Help !!! Water stain remover causes matte surface ...

[email protected]

Aug 5, 2008
Hi all Sifu ... Few days ago I tried to clean water stains on my side view mirror using the water stain remover. Then after that the side mirror started become blurry and there is a rough matte surface on it. I tried all sorts of way I can though of to get rid of it but no luck. :bawling: Hope all sifu's can provide any ways or suggestions to get this fix. Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated ...

Last edited:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Post a pic of the product you use. If the mirror is scratched then you might need to repair/change. If it is the product stain that is on the mirror surface, you can try turpentine. But to be safe, please post a pic for the sifu here to comment and advise...

[email protected]

Aug 5, 2008
I used some sort of rain stain remover. Its written "Glass, Sport Rim & Copper Stain Remover" on the label and then later only i get to know its acidic and cannot be used on side mirrors. Below are attachments of the current state of my side mirror.

Attachments

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Looks like it has been scratched...should be some polisher it is. If you can't wipe it off with a cloth, it might be already damaged the mirrors. If you have turpentine, can try to use a little bit on it and see how it goes...hope it is just the stain and not damaged mirros. Good luck.

[email protected]

Aug 5, 2008
Bro cvkit17, thanks for the advice. I am refering to the whitish blurry stain as before using the product, the scratches is already there. I guess its the product stain. Now there is a layer of matte, blurry white haze on it.:bawling: May I know is turpentine same with thinner ?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If the stain is there on the surface of the mirror, then it is fortunate (by now). Can you remove the stain by wiping it with a microfiber cloth?

Thinner is NOT the same as turpentine. Thinner is highly abrasive and turpentine is mild. Turpentine can be used on paint but not thinner. If you do not have turpentine, mayb try some minyak angin as it contains some solvent that solute particles. Not very effective but if the stain comes off by using minyak angin, then you can save your worries already

[email protected]

Aug 5, 2008
If the stain is there on the surface of the mirror, then it is fortunate (by now). Can you remove the stain by wiping it with a microfiber cloth?

Thinner is NOT the same as turpentine. Thinner is highly abrasive and turpentine is mild. Turpentine can be used on paint but not thinner. If you do not have turpentine, mayb try some minyak angin as it contains some solvent that solute particles. Not very effective but if the stain comes off by using minyak angin, then you can save your worries already
Thanks bro, will try that right away ... Hmmm, wiping it with a micro fibre cloth does not work.
look like need to chg....
Really have to change already ? No cure ? :bawling:

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Bro, I've tried using minyan angin but still cannot. Looks like have to use turpentine ... But one thing I am sure... It's on the surface of the mirror as all the whitish thing appears to be reflected on the bottom layer which means its a layer on top ...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The mirror isn't too expensive to swap out mah. Those cleaners are meant for glass, your side mirrors are plastic

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
The mirror isn't too expensive to swap out mah. Those cleaners are meant for glass, your side mirrors are plastic
This statement is correct.

From the looks of it, it seems like a Myvi mirror *do correct me if I am wrong*

Rain stain removers, rainX dan the likes of it will stain the side mirror as it is plastic.

This is from a person whom has done it. Side mirror, clean it often so there is no rain mark on it.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Glass polisher products are ok. Sometimes, the mirror is damaged simply because the owner "over-power" polishing the glass, or the cloth used is unsuitably rough.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Ah..the sifus have spoken. Sorry to know that nth can be done.
Not to say that it cannot be saved. But sometimes its just better to replace it since the mirror is already in such a bad shape.

TS, if you want to try, try polishing. DIY style, u can try using toothpaste and a microfiber cloth. Or if you have any paint polish/compound, can try that as well.

What has happened is that the surface has been tainted. So removing the top layer "might" help. But seriously, i think changing the mirror saves more time and effort. Just sharing my opinion.

[email protected]

Aug 5, 2008
This statement is correct.

From the looks of it, it seems like a Myvi mirror *do correct me if I am wrong*

Rain stain removers, rainX dan the likes of it will stain the side mirror as it is plastic.

This is from a person whom has done it. Side mirror, clean it often so there is no rain mark on it.
:bawling:It is the side mirror of a Toyota Camry. I am broke at the moment as the side mirror is quite expensive for me.
Not to say that it cannot be saved. But sometimes its just better to replace it since the mirror is already in such a bad shape.

TS, if you want to try, try polishing. DIY style, u can try using toothpaste and a microfiber cloth. Or if you have any paint polish/compound, can try that as well.

What has happened is that the surface has been tainted. So removing the top layer "might" help. But seriously, i think changing the mirror saves more time and effort. Just sharing my opinion.
Thank you so much for the suggestion bro. Will really try that. Can the normal rubbing compound we use for the car paint work? Is that what you mean? And what happened to your side mirror after that?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there all ZerotoHundred members, i have open Nyonya Cafe at NO.10G JALAN BESTARI 6/2, TAMAN NUSA BESTARI. Opposite of Tesco. Near Alliance Bank Bukit Indah. Feel free drop by and enjoy pure Nyonya Food. Website = http://www.facebook.com/pages/Madam-Changs-Nyonya-Cafe/134197796601036
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience