Neo Campro CPS to Mivec 1.6 Boleh?

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, I recently discovered that a stock mivec 1.6 engine can actually produce over 170+hp.

Which is very impressive since that is about the figures you get with a compro turbo engine. I was planning all along to turbo my neo cps one day but then after discovering this I felt that if its is possible, it would be better to just tansplant a mivec 1.6 engine into my neo instead.

Furthermore it is possible to increase the Mivec 1.6 to 1.8 by changing the block if you ever want more power and turbocharging it will give you well over 200+ Hp. For now we'll just stick to a 1.6 Mivec conversion.

My questions are:

1. Is the engine mounting on the neo suitable for a mivec 1.6 engine?

2. Any reliability issues? And will the meters, and gauges on my still work properly?

3. Does the mivec 1.6 engine have very bad fuel consumption as claimed by some?

4. The cost of doing the whole job and also how much I can trade in my campro CPS engine for?

Those who have any info please do share here :wavey:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
possible... can be done...

but personally id shove in a 4G93T instead... can always add in the mivec later on.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I dont want to turbo so fast yet.... still want to stick to NA for time being. Like the high rev.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
sure that mivec 1.8 can reach over 200hp on wheels...

btw for the conversion mot much customizing needed..only "wiring combining" need some carefull attention.....other than that it was a perfect alternative instead of modding campro engine....

savvy001

Aug 7, 2006
if u ask me i prefer the stock engine that is new...............................

firdausasri

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Stock 4g92 mivec claims of 170bhp to me is pretty much overrated. Unless you managed to hybrid it with suitable 4g93 block. Even so to go any higher than 200whp with whatever mods with reliability in mind is pretty impossible....

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
sure that mivec 1.8 can reach over 200hp on wheels...

btw for the conversion mot much customizing needed..only "wiring combining" need some carefull attention.....other than that it was a perfect alternative instead of modding campro engine....
Any recommended workshop to do this? I looking at Dori-dori but not sure if they provide this service.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
not sure can recommend...because most i saw doing at normal workshop...perhaps u can try look in satria neo forum/segment to seek recommendation from the neo user.. :adore:

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
not sure can recommend...because most i saw doing at normal workshop...perhaps u can try look in satria neo forum/segment to seek recommendation from the neo user.. :adore:
I'm interested in the guy that did the 240+hp mivec. Saw his FB.... looks like quite experienced in this field. Hehe

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
perhaps this is among the famous mivec tuner i heard....

Mal Auto Garage - Shah Alam, Malaysia - Perniagaan Tempatan | Facebook

CONTACT - MH TUNER

there is some discussion long time ago in http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/mitsubishi/359945-4g94-mivec.html

p/s:not advertising intended..just for info...
Thanks bro, really appreciate it. The guy i was talking about I smsed him, engine lantai 7.5-8k, workmanship 1.5k..... only bad thing is my engine trade in only 2k.... :bawling:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
not bad engine lantai was around that price.....

full halfcut even reaching 13k

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
hello bro XlimShady, let me share some of my experience.... whether to convert or BOT or stay NA....

Objective
first is to consider what is your objective...
- drag?
- track & autokhanna?
- daily driven fun car with a bit more power and reliability?

OR...

- u want high HP or u want high torque?

once you decide what you want, then the mods will follow more naturally.....

Platform/chassis
then let us discuss your platform, a satria neo.......
FYI, it is not advisable for a satria neo to convert to 4G because of the difference in number of engine mounting, the campro in satria neo have only 2 engine mountings while the 4g92/4g93t have 3 mountings..... satria neo also missing the lower crossmember, unlike waja, gen2and persona, they have 3 mountings n the lower cross member, so its just plug n play.....

Conversion
yes u can sangkut the 4g engine but due to the short of one mounting, the rattle, vibration and movement of the more powerful 4G engine will definitely damage the handling of your neo (especially mivec that can rev up to 8.5k rpm in stock form), trust me u will hate your neo if you go this way.... but if u only wanna drag ur neo, then this conversion is the way to go because we can only use 4G series from CK5A or CM5A chassis or evo4-6.... but evo cant endorse anymore, so only few options.... of course u can ROJAK the 4G series like:
-get a mivec 1.6 and change the block to 1.8, so it becomes a mivec 1.8 OR
-get a gsr 1.8 and change the head to mivec, so it becomes a gsr 1.8 mivec..... YUMMY....
-also u can up the torque by using a 4g94 2.0 block but seriously, parts mmg rare n maintenance sucks............
-there is also a less powerful 4g93 GDI 1.8 NA or turbo but not worth the money spent.... (power is low n parts hard to get)

other points would be the age of these engines.... CK/CM chassis is at least 10-15 years already (since evo4 time), so the engine will also be as old as that... halfcut will set u back from rm 6k all the way to rm12k, then the cost of rebuilding and parts availability is kinda scarce...... meaning maintenance SUCKS! you also need to get it endorse.... bnyk kerja n bnyk duit..... but if u could source a good reputable tuner, it will be money well spend cos in stock std, the power is much2 higher that campro of all generation.....hehehe

BOT
an easy way and lately it is already save to BOT campro as long as u dont overboost the engine.... safe would mean that boost would be around 0.5-0.8psi max on std high compression internals.... this will net you HP around 170-190hp with quite great torque.... any higher than that be prepare to invest cos need to custom a lot of things.... do note that campro have tendency to fail on crank.... be it NA or BOT, many reported cases on campro failing on the crank.... patah terus n berkecai..... u can still daily drive BOT campro and it will still retain the superb neo handling and chassis capability cos u dont change or alter the mounting..... trust me it will be a fun car to drive!

Normal Aspiration
this is still the safest way to mod your neo and retain all the characteristics of the car.... campro sucks cos of the low rev torque dip, but in higher rpm range, it is still one of the modest engine around.... in the market now there are a lot of tuners coming up with perf parts for campro engine and proven on track/drag strip..... its just that the amount that u spend on an NA engine will not net as much power as a turbo engine.... if u spend rm30k on NA engine u maybe will net around 30hp max, but if u spend rm30k on a turbo engine, the power will be upped by at least 50hp.... but, NA easy to maintain n durable, turbo still not that hard to maintain but not as durable if u keep on redlining the engine....

i would suggest for your neo cps, keep it NA by:
- high comp pistons, or bore and use bigger pistons
- PnP head (stage 3)
- high cams and all related light pulleys available (crank, waterpump, adj cams)
- port match the intake, TB to the cams duration and degree
- open pod + CAI + fuel regulator + iridium plugs + bigger fuel rails + bigger core radiator + oil cooler + more powerful fuel pump
- properly tuned headers + free flow exhaust
- haltech platinum/sprint 500, if have extra cash go for 1000 (it can withstand higher temperature than 500 with more sensors)
- get a mivec gearbox with FD4.6 with or without LSD, or a cheaper option get exora manual GB.... it also have FD4.6
- exedy 3/4 puck with cover, get the japan one
- once all been done, get your engine fully balanced and blueprinted and then re-tune the haltech

these mods alone will allow your car to rev up to 8k rpm safely with usable power as low as 3k rpm (depend on setting) and you will get more torque n hp and retain all the nice handling, no need to endorse, parts senang dapat, etc etc

but always make sure you use a good lubrication which mostly expensive la (engine oil, gearbox oil, brake fluid, coolant, steering oil), and always buy ORIGINAL parts, never trust copycat parts..... pastu kalau dah siap semua get a good suspension setup via fully adjustable suspension, chassis bars, and upgrade your brake cos doesnt matter how powerful and how fast your ride, u still need to stop on time!

cheers and happy modding bro.....

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

So my dad was driving in Batu Gajah town and some idiot decided to side-swipe my dad's SUV and left some damage marks on the car. It was painful to see such the paint on the vehicle being damaged by a passer by idiot and not even stopped by to apologize.

A zerotohundred.com frequent visitor, Josh a.k.a. St1l has offered to help me remove the nasty side-swipe marks...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience