Water temp audible warning?

Suggestion on water temp meter w/ audible warning?

• JDM i.e DEFI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taiwan. Shadow, Autogauge, NRG etc

• Knockoffs from China

• Other brand? please mentioned in thread

• DIY? Can teach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
I wouldn't recommend NRG. u can't set the desired temp. for the warning tone to come on. And the needle movement is not that good
i guess nothing good comes cheap...at least without a lot of diy

anyway, this is also on my wish list for a water temp warning system. but it requires a hell lot of DIY such as a socket to mount the sensor n wiring for the warning system...

DC12V Mini Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller WH7016C LCD Display | eBay

but good thing is it is highly modifiable and has a built in realtime digital display and is also cheap. this item is mentioned in autospeed n it seems those blokes like it a lot.

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
Yes i agree with u. As for me i can only afford shadow for a brand new gauge.
Anyway...there's not much difference in term pricing for the nrg and shadow..myself currently use both shadow and nrg. I have to use nrg because shadow dont have the fuel press gauge. Other than that, all my gauges are shadow

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
confirm thieves dun wanna steal haha... nice one!

i guess nothing good comes cheap...at least without a lot of diy

anyway, this is also on my wish list for a water temp warning system. but it requires a hell lot of DIY such as a socket to mount the sensor n wiring for the warning system...

DC12V Mini Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller WH7016C LCD Display | eBay

but good thing is it is highly modifiable and has a built in realtime digital display and is also cheap. this item is mentioned in autospeed n it seems those blokes like it a lot.
Actually deep in my heart, I want the shadow one.. got audible warning, seems reliable for its price (based on forumers feedback la)... the set back is the price...

Yup, NRG is way cheaper... same as autogauge/prosport right? but no audible warning...

those JDM ones, like ixeo sez.. are pinnacle of reliable and accurate japanese tech, but also a thief magnet...

I just post this thread just to see if there's other option sub-rm500...

p/s: other than JDM/Taiwan/Chinese.... is there any brand? like USA got Autometer & PLX Device.... any review on them?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
cheap thing not good.. good thing not cheap..got to pay to play..

the NRG, Shadow..works..but I see high failure rates reported by owners.. one of them cost RM200? then the time and energy to get it fixed when it spoil? time = money. if a person is jobless then i guess they can buy NRG/Shadow since they have plenty of time.. back then the brand STRi also advertise a lot, now totally disappear from market, it was almost as expensive as Defi but had high failure rates..just google and you can see a lot of overseas users also got problem with it.

JDM stuff.. you can see many halfcut, 2nd hand gauges still working here...even after serving their first master in Japan..

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
I already diy built and installed that "water temperature alarm" in my Mitsubishi Lancer EL 1996 after my 4G13 overheat and emitted black smoke. I've called it "Coolant Overheat Alarm". When engine start to overheat Red LED will blink together with beeping audible alarm. It's a must have for old cars.:proud:

Attachments

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Thanks for the head's up bro :wavey:

I already diy built and installed that "water temperature alarm" in my Mitsubishi Lancer EL 1996 after my 4G13 overheat and emitted black smoke. I've called it "Coolant Overheat Alarm". When engine start to overheat Red LED will blink together with beeping audible alarm. It's a must have for old cars.:proud:
Nice DIY!! so at what temp do it sound the alarm?

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
Nice DIY!! so at what temp do it sound the alarm?
I don't know the exact temperature. What I did was to compare the Normal temp voltage of +5.1V from the coolant sensor ( Intake manifold sensor ). I have 3 jumper or temp voltage selection switch ( 4V, 3.6V and 2.4V was the highest temp voltage ). I set the my circuit voltage comparator to +4V. If the engine coolant or water start to overheat. The +5.1V will drop down below the set +4V and the circuit will be triggered and blink the Red LED with beeping sound. I assume that Temp Gauge needle should be above 1/4" from Normal Temp Needle pointer position when engine start to overheat and trigger the alarm. I've installed a smaller speaker ( 1/2" diameter) so that it will not be annoying. :driver:

The water alarm sensor was triggered before when my radiator fan stop due loose radiator thermoswitch connector.. But I forgot to to see the temp needle pointer position. Because I have to stop immediately due loud annoying sound from the big speaker 3/4" diameter. The alarm really works.

Last edited:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
papagoines..if u got time maybe we can have TT. i'll u show the difference between NRG and shadow.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Rleo6965: Nice one... :adore: if we can get a good thermometer to really test the output, maybe we can get the alarm to sound off at temperature that we really one :listen:

FYI, my engine normal running temperature is indicated at half of the oem water temp meter....standard with all Daihatsu Mira L502 turbo...

MKMD428: Appreciated it bro... already seen the diff wif my friends car... that's why deep down always wanted shadow...

just that nagging feeling at the back of my head that should save more to get JDM...

but then another nagging feeling that fear my car wiindows smashed

...dammit scumbag brain :banghead:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
shadow < JDM < scumbags / thief

quite hard to sort it..
think of any passive measures that might deter possible car breakup.
then it should be fine kot..

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
well..lets put it this way...if u can afford a japan gauge..go for it.
now even standard cars is a target for thieves.
i tink someone post somewhere about 2 wheels being stolen frm a waja..

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifu's i am currently driving a kelisa which has a standard master pump,standard braking system for a kelisa. However my intention is to upgrade my braking system which i need sifu's advise on this to whether to change L9 brake discs,knuckle,master pump or the standard myvi one. Budget wise around RM 300-500.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience