question about coolant....

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i still prefer distilled water rather than any coolant .
no mineral = no clogging, sludge building in the radiator.

and also, do mind the matter than distilled water has the best flow rate as compared to the coolant .
these coolants are considered heavy liquid hence, hogging your pump system .
but then again, the pump is strong enough to do the job .

but i prefer distilled because its still the best liquid available for cooling system i believe .

@upontheriversky

u can get from 7-11 or any petrol station at arnd RM7 for 5 liters .

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
i still prefer distilled water rather than any coolant .
no mineral = no clogging, sludge building in the radiator.

and also, do mind the matter than distilled water has the best flow rate as compared to the coolant .
these coolants are considered heavy liquid hence, hogging your pump system .
but then again, the pump is strong enough to do the job .

but i prefer distilled because its still the best liquid available for cooling system i believe .

@upontheriversky

u can get from 7-11 or any petrol station at arnd RM7 for 5 liters .
but with coolant, ur water temp is better. oem manufacturer cars all wit coolant, so i assumed there is a reason :)

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
its up to the individual preference .
possibly yes, since it comes standard with the coolant, probably the best idea .
but to me, i still prefer better flow rate and best dissipation rate.

well at least, that's what i believe in .
hehe

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
Erm.. Buy from pasar borong RM5 per 5L bigass bottle. I have 3 at home for my flushing purposes. Got sell one laaa.. just look for 'distilled water'
dude, u re also using 100% distilled water w/o coolant? how often do u flush ur radiator?:smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
dude, u re also using 100% distilled water w/o coolant? how often do u flush ur radiator?:smokin:
No no.. I always use coolant. 50% coolant, 50% distilled water. But I use a lot of distilled water for the flushing. I don't use tap water at all.

Last edited:

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
No no.. I always use coolant. 50% coolant, 50% distilled water. But I use a lot of distilled water for the flushing. I don't use tap water at all.

OIC, thanks bro....

Fendy89

Jun 11, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i`m not using coolant at all

100% water only..

but now i think want to use toyota coolant since it get many positive review from customers

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
Interesting to know you all so well quip with coolant information... here is some additional to clarify the facts and myth

1. why do we use coolant + water for the radiator?
To balance off the property of both, related to heat dissipation ability and also temperature.
Temperature
In cold country, winter can reach -20C .. -40C
Coolant in most form is made from ehtylene glycol, a liquid that will freeze at -13C, trust me a lot of the part in the world, the winter is more harsh. Here come where water will play the part, water will freeze at 0C , however, combining these two liquid it will allow the freezing point drop further more. (long lecture on crystallization...)
Summary
Water 70%-Cool 30% Freeze @ -7C
Water 50%-Cool 50% Freeze @ -34C
Water 30%-Cool 70% Freeze @ -51C
Water 10%-Cool 90% Freeze @ -29C
That is why you need water.

Heat Dissipation
In our hot weather country, forget about the winter, is hot we need to throw it out!

Fact: Coolant got only 50% of what water can hold.
Myth: Coolant to improve cooling efficiency, but is not. In fact, it increase the boiling point as a cooling agent

Coolant is not only cooling agent, its a lubrication, protector, prevent calcification and protect your radiator from over blown! How ? By raising the temperature up !

Coolant has a very great boiling point, which is roughly 200C, which sound not practical but is helpful. because water boiled at 100C, everytime the water is circulated in the block, the temperature of water increase very fast and instant, there will be alot of times the water will raise near or above where the water vaporized, when it vaporized, air expand ( read back ideal gas law..)
then Pressure build up and then your radiator take the hit. If your car cooling is aged, most likely it will burst the radiator at it seam.

Adding Coolant into it, will does the little magic trick, by increase the boiling point up above 100C, at 70-30 you will get about 132, which is very safe from vaporize point in your cooling system.

2. can i use only coolant, no water?
heat dissipation will be 50% slower, and the coolant temp now can go high up 200C before it will build up pressure where your cap fail safe mostly at 0.9~1.1bar. Your cooling system will start failing eventually

3. will my cooling system bacomes better n my engine temperature go down more if i use 100% coolant?
Definitely NO.

4. is it true if we use 100% coolant the radiator tends to crack at the joints n become weaker and prone to clogging? (heard this from few reputable pomen......) true, but no the clogging because there will be leak not clogs .. hahaa....

Additional
The main harm from gov water source, is chlorine (which use to kill germs) and chalk (batu kapur) (use to clean water)
Mineral too contains unknown pollutant source.
So the best one is to get Distilled water

Ethylene glycol is little acidic or neutral in general. However the interaction long time with heat and water in the system, after sometime it will turn acidic. So always check the PH to make sure it is not hurting your cooling system.

Using only distil water in your cooling system is good enough, but you should be aware of the vaporization process, rusting and calcification. How and where it come ? Do you think your water pump is made from aluminum ? Stainless Steel? or Copper? :rofl:

most market sold coolant is pre diluted, mainly Water70-Coolant30 (for trusted brand).
As guide. Japanese vehicle should not use more than 15-30% of coolant, European never more than 30-50%. Best guide, follow manual book.

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
yeah me likey, thanks bro!

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

HMMMM......... well somehow to get the accurate ratio of water+coolant is easy if we flush the whole thing but later on when we start to top-up either top-up with water or coolant, then the ratio would change rite? so over time the right ratio will be wrong too..... the best is to flush la instead of topping up?

rite?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Using only distil water in your cooling system is good enough, but you should be aware of the vaporization process, rusting and calcification. How and where it come ? Do you think your water pump is made from aluminum ? Stainless Steel? or Copper? :rofl:
Does this mean that using distilled water is not necessary? I'm using the distilled water by buying the battery water from kiosks, mixing with coolant of 50:50 (roughly estimate).

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
Does this mean that using distilled water is not necessary? I'm using the distilled water by buying the battery water from kiosks, mixing with coolant of 50:50 (roughly estimate).
What I meant is distilled water is good enough without coolant, but it would be ideal mixing with little coolant for lubrication, rust prevention and calcium buildup.

BTW
Battery water is ionised water , is not distilled water please do not attempt to pour battery water into your radiator as that will 100% hurt your radiator.

Buy distilled water and mixing with coolant (typically pre dilute 70-30) so a 50distilled - 50 bottle coolant will give you healthy ~15% concentration.

You can get various coolant concentration too, just mix proportionally.

Sergei_korolev

Sep 27, 2009
Ipoh
i went to service my ride and the guy asked me put oil based coolant
so i did and paid 30bux.
2 nights later i found my water pump K.O
water and coolant were all over the floor.
this never happened when i was using just plain water
haizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz now less by 200bux :(

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
very interesting.. care to share more on what is oil based coolant ? picture of damage pump ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

planing to change my gearbox.i'm using auto gearbox and planing to change to 1.6 mivec manual gearbox. need more pick-up n top speed.

So how much is the cost to change it?
what are the things that i had to change?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience