavy and looks lethal. If a bear cant
stand that spray, I think humans are gonna suffer more :rofl:

Get a small pepperspray and put in ur handbag. But then a car key can be real lethal
as well...

Arturo:

Crime rate lower than Singapore? Lower my ass, wanna compare how many cases reported in the Star about Malaysia with Singapore newspaper? This is totally trying to deceive us in believing
crime rate is low...

How to feel safe when someone just got killed

Last edited:

SueLee

Apr 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Oh, I didn't know one can "Like" posts here...like Facebook!

Because that is for bears.....:biggrin:
You can buy those smaller ones for handbags from some pharmacies....
Already got the small "lipstick" size too.

The crime rate here is worrying. Recently, a male friend of mine got robbed near a large shopping mall here. He was walking to his car, talking on his handphone, when two men (wearing helmets and ski masks!) on a bike approached him, demanding for phone and money.

My friend put up a fight. He's quite big sized like a UFC fighter, but he got punched fully in the face during the fight. My friend did wallop those two robbers nicely. They rode off, nothing stolen but my friend got a nice blue black eye. He was on MC for a week.

In another story, my friend's handbag was stolen right off beside her in the car. Aware of this smash and grab, she put her handbag on the floor (not on seat) but it was still stolen when a bike came over during a traffic light stop.

She now puts her handbag in the trunk. She only brings in her purse with her in the car cabin.

Shudder....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Oh, I didn't know one can "Like" posts here...like Facebook!

Already got the small "lipstick" size too.

The crime rate here is worrying. Recently, a male friend of mine got robbed near a large shopping mall here. He was walking to his car, talking on his handphone, when two men (wearing helmets and ski masks!) on a bike approached him, demanding for phone and money.

My friend put up a fight. He's quite big sized like a UFC fighter, but he got punched fully in the face during the fight. My friend did wallop those two robbers nicely. They rode off, nothing stolen but my friend got a nice blue black eye. He was on MC for a week.

In another story, my friend's handbag was stolen right off beside her in the car. Aware of this smash and grab, she put her handbag on the floor (not on seat) but it was still stolen when a bike came over during a traffic light stop.

She now puts her handbag in the trunk. She only brings in her purse with her in the car cabin.

Shudder....
What I can say is that, whenever we are walking to our cars, try not to talk when you walk.
Because you won't be 100% alert of your surroundings.

2ndly, you can hold on to your car keys where the sharp point is in between your fingers.
Gripping it as if you have Claws like Wolverine. Guarantee is deadly and can either slash
or strive it up to the criminals. Slash vital points like neck and eyes.

Putting up a fight is not a wise choice as well, you won't know how unlucky you can be
even if you're a good fighter unless your life is at stake and no where to run.

Best weapon is to run.

Only one Bruce Lee in the world and no other.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Ah! but the robbers killed that woman who was walking also. Her stuffs in plastic bag she was carrying....:banghead:
Maybe what she carries was obvious. U carry a stick only ma..unless is gold plated walking stick haha

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What I can say is that, whenever we are walking to our cars, try not to talk when you walk.

2ndly, you can hold on to your car keys where the sharp point is in between your fingers.
Gripping it as if you have Claws like Wolverine. Guarantee is deadly and can either slash

Putting up a fight is not a wise choice as well, you won't know how unlucky you can be

Best weapon is to run.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Maybe what she carries was obvious. U carry a stick only ma..unless is gold plated walking stick haha
Yup, best is to run.

I walk in short pants with pockets. Many leave in their car and there were quite a few break and grab there also....:banghead:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

Best weapon is to run.

if my car is keyless entry how? hehe :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I got shot once in the head by paintball before and it was at far range. Man that really hurts. I can feel the intensity its like a needle stabbing my head. And that's only from the normal pneumatic gun with small bullets.

Let us hope for a change. A fairer and more efficient government to improve malaysia. Force the police to be efficient and not biased to anyone. Improve the economy of malaysia so that less people are starving and rob here and there. Strengthen the custom and polices so that drugs are make hardly available. Install more CCTV with PEOPLE WATCHING (frankly speaking, i really dont know if there's people monitoring the cctv installed in the streets)

Let us pray that the victim daughter can get through this well and find blessings from her late mother. And let us pray that the murderer is caught and punished, and that he doesnt harm anyone after that (if he still lives).

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
There was once a CCTV of a house took footage of a robbery. CCTV was in the front of the house, but what can they do. Robbers were bikers with helmet cannot recognize then also.....:mad:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I got shot once in the head by paintball before and it was at far range. Man that really hurts. I can feel the intensity its like a needle stabbing my head. And that's only from the normal pneumatic gun with small bullets.

Let us hope for a change. A fairer and more efficient government to improve malaysia. Force the police to be efficient and not biased to anyone. Improve the economy of malaysia so that less people are starving and rob here and there. Strengthen the custom and polices so that drugs are make hardly available. Install more CCTV with PEOPLE WATCHING (frankly speaking, i really dont know if there's people monitoring the cctv installed in the streets)

Let us pray that the victim daughter can get through this well and find blessings from her late mother. And let us pray that the murderer is caught and punished, and that he doesnt harm anyone after that (if he still lives).
There was once a CCTV of a house took footage of a robbery. CCTV was in the front of the house, but what can they do. Robbers were bikers with helmet cannot recognize then also.....:mad:
Can consider getting a powerful good paintball gun but is not cheap, even the pellets itself. but if for protection I think is okay. Is like buying a gun keeping at home.

Yup they are smart nowadays, wear helmets during robbery. Full face.
To me this Gasing case is obviously a murder case. Got down without saying anything and
stab her. Daughter tried to stop him, he threaten to stab her. So she back off and ran
to get help.

Looks like murder with intention. Could be business rivalry or offended some people....
that area is usually quiet, I went up there before to service customer. Real quiet.

SueLee

Apr 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Yes, there should be more CCTVs around, especially in high crime areas. There should also be railings along roads to prevent snatch theft. Some of my friends live within walking distance to work, and yet they still drive to work. Not because they are lazy to walk but because they are scared to be robbed or worse along the way.

I think these robbers are getting smarter too. Wearing helmets, ski mask and perhaps even sunglasses make it very difficult to defend ourselves. Pepper spray works if the mist gets into their eyes, but if they cover their face and eyes, it makes it difficult for us to spray effectively.

Believe it or not, I once almost bought a Taser Gun:

until I learned it is so illegal to carry one here in Malaysia. If I used it to defend myself, for example, would I get into trouble? :confused:

Guys, what do you carry or arm yourself with to defend yourself against trouble? And your wives or partners, what do they do? For me, I only have a pepper spray but I do wonder if I have the time or the calmness to whip it out in case of trouble.

Parking spots for lady drivers at some shopping malls are a good idea though.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What do I do to prepare myself in unfortunate situation? Simple. Get prepared. I usually would read articles or news or advices from experts what to do when facing robbers, fire, earthquake(msia might have it one day, possible), flood, etc.

Like many experts say, it is important to prepare your mind for the worst so that we know what and how to act although it might be slower than trained people. The second thing is learn a few self defense moves or even learn how to runaway. Get prepared !

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Can consider getting a powerful good paintball gun but is not cheap, even the pellets itself. but if for protection I think is okay. Is like buying a gun keeping at home.

Yup they are smart nowadays, wear helmets during robbery. Full face.
To me this Gasing case is obviously a murder case. Got down without saying anything and
stab her. Daughter tried to stop him, he threaten to stab her. So she back off and ran
to get help.

Looks like murder with intention. Could be business rivalry or offended some people....
that area is usually quiet, I went up there before to service customer. Real quiet.
my car broke down there before, summore next to haunted house.....very quiet & lotsa mosquitos.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all. My wife's car (MyVi 1.3) was drowned in the flash flood last week. The water level was up to the coin drawer(I don't really know what it was called). The car was parked when it was sank. After the flood I've tried to start the engine but failed. Does any of otai here have any idea what's the problem since the Perodua Service Centre quoted me RM16k to repair the car(I rather go to other workshop than paying that RM16k). Any recommend for trustworthy & good workmanship workshop(with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience