How Often Do You Do Wheel Balancing & Wheel Alignment ?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Theres no guideline as to when we need to do our wheel balancing & alignment....

Some wont do until the next tyre change....

Some do it every 10,000km....

Some do it every month.....

So, we need to get the opinions of everyone as how often we need to do both balancing and alignment...

And the reasons behind it ?

Its an open discussion, so everyone kindly share your views.....:wavey::biggrin::tee:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Theres no guideline as to when we need to do our wheel balancing & alignment....

Some wont do until the next tyre change....

Some do it every 10,000km....

Some do it every month.....

So, we need to get the opinions of everyone as how often we need to do both balancing and alignment...

And the reasons behind it ?

Its an open discussion, so everyone kindly share your views.....:wavey::biggrin::tee:
Well, no fast rules about this.
Got $$$ can do whenever they want....ha! ha!
Some do at 10k km when they rotate their tyres, but not necessary.

For me, I do wheel balancing only when there is vibration.
As for alignment, I normally do when changing to new tyres, thereafter check the tyres for tyre wear. If all wearing nicely no need to do alignment.
Other tell tale sign is car pulling to one side and /or car steering not pointing in the middle when going straight then only check alignment

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Me rotate tyre every 10k km as bro vr2turbo mentioned. being lazy me, I ask my fave shop to do it and do alignment anyway since
  1. If alignment gone wrong, they will show me and correct it.. rm25 je pun heheh
  2. If not, they don't do it anyway

balancing only when got vibration....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Usually, when you feel there is vibrations on the steering then is time to do balancing, as for alignment wise, like the rest said,
usually when you notice your car are not going straight even when you point straight, some usually test by releasing their hands and
cruise on an even and straight road to test out. Easiest way if you know how, just check the tyre thread on wear and tear. All look
same then alignment is okay.

I kinda do it each time I service my car, just to make sure alignment and balancing are always right to increase its lifespan. :smile:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I also only do those only if necessary, don't fix what is not broken.
Balancing only if got steering vibration at certain speeds.
Wheel alignment if the steering is not straight anymore, or when have to replace/dismantle suspension parts that affects the alignment.

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
i usually do alignment only.
on wheel balancing/rotate will be like once a year.

maybe u guys shud try to mark your wheels if u ever need to take out the wheels.
this will make sure your previous balancing is not upset.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i usually do alignment only.
on wheel balancing/rotate will be like once a year.

maybe u guys shud try to mark your wheels if u ever need to take out the wheels.
this will make sure your previous balancing is not upset.
Marking is good if you have done on wheel balancing. If off wheel then should not have any problem.
Best is to fit the center cone if your rims and wheel hub have space in between.
Both my rides with aftermarket rims used to balance often, until I fitted the center cone, now no problems with balancing already...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Marking is good if you have done on wheel balancing. If off wheel then should not have any problem.
Best is to fit the center cone if your rims and wheel hub have space in between.
Both my rides with aftermarket rims used to balance often, until I fitted the center cone, now no problems with balancing already...
Is a type of ring that make sure the rims fits nicely right? I was asked to install it by the
foreman when I bought my rims, then lucky the boss came and said why need to install?
Stock Myvi SE Rims can fit just nice on kelisa. No need, then the foreman kept quiet.

I just guess the foreman just with a good intention trying to suggest the best la. Maybe
he didnt know. So, didnt fix in the end cuz the boss tried putting the tyres on, he say
can fit just nice, no need center cone.

More stable it seems. Alignment wont lari or something cant remember what he said.

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
ido my alignment wheel if the direction are going too much left or too much right..... :D

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
ido my alignment wheel if the direction are going too much left or too much right..... :D
Mine, nowadays no matter how much i ask them to adjust, it still goes to the left...:banghead:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
1 tip from my friendly tyre shop... if felt direction wee bit one-sided, just go and to petrol pump and pump your tyre even left to right.... if evenly pressured still go one-sided then go do alignment....

so far it's true to me

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
Mine, nowadays no matter how much i ask them to adjust, it still goes to the left...:banghead:
i also find my myvi and viva having this same issue.
until they do adjustment without using the machine.
when dat is done...the steering is straight and last longer.

not like...once out of the shop doin those machine alignment...the next day the steering will be to the left abit on a straight road. :banghead:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
i also find my myvi and viva having this same issue.
until they do adjustment without using the machine.
when dat is done...the steering is straight and last longer.

not like...once out of the shop doin those machine alignment...the next day the steering will be to the left abit on a straight road. :banghead:
Ya, they will use machine 1st, then after that test drive. After I test, still cannot, i drive back, they manually adjust by tightening something on the sides that it runs to.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Is a type of ring that make sure the rims fits nicely right? I was asked to install it by the
foreman when I bought my rims, then lucky the boss came and said why need to install?
Stock Myvi SE Rims can fit just nice on kelisa. No need, then the foreman kept quiet.

I just guess the foreman just with a good intention trying to suggest the best la. Maybe
he didnt know. So, didnt fix in the end cuz the boss tried putting the tyres on, he say
can fit just nice, no need center cone.

More stable it seems. Alignment wont lari or something cant remember what he said.
Yup, if original rims, may not require. Aftermarket rims have to fit most cars therefore the center hub is bigger, so if don't fit perfectly on to your wheel hub then need the center cone ring to fill it up.

He can remove the rims center emblem cap and then fit to your car wheel hub. From there you can see whether it fits perfectly onto the wheel hub or not?

This center cone is to fit your rims perfectly onto the wheel hub, therefore it is centralized. When turning it is perfectly running round. Even run 1mm, at high speed that multiples to a lot of vibration....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Rotate the front tyres, left to right and see what happens?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Ya, they will use machine 1st, then after that test drive. After I test, still cannot, i drive back, they manually adjust by tightening something on the sides that it runs to.
Well, alignment is to get your car to go straight, right? means the adjustment is on your steering arm, or tie rod end to be more exact. Have to even out, so that the steering is straight.
But then, each car model has it's own default reading and this have to be followed, unless the camber reading have gone out of specs, then the guy doing your alignment must know how to counter with alignment setting....:driver:

After alignment and testing, steering still not straight, what they do it add on one side and minus from the other side (adjusting the tie rod end) so that the steering will be straight, but then this requires expert to do, like how much to adjust, which side to add and/or minus and so on....:rolleyes:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know the contact number of any mudguard shops around PJ? I've seen a few shops beside the slope leading to Tropicana/BU11/BU12 but havent been to any of them yet. Anyone has good experience with any of the shops there? Care to post up the contact number? Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience