Veedubs attack Sepang Go-Kart Circuit!

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

VWClubMalaysia, one the largest Volkswagen car clubs in Malaysia, headed out to Sepang last weekend for some frantic go-karting action. A fairly large number of cars showed up – over 25 cars; mostly Golfs in various ages and states of tune along with the odd Polo, Passat, Beetle and even a distant relative, an Audi S4. ‘(00) was invited along to participate in the race, and for this, Volkswagen Group Malaysia (VGM) graciously loaned us an ‘R’ car – the same Scirocco R we tested (and loved!) a little while back. Surprisingly, the Scirocco R received a fair amount of attention from the veedub fanatics - not sure if it was the car itself, or its wild shade of green.

For those uninitiated with go-karting at Sepang (I’m a first-timer myself), the race consisted of three rounds – Practice, Qualifying, and Race. Thirty six people signed up for the race, and as everyone wouldn’t be able to fit onto the miniature circuit, we had to be split into two groups of eighteen. Practice gave participants fifteen minutes to familiarize themselves with the circuit. Because not all karts were equal in power, the racers were assigned go-karts based on (I suspect) ability and weight for the Qualifying round; again, another fifteen minutes to get the fastest laps.

As we blitzed through the first two rounds, the clouds that initially threatened to pour gave way to some searing sunshine. It was obvious that the group consisted of a number of competitive drivers; especially so during the two separate Race rounds where there were plenty of thrilling overtaking (and go-kart bumping!) maneuvers. For many, you could see frustration etched into their faces as they mentally willed their karts to move faster. Yes, I was one such “victim”, watching helplessly as several drivers overtook me at the start of the race, even before the first corner.

The day drew to an end with many weary limbs and plenty of drama in the form of spin-offs, collisions, disintegrating tyres, and even a disengaging fuel tank. The winner for both races were determined by the fastest overall lap and competitive nature amongst the group meant lap times were compared, with six seconds separating top (quickest: sub-1:09) from bottom. Despite the rivalry, spirits amongst the members were high with plenty of laughs as they re-enacted some memorable moments. With the DSGs blaat-blaaating into the horizon, I overheard the guys from the club already discussing their next outing, and wanting to try the faster karts out.

To view/download all the pictures from this event in hi-res, click here.

About VW Club Malaysia:

Formed in June 2011, VCM is a club for all VW owners and is not related to Volkswagen Group Malaysia (VGM). It was started to spread the passion for Volkswagen and is built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Meet-ups: teh-tarik (TT), futsal, casual drives, and other miscellaneous activities are a frequent norm for these folks, and everyone – VW owners or otherwise, are welcome to join. You can check out their forums at VWClubMalaysia.com / VWClubMalaysia.net.

Attachments

Last edited:

spyderslr

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2004
Nice pics and nice write-up Won ! It was a great outing with the rest of veedubbers !

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The owner was so impressed with the results on the Golf that he opted for the Mercedes to be done as well. This is a 4 year old w212 that had went through much abuse, road side wash, petrol station polishes and the maximum of Malaysian environmental damages...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience