Component set

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
Good day,guys n sifus......seeking for component set for my Hyundai Matrix.Planning to go 2 or 3 way....got a budget of rm2k for it,so kindly advise which one would be for SQ...was advised to go for Dominations,any word of advice?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You've got a pretty decent budget. If you don't plan on DIY-ing, I suggest you bring your car and money to a trusted installer and let them recommend a mix and match setup for you. With a component set you'll need an amp (or not. Depends)

I recommend either CV Audio Uptown Damansara (Peter is the guy you want to look for) or EA Autoworks Bukit Jalil (Howie Choo) and then work with them on what's good for your requirements. No point buying a brand separately and bringing to someone to install because most of the time it won't be a good match or done properly, or in some extreme cases, they won't do it for you unless you pay premium.

Peter from CV will let you test several speakers in your car if there is time. Howie has a demo room which he can hook up any speaker he has in his shop to let you listen.

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
Okay,thank you for the advise...already visited Howie,left Peter from CV ny...will visit him today!!thank you!!

vickyz

500 RPM
Nov 7, 2005
U can visit KF audio also at Kayu ara. u Can discuss with him.Recomended

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
Went to CV Uptown,Peter wasn't around and staff knew nothing much about pricing,so left to CV Kuchai and met the boss there,was given a new perspective about ICE,placing me in a dilemma...2 way or 3 way....which is better??and what are the cost hidden??Sorry,been too long since i left ice-ing,forgot about stuffs.....

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
3 way fronts are better, especially if u play lot of vocals, extra costs will be wiring and installation, if passive 3 way you will need a more powerful 2ch amp, if playing active u will need an extra 2ch amp and a 3 way capable electronic xover

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
Zenn,i'm using Alpine 9887 now...got a 4ch amp in hand,went for a Ciare 2 way component audit the other day,wanna try the 3 way Dominations too....btw went to STP dealer/installer,charging rm1k for both front doors for 6 layer of soundproofing,is that reasonable or crap?

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Just to share of a 2 way and 3 way comps. Started from a crappy coaxial to a 2 way alpine comps with little improvement. i guess my expectation was very high back then on a budget comp.

Went to a 3 way iridium and difference is day and night. Vocal is smooth, non ear piercing tweeter and good bass on the mids. The only problem was it was so difficult to place the tweeter and midrange that you can get a good staging and imaging. I drive a kembara for daily driver and its my project car. The dashboard was not wide enough to accommodate them and its so difficult to place them let alone to tune them. listening to music was nice but its all over the place.

So I decided to go back to 2 way front with the tweeter can cover wider freq range to cover the male and female vocals while the midbass is on the kickpanel. Lets just say it remains on paper.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Zenn,i'm using Alpine 9887 now...got a 4ch amp in hand,went for a Ciare 2 way component audit the other day,wanna try the 3 way Dominations too....btw went to STP dealer/installer,charging rm1k for both front doors for 6 layer of soundproofing,is that reasonable or crap?
I'd suggest you shop around first.

A well setup and matched 2-way can do pretty well on its own but compared to the much more expensive well setup 3-way, it'll be outclassed la. 3-ways can be a pain in the ass to tune in terms of speaker positioning, crossover points (if not using passive) and placement of the speakers themselves if you drive a small car.

Personally I'd just stick with 2-way first.

Also I'd suggest the following : Sound proof doors, custom door panel, 2-way components powered by a class AB amp, sub powered by a class AB monoblock.

And depending on the brand of the components, you'll be surprised what a high end 2-way can do. The 2-way highest end Sinfoni components will outshine a lot of brands you'll come across. Heck even my Dynaudio 240 MKII will do better than most brands out there. But the way these two sound are like day and night and depending on the amp you use to power them, they may or may not be to your liking.

Instead of going to shops, you should mix around with ICErs and test try their cars and their speakers. Then only decide which one makes you happy, find out who the installer is and go to that person and ask for the same or similar setup.

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
Just to share of a 2 way and 3 way comps. Started from a crappy coaxial to a 2 way alpine comps with little improvement. i guess my expectation was very high back then on a budget comp.

Went to a 3 way iridium and difference is day and night. Vocal is smooth, non ear piercing tweeter and good bass on the mids. The only problem was it was so difficult to place the tweeter and midrange that you can get a good staging and imaging. I drive a kembara for daily driver and its my project car. The dashboard was not wide enough to accommodate them and its so difficult to place them let alone to tune them. listening to music was nice but its all over the place.

So I decided to go back to 2 way front with the tweeter can cover wider freq range to cover the male and female vocals while the midbass is on the kickpanel. Lets just say it remains on paper.
hmmmm,it's like havin too many setups in ur mind....same shyt i'm goin thru,but i'm using Hyundai Matrix for the ICE journey now,therefore i am guessing the stage is there,left to decide who the dancers gonna be only:driver::driver::driver:..thanks you for that piece of mind,appleyard..appreciate it...

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

I'd suggest you shop around first.

A well setup and matched 2-way can do pretty well on its own but compared to the much more expensive well setup 3-way, it'll be outclassed la. 3-ways can be a pain in the ass to tune in terms of speaker positioning, crossover points (if not using passive) and placement of the speakers themselves if you drive a small car.

Personally I'd just stick with 2-way first.

Also I'd suggest the following : Sound proof doors, custom door panel, 2-way components powered by a class AB amp, sub powered by a class AB monoblock.

And depending on the brand of the components, you'll be surprised what a high end 2-way can do. The 2-way highest end Sinfoni components will outshine a lot of brands you'll come across. Heck even my Dynaudio 240 MKII will do better than most brands out there. But the way these two sound are like day and night and depending on the amp you use to power them, they may or may not be to your liking.

Instead of going to shops, you should mix around with ICErs and test try their cars and their speakers. Then only decide which one makes you happy, find out who the installer is and go to that person and ask for the same or similar setup.
being offered Audio Development w60 2 way,Morel Supremo(kinda off budget though :P,Ciare 2 way,Audison Voce AV k6 2 way...all these are 2 way...though i'd wish to have 3 way installed,judging from the hu that i'm using now,Alpine 9887 i need to end up getting a processor that'll cost a bomb for now...so,maybe i shall stick to 2 way for now....advise me then on the 2 way that i ought to be using....love vocals,but i listen to everything...from ABBA to Zainal Abidin :P

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Supremo is out of your budget range? If you drop by CV Audio Uptown Damansara, ask Peter to let you try the Rainbow range of speakers. Those are pretty awesome, especially their 2nd flagship speaker range.

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
Supremo is out of your budget range? If you drop by CV Audio Uptown Damansara, ask Peter to let you try the Rainbow range of speakers. Those are pretty awesome, especially their 2nd flagship speaker range.
well,i dunno whether they are within the budget range or not for a fact...they could be:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:
anyways,dun plan to invest in a processor now..but then again,if i do in the future,i'd wanna upgrade to 3 way then,so is it advisable to purchase a 3 way,yet only use the 2 out 3 speakers just like Howie suggested for the Dominations setup??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
There's no such thing as advisable or not. It's whether you can afford it and whether it sounds good to you. If (for example) you can only afford RM3,000 for a complete setup, no point buying half a 3-way for that amount of money and dreaming that you had more money to buy all of it.

Better you spend the RM3k on a complete setup you are happy with. If after auditioning all the RM3k setups you've come across and don't like any, suggest you save the money and spend more after you saved more on a higher end setup that might satisfy your requirements.

vishnnu

500 RPM
Sep 29, 2008
There's no such thing as advisable or not. It's whether you can afford it and whether it sounds good to you. If (for example) you can only afford RM3,000 for a complete setup, no point buying half a 3-way for that amount of money and dreaming that you had more money to buy all of it.

Better you spend the RM3k on a complete setup you are happy with. If after auditioning all the RM3k setups you've come across and don't like any, suggest you save the money and spend more after you saved more on a higher end setup that might satisfy your requirements.
thus far,just managed to hear a 2 way Ciare which was an entry set,costs rm850(prior nego)...yet to get a taste of the rest,Izso....hmmmmm,i dun intend to go for a change anytime soon once i've managed to purchase the right set...dats why i'm kinda lost,worried to end up picking the wrong one...budget wise,i've set aside rm2k plus minus for my 2 way or 3 way which i believe should get me a respectable 2way/3way set if not high end....i'm planning to use these amps,ol skool Soundstream Reference 404s,700s and 300...hu would be Alpine 9887...haven't gotten my sub yet,thinking of Peerless xxls,Seas Lotus sw300(if can get) or any good SQ sub.....no processor yet,but might actually get that Alpine pxa-h800 without the controller,might not if there's any awesome 2 ways available.....i have the faintest idea how would an awesome 2 way would sound,let alone 3 way coz it's been quite sometime....:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Good day to all the sifus and gurus here... refering to the above pix, i'm wondering what do i need if i'd like to add bulbs to it and where should i connect the wires if i want it to turn on follow the night lights?

Please advise... thanks in advance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience