Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
I need to sent my car to repaint soon
and plan to have coating as well after repaint it

it just some question only the clear coating
as I plan to coat it as well after painting

doesn't care it opti coat, sierra glow permanon coat etc

I need to know.. it this scenario
should I get good coating ? or moderate coating or normal coating?

since the pricing also around RM1k gap different from normal to good clear coat

bare in mind I have plan to coating it externally as well
I have a budget around 4500

a simple calclulation in mind

normal coat + opti coat = 4500

moderate coat + sierra glow = 4500

I skip good coat since it quite expensive
unless someone can suggest good coat + a coating service which is around 4500 range which can last me min 5 year

any suggestion and feedback

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
I need to sent my car to repaint soon
and plan to have coating as well after repaint it

it just some question only the clear coating
as I plan to coat it as well after painting

doesn't care it opti coat, sierra glow permanon coat etc

I need to know.. it this scenario
should I get good coating ? or moderate coating or normal coating?

since the pricing also around RM1k gap different from normal to good clear coat

bare in mind I have plan to coating it externally as well
I have a budget around 4500

a simple calclulation in mind

normal coat + opti coat = 4500

moderate coat + sierra glow = 4500

I skip good coat since it quite expensive
unless someone can suggest good coat + a coating service which is around 4500 range which can last me min 5 year

any suggestion and feedback
i would suggest you spent the $$ by giving to the painter to use better clear coat and premier like Dupont when spraying your car.

All this 'coating' you see in market are 'add-on' for paintwork only...no matter how expensive/good it is still can't 'beat' clear coat from the paint itself.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Yup. A better investment would be going for a *very* good quality clear coat (like DuPont hish solid). Like g88 said, the 'other' coating is just 'value-added'. You can use normal wax/sealant until you can find the chance ($$$) to spend on a good quality coating later.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
The foundation of the paint needs to be good for the coating to amplify the "goodness" its just like building a house on rock and on sand, if you build the house on sand, sooner or later it will sink and your house will have cracks all over the wall, unlike building your house on rock, it will stand still and firm. same theory goes to clear coat, if you use a low quality or normal clear coat, you might not be over impressed with the results and even if you do a good protective coating, it will only protect but not bring out the extra bits of gloss and shine, if you use a good clear coat and top up with a good coating, everything will be better, like the saying "nothing good comes cheap, nothing cheap comes good"

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
noted..

look like better spend on good clear coat and skip the external coat option later on if have extra budget

issb

Oct 24, 2010
Selangor
if you have budget, spray the scratch resistant clear coat. Check with the PPG and Glasurit painters

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
if all can done between 4500 I am ok
maybe need to ask painter the cost if looking for scratch resistant coat
I think I will choose glasurit since painter using glasurit also

reza808

Sep 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hey bro....try search CCAutoSpa on fb and u might be keen with their products. Got to know the place from a friend and services / pricing and everything in between is all brilliant (Sent all my cars there for restoration and others since then) Cheers.

jonlsl

Jun 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Always go for high solid clear coat. If you can get PPG's ceramic clear is even better. But if possible ask the painter to do more layers to build up a thicker coat which will offer you better protection and also give you more clear coat to either wet sand the car or level the orange peel or at least less worries about wearing the clear coat away from doing corrections i.e. polishing, to the paint if you intend to keep the car for many years. Not to mention a thick clear coat which is "leveled" properly a.k.a wet sanded to remove orange peel, will look better than any wax. coating or sealant can ever provide.

Checkout some of the pictures of my wet sanded newly painted civic (well not new now lah). If you right click and view image( or view in new tab for chrome then zoom in) and enlarge the picture you can actually see how sharp the text reflection off the paint is.

Drayfx Fixes For The Masses: Auto Detailing: Mirror Finish

Last edited:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Bear in mind 'thicker' is better not there is always a limit. Over limit will cause problem

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anyone here know what does it mean by close deck and open deck? how does it affect the performance?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience