DIY Interior Lights Tapping Dome Light

hAz

Known Member
Feb 17, 2007
Oh ur's less hassle. But i like the fact that the lights are on when the door is opened. :biggrin: :congrats:
yah, id like to have that too..:adore:
will find time to mod mine later..hahah.. maybe will post photo if i mod mine.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
or u can tap it to your ICE head unit like i did mine. but to insure the fuse in fuse box for the HU doesnt burnt out u might need to change 2 slightly hire amp. here how it works:-

1) make sure u take out both batt terminal
2) find ur HU yellow (batt supply), blue (remote/ ignition) & black (ground) wire (usually)
3) tap +ve led to blue & -ve to black
4) in this case the led will only on when you start your car & always on

hAz

Known Member
Feb 17, 2007
yea bro stupidcar, pictures would help a lot..
especially on the wires u tap to

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think i can explain it clearly because all of it are in my brain. And i am bad at explaining. Btw, i am lazy to take the pillars apart again just to show u guys the pic, haha, and I am out of free time. Hope this post helped u later on.

Okay, 1st, open the dome light using a flat screwdriver(test pen) or whatever that is that fits the hole.

Then grab any wire u can find around your house. I used my broken laptop charger wires. Best to follow the colour of the wire and follow which wire is suppose to which(live, earth, neutral is not needed.)

Open both split ends. Just use scissors and paper knife. If you haven't tried this before, cut it slowly then u will learn slowly. U can see u did a good job because none of the copper wires were cut out. Cut it longer to have more space to do your work later.

Now you need to test out which part of the bulb is -ve and +ve. So, pandai pandai lah, okay? Not being lanci here but some of the things u need to learn by urself in order to learn/adapt quicker next time. Mostly is common sense. :biggrin:

Now, hook your wires with ur bulb. I used a 5SMD LED bright white. I myself hate blue, red, or any other colours than white and warm white. In my world, the colours mean lala(typical chinese style, aka ah beng).

You hooked it already right? Please hook it accordingly to avoid burning any fuses, i burnt my memory fuse.

SWITCH TO OFF POSITION

Take out the ori bulb by pushing either one of the metal part. Now u can on it again because we need to test out which part of your bulb holder is neg and pos. Test it using the wires that are hooked on to ur bulb. Only 2 tries are needed. *Common sense* :proud:

When u found out the position, switch it off, hook the cut split ends in to the hole of the bulb holder.

Thats basically it. How you hide your wires and bulbs are all up to u. I drove the wire in the roof 'carpet'(as u can see from my pic), thru side pillar, in the door rubber, then under the dash.

Happy DIY! post your pic of your final result. :cool:

Attachments

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
or u can tap it to your ICE head unit like i did mine. but to insure the fuse in fuse box for the HU doesnt burnt out u might need to change 2 slightly hire amp. here how it works:-

1) make sure u take out both batt terminal
2) find ur HU yellow (batt supply), blue (remote/ ignition) & black (ground) wire (usually)
3) tap +ve led to blue & -ve to black
4) in this case the led will only on when you start your car & always on
As i said, thats all up to the individual. I like it when it's on when my doors open. And also u can on it simply by switching on the dome light too. So ur leg room LEDs, and also the dome light are on all together. With the lights always on, u might attract police, and might need to fork out duit kopi if u can fight back.

But i have to say your's are riskier than mine. Mine is the 'abit more complicated plug and play only' version.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
As i said, thats all up to the individual. I like it when it's on when my doors open. And also u can on it simply by switching on the dome light too. So ur leg room LEDs, and also the dome light are on all together. With the lights always on, u might attract police, and might need to fork out duit kopi if u can fight back.

But i have to say your's are riskier than mine. Mine is the 'abit more complicated plug and play only' version.
really aarr, can get summon aarrr, in that case ill change the +ve to batt wire for HU & -ve to the door lorr, easier to do lehh rather to the dome for my 660 that is. i also did extra 1 for backseat & trunk for my kelisa to, easier coz tap to the trunk switch & not much to open up, later maybe i'll snap a picture of it:biggrin:

idnawse

Known Member
Aug 18, 2005
perak
simplest way

- If wanna on the leg lamp when engine running/while driving - just tap +ve @ACC wire on key socket harness, and for -ve jus tap any nearest metal part of the body (ground), done.

- if wanna on when door open..juz open the pillar cover (driver side), got 2 wires (normally)..both are +ve .. one is constant +ve 12v, another one is on when door open. Find the wire using test lamp (try open and close the door) and tap there for +ve and any part of body for -ve ground .. so ur leg lamp will on when u open the door only

- if wanna use the leg lamp independently... follow the 1st step then add switch..u can on off anytime.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
simplest way

- If wanna on the leg lamp when engine running/while driving - just tap +ve @ACC wire on key socket harness, and for -ve jus tap any nearest metal part of the body (ground), done.

- if wanna on when door open..juz open the pillar cover (driver side), got 2 wires (normally)..both are +ve .. one is constant +ve 12v, another one is on when door open. Find the wire using test lamp (try open and close the door) and tap there for +ve and any part of body for -ve ground .. so ur leg lamp will on when u open the door only

- if wanna use the leg lamp independently... follow the 1st step then add switch..u can on off anytime.
why go thru all the hassle with cutting the wires. I just hooked on the bulb holder, easy. No need to damage the wires since im not completely sure that i know how do. Cheers.

idnawse

Known Member
Aug 18, 2005
perak
since its about wiring and electric matter... for me better do it properly.. tap then cover by black tape or use shrink tube.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

When looking at oversea selling Motul 800 road racing 2T for +-US$17 and we are getting it at +-RM133 per bottle, I think it is too much. So, I'm wondering if volume can bring down the price a bit. Mix product purchasing also can, like x bottle of different engine oil + x bottle of different 2T.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience