Touge time: Toyota 86 first drive up genting highlands - with on board video

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Thanks for the feedback.The RX8 is very special car since while it not that powerful(what else mine was 6AT) but the level of confidence it bring when you speed up into the corner,you can actually feel the steering really communicative altogether with the chassis,which is always make me amaze with the car.I not a fast driver myself,but I do have a couple of trackday with both 2 wheels & 4 wheels(I started riding performance bike since 17 years old & since then I would going for trackday if my allowance allowed me to do so) & since my first ever RWD sportscar was Z33(Great car,but it lack steering feels & mostly just like many Nissan car,it felt heavier to take the quick S-type turn,& the numb' steering feels doesnt inspired you a confidence to push it more & the car can quickly lose a grip with speed more than 120km/h on the corner as for my trackday experience with bone stock Z33.)

I still think that part of Mazda RX sportscar handle so well might have to do with the rotary engine that was so smooth in higher rev as motorcycle engine & not to mention,the overall dimension are so small for the engine that had 200 plus horses & that contributed to overall lightness & chasiss rigidty as well.(I still,love this car especially when attacking the corner at Klawang b-road behind my house.Handling wise is pretty much like the NSX,but as the NSX is mid engined car & have 2 seat,I still have my big kudos for Mazda engineer for making such an aspiring car that easily built a confidence for its driver to push the car even further.)

Yes,my NSX are rare 91' Grand Prix White.(since 91' in Malaysia is always in red colour or repainted)
& it comes with few rare mod too.But I was thinking for MT conversion with either a JDM short ratio 5spd manual or E61 multi clutch 02+ 6spd but it might be too costly since 02'+ onward are still considered as rare model due to the little production before being ceased)

I slowly on my way of making the NSX back to its original condition.I love a great looking car but I not really keen on having an aftermarket look" on my car as many do.But since the NSX is hard to find,I just need to finish my hunt with a "molested" one like I had now(Luckily previous owner didnt put a widebodykit or else I would be damned to have the car restored!)

Even though with tein type flex, 18" R1R, full set of bars from Autoexe, full bucket seats and etc, I still think that RX8 still have plenty room for improvement when talk about cornering. Besides that, you never encounter the EPS suddenly quit during cornering. The lotus handling badge on proton some more not worth to talk about. I just feel that everytime a car manufacture advertised how good is their cars' handling, normally is way under expectation. Normally say until the car can corner better than a go kart but most will let your ear to scoop sand when you try it at home at your own risk. Or, probably I missed that the ad was having a 0.5mm tiny little sentence at the bottom corner with the same color with background saying that the description is based on 70km/h.

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Even though with tein type flex, 18" R1R, full set of bars from Autoexe, full bucket seats and etc, I still think that RX8 still have plenty room for improvement when talk about cornering. Besides that, you never encounter the EPS suddenly quit during cornering. The lotus handling badge on proton some more not worth to talk about. I just feel that everytime a car manufacture advertised how good is their cars' handling, normally is way under expectation. Normally say until the car can corner better than a go kart but most will let your ear to scoop sand when you try it at home at your own risk. Or, probably I missed that the ad was having a 0.5mm tiny little sentence at the bottom corner with the same color with background saying that the description is based on 70km/h.
Yep,that is the point.But for the least,the car actually can "flex" abit like the NSX during cornering is something that helping me to define the feel when going to push a car to its limit(the limit as defined by myself laa...I not a pro driver hehe)
Z33 in comparison are felt bulkier,not-so communicative steering & the suspension setup are way too stiff until it was hard to feel any kind of flexing' if the car not thrown suddenly at the corner more than 120km/h(This is mostly the speed that I would prepare my hand to counter any snap' on the rear wheel during my trackday year.Spinning around turn 9 always at this speed until I think that it would be better if I expect the car already on its limit & be prepared for the worst since I cant hope the car to be able to stick at the road like it does on lower speed than 120km/h+)

The fastest I have been on RX8 is 155km/h during downhill on Genting with 4 people on board.It was that time I was feel like this car handling really something else....it had the flex' to alert you when you on limit,twitching'-sticky like steering feel on lower speed that signaling its potential & yeah it does.

But as I rarely drive any car like I used to & with less & less TD,my confidence for its potential has going abit downward but still nonetheless I always enjoyed it when I using the Klawang twisties when going to work.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Genting downhill never try cuz too many bumps (especially those on guard house) and I'm not familiar with the road. But max I did 190km/h (exit corner speed) at Genting sempah area except the 2-3 corners after the tunnel where T1R keep on complaining at 150km/h (and I afraid of tire noise). It is not fast because I did follow a golf and a wiralution at +-180km/h speed before. Normally I just 'throw' the car until tire make noise and I let go the throttle a bit for correction. I don't know how to appreciate flex and other thing. It is all base on my feeling.

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Genting downhill never try cuz too many bumps (especially those on guard house) and I'm not familiar with the road. But max I did 190km/h (exit corner speed) at Genting sempah area except the 2-3 corners after the tunnel where T1R keep on complaining at 150km/h (and I afraid of tire noise). It is not fast because I did follow a golf and a wiralution at +-180km/h speed before. Normally I just 'throw' the car until tire make noise and I let go the throttle a bit for correction. I don't know how to appreciate flex and other thing. It is all base on my feeling.

I also would put the tire noise,steering feels,& body flex as my way to know the car limit during cornering.

You can learn to appreciate the body flex if you driving a Nissan sportcars especially.There car are good but not good enough in term of handling & tend to have those stiff" suspension feels that the oem setting on their car are rarely have "extreme flex" like Honda & Mazda sportscar.

When I was using the Z for track attack,usually I would try to speed up on the corner until body flex going too extreme' to signaling that I would hit the limit as I do on motorcycle.

But as the Z has very stiffer feels & rarely flex to extreme degree(even after 120km/h & it was heavy car) all it does mostly a "quick snap" without warning.So to driving the car fast in oem setup required you to be ready atleast for some sliding action(I dont like drifting or powerslide,but the good thing I learn it with my Z since the handling is really not "On the rail" feels like the RX8.Shame that my RX8 is 6AT so cant do all the gearing that fast & really take a toll on furthering the cornering speed)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hey Tom,

Off topic. What the hell camera mount you used onboard?! The field angle stays LEVEL when the car pitch up or down over bump! How the hell?
edward, it's a TM700 mini camcorder on a Amazon.com: Wood's Powr-Grip LJ45PHC 4-1/2" Cleat Vacuum Mount: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419BME9MRWL.@@AMEPARAM@@419BME9MRWL with the camcorder upside down to accommodate space constraints. I think it's a good mount and much better than the manfrotto one i had. plus it's smaller and the suction hardly leaks.

as for the sensation it gave you, i think that's purely unintentional. Maybe it's the rubber suction cup giving way to the g's of something