How I blew by RB26DETT....please share

How my RB26DETT blew............

• Heavy foot AND cornering Junkie (High RPM Drift King?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I blame Nissan ...(oil pump/collar issue)

• I could not resist turning up the BOOST.....now my GTR is NA....

• Never Blown - I have done all the mods.. :-)

• Total voters

bnr_32

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
Just FYI, some of the crank bearings were falling off the block instead of supposedly seated nicely during removal of the crankshaft..

Was told by the mech that the crank (and the block too perhaps) had gone off balance resulting in shot bearings..

Anyways, will go to the shop to get those numbers for you.. Cheers bro :burnout:
if the bearings is not seated properly when u remove the crank most probably you have bend your crank due to insufficient oil to lubricate the bearing n crank or oil temp is too high.. so i think you have to look into those 2 area first to prevent it happening again

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
if the bearings is not seated properly when u remove the crank most probably you have bend your crank due to insufficient oil to lubricate the bearing n crank or oil temp is too high.. so i think you have to look into those 2 area first to prevent it happening again

I agree. The mechs also mentioned the possibility of a bent crankshaft and may also resulted in a distorted crankcase as well.

Searching for a replacement crankshaft and block would be a solution, but getting a used one may result in a lottery. If I'm unlucky, getting a similar bent crankshaft and distorted block would prove costly as well..

So I'm opting for a new crate engine to rectify this (perhaps a long block or maybe just a short block will suffice) but need a couple of months before funding is available :vollkommenauf:

bnr_32

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
My 32R had low oil pressure upon warm up, around 1 bar or slightly less. The oil pressure continued to go lower after a few days hence prompted me to send the car to the shop.

In my case, I think the oil pump was on its way out as it wasn't documented if the pump had been changed before. I assumed it still was using the original pump ever since it came out of the factory in 1991.
don't rely on the stock oil press gauge on the dash bro.. mine also show low oil press all the time like yours.. i think the sensor has kaput after 20 years hehe.. now i've install aftermarket oil press meter after i blew my engine similarly like what happen to yours and only now i can see my oil press showing 4-8 bar of oil pressure when driving where the stock oil press gauge show 2-3bar.. upon warm up my stock oil press gauge show 1-2 bar (sometime lower) and my aftermarket oil press gauge show 6-7 bar consistently.. when idle after engine is warm the aftermarket gauge consistently show 3-4 bar where the stock gauge shows 1-2bar (sometime lower).. morale of the story is dont trust your stock oil press gauge since our car is too old alredy heheh

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
don't rely on the stock oil press gauge on the dash bro.. mine also show low oil press all the time like yours.. i think the sensor has kaput after 20 years hehe.. now i've install aftermarket oil press meter after i blew my engine similarly like what happen to yours and only now i can see my oil press showing 4-8 bar of oil pressure when driving where the stock oil press gauge show 2-3bar.. upon warm up my stock oil press gauge show 1-2 bar (sometime lower) and my aftermarket oil press gauge show 6-7 bar consistently.. when idle after engine is warm the aftermarket gauge consistently show 3-4 bar where the stock gauge shows 1-2bar (sometime lower).. morale of the story is dont trust your stock oil press gauge since our car is too old alredy heheh

Yep, I agree.. :biggrin:

Looking for suitable aftermarket gauges, though would prefer an all-in one solution like the Defi-Link Display or new Defi Advance ZD.. and perhaps having it mounted like BNR34's MFD..

Hurm.. VSD X also interests me as previously I had the VSD Concept in my ex180SX..

Jun 2, 2010
BSB Brunei
Was your vehicle RB26DETT with twin Garrett TE270 p/n 466071, oem# 14411-05U22 ?
these come with ceramic turbine wheel heads which are very fragile and with stock boost and will break over 1bar/14.7psi boost.
RWC turbochargers can supply/fit conventional inconel 713C replacment shaft/wheels.
www.turbocole.com
Regarding oil for turbo vehicles- 15w40 or 20w50 semi synthetic for this tropical climate is the way to go. visit www.rockoil.com
Only Volvo recommend a fully synthetic oil for their twi turbo 4x4's.
Cheers
Rick

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
Just to share: How not to blow RB26. I blast my RB26 hard...when i say hard, i really mean damn hard...
since 2005, engine is very healthy, compression spot on... the secret is:

1) frequent oil/filter change - i don't follow the 5k intervals, it depends on how rough it was driven at any point of time

2) Never over-rev (use ignition cut instead of factory fuel cut = safer)

3) Prep/warm the oil fully before a hard drive (above 80deg)

4) Aware of Knocks/Pings

4) Aware of oil temp

5) Aware of oil press

6) EGT....that's it, tht's the secret. HONESTLY

actually, its a strong engine if built well...
GREAT ADVICE!!!:adore::adore::adore:

Oil temp gauge is a must.

Oil pressure sensor is usually inaccurate, needs replacing to indicate true oil pressure.

Oil cooler (AND relocation kit) would be great too. The filter is very HARD TO REACH.

I was being paranoid and thought I had spun some bearings driving my car back from Port Kelang.
But didn't make sense since my oil is fresh, oil pressure is good, didn't rev past 6500rpm etc.

This morning I rechecked my engine, I'm think the rattling sound is piston slap because at cold start it's there, with a bit of vibration felt on the cam covers. However when the car is warm, it's damn smooth with no rattles heard.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Gobiz, glad to hear it's all good. So she will be in hibernation till you're back then. :)

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
yep, hopefully just short hibernation....so sad can't attend the gathering, wanted to drool over all the insane machines.....

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
Yes im totally agree with Rakzakzsa...and also the important thing to take care is the Oil engine. Last time im using Torco oil but I realize that the oil is thin and become lesser when regularly drive. So I do research what is the suitable oil for the GTR engine. And lots of GTR owner said that they are using castrol egde. So I did try the said oil and it’s proved. Till now im using the said oil...but recently I quite grotesque why my oil pressure is low. When I warm up the engine, supposedly the oil pressure indicator show at the middle of the meter but now one bar fall. Any idea or advise? Do your car have a same reading?
Bro, is hard to tell that is a problem or not since we all know the stock GTR oil pressure sensor always doggy one. As long as when u driving, keep your eye on your oil press meter, when accelerate above 4k or higher rpm, your oil pressure should not less than middle(4 bar).

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Sorry for off topic here. I hvt blow my RB26DETT(touch wood) but i would like to know usual price for rebuild is around how much? I think i should start saving $ for that, currently running 42k+ km(i bet should be more since stock dash meter is swap to NismoMeter). Let say i replace with Tomei parts), just agak-agak figure how much? And what parts normal need to be change.

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
Not mean to digging out an out thread but are those oil pressure sensor on r34 are similar to r33,32? I assume those info in r34 are more accurate on r34?

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Not mean to digging out an out thread but are those oil pressure sensor on r34 are similar to r33,32? I assume those info in r34 are more accurate on r34?
Ppl just usually buy Z32 one. Cheaper I heard.

I think I also want to check using mechanical oil pressure gauge.

My engine starts fine and idles fine, can't hear any knocking. It's just the oil pressure now on the lowish side. Maybe I check later today.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

6/1/06 - around 3am..

my fren satria rear window was smash.. dont take anything

7/1/06 - 7.30am..

my vafc has been stolen.. 4 man (malay) use 2 motorbike smash my pessenger window.. my car park outside my house.. thanks god they dont stole my brother in law audio player..

9/1/06 - afternoon..

my fren walkie talkie antenna was stolen..

10/1/06 - 2-3 am..

my neighbour cd player was stolen...

:baring_teeth: so resident in cheras area, pls beware..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience