Photo Feature: THE 86 AND AE86: TWO HACHIROKUS, BOTH CLASSICS, ONE IN HD

d4rk

Known Member

d4rk

Known Member
Jul 26, 2010
Johor Bahru

So we have established that the new Toyota 86 inherits the vital DNAs from the old AE86, maintaining the important bits of a fun-to-drive, rear-wheel drive sports coupe. If anything, It had impressed us at ZTH as well as the respected pro drifter, Tengku Djan. These are contributing assurances that the 86 is here to stay and is on it's way to becoming the next big thing in the motorsports scene real soon.

And to have started off at such a position, it is best to pay the good ol’ Hachiroku a visit as a tribute to the great heritage it had passed on and to have made the Toyota 86 a car that is truly inspiring to drive. Lining them up side-by-side, we could see how the main characteristics of the AE86 were embedded into the spiritual successor.

Yes it is a far cry from the original box-cart AE86 where it suggests as if it was designed using only a pencil and a ruler. The new Toyota 86 however, embodies the external styling cues of today’s sporty coupes.

The 86 was not designed as a hardcore racer, nor a tame automobile for the daily commute. It somehow sits in the middle where it could pass as an urban GT cruiser and yet conquer the wild side with the twists and turns. The same applies for the AE86, only that the predecessor is much more discreet in hiding its potential to the onlookers.

If not for Keiichi Tsuchiya or Initial D, there is no doubt that only the enthusiasts will ever truly know the real potential of this small hatchback.

There is almost no evident clue or hint to tell that once you are up against this panda-themed machine at the curves, what you will mostly see are a set of tail lights disappearing behind the turn.

And like the 86’s 2.0-liter, 200 horsepower Boxer engine, the AE86’s 1.6-liter twin cam is just nice to have some fun in this 1200kg machine. Of course, a tad more power would be more than welcomed for when there's a special need. But for what's worth, the Toyota 86 is still the definitive, compact FR sports coupe for the purists.

Watch both the 86's perform this 22nd of July 2012 at the TIMETOATTACK!

Special thanks to Ah Lun of CraftMotorsport for loaning us his precious AE86!

Like Takumi, Ah Lun's AE86 now features the higher revvin, 4-throttle 20V 4AGE!

Attachments

et_box

500 RPM

et_box

500 RPM
Aug 27, 2006
Oh Ah Lun... How i envy you.... :adore:

TOMEI-R

500 RPM

TOMEI-R

500 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
IMHO the new FT86 have lost the "oomph" or touch or the APPEAL that the older AE86 has. To me its just another overpriced and 'nothing special' model Toyota has produced.

D7zul

2,000 RPM

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i hope toyota will have a new facelift for the new 86..

:biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
IMHO the new FT86 have lost the "oomph" or touch or the APPEAL that the older AE86 has. To me its just another overpriced and 'nothing special' model Toyota has produced.
its not overpriced if you're not in Malaysia. :smokin: as for special or not, I think you have to drive the car to judge.

Kia Koup, 2wd FF 2L car at 156bhp, that's what I would refer to as nothing special.

TOMEI-R

500 RPM

TOMEI-R

500 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
its not overpriced if you're not in Malaysia. :smokin: as for special or not, I think you have to drive the car to judge.

Kia Koup, 2wd FF 2L car at 156bhp, that's what I would refer to as nothing special.

Well... the last time I checked... we are STILL living in Malaysia.

2nd It doesnt have the the 'chic magnet' appeal with its looks unlike the Celica or Rx8s

3rd Its not a true blue performance car (Like the Type Rs or Evo or Scoobies)

4th Its not a Grand Tourer kind of car

5th Its not a family orientated car either....

So Now where does this car stand in?:hmmmm:

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Then don't bitch that its overpriced. All cars in Malaysia is overpriced. Proton is cheaper in Saudi than in Malaysia. Its overpriced not because of the car, that is because of the government. What's your point?

2nd It doesnt have the the 'chic magnet' appeal with its looks unlike the Celica or Rx8s
Are you a chick? Otherwise how would YOU know what has chic magnet appeal? Last I checked, my female friends don't know what appeal to them, that's why they spend 3 hours in the boutique and yet buy nothing cause they didn't find anything appealing (AFTER 3 HOURS WTF).

In what context? In the drifting arena this is a true blue performance car. The examples you named, well, can't drift, the latter 2 maybe with 2WD lockup.

You can't buy a real Grand Tourer for RM250k. If you are complaining 250K is overpriced, you can't afford Grand Tourers, pal.

Grand tourer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Examples of grand tourers
Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
Alfa Romeo Montreal
Aston Martin DB2
Aston Martin DB Mark III
Aston Martin DB4
Aston Martin DB5
BMW 8 Series
BMW 6 Series
Bugatti Veyron
Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Cadillac XLR
Citroën SM
Ferrari 575M
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
Nissan Leopard Coupe
Monteverdi High Speed
Peugeot 907 Concept
Porsche 928
Toyota Soarer
This contradicts with your point 4. A car cannot be a GT and a family orientated car at the same time. You seem to be just picking faults randomly.

Regardless if its a GT or not, it IS a COUPE. And COUPES are NOT family orientated car.

Anybody with half a brain can figure that out. It's a 2+2 rear wheel drive coupe. And its pretty unique as no other car sub 250k is a FR 2+2 coupe, and no other Japanese in that category either. The cheapest FR 2+2 coupe after the 86 is the BMW 320i starting at RM289k. The RX-8 is technically NOT a coupe since it does have 4 doors -- or if you like, they call it a 4 door coupe, the MX-5 don't qualify either since its a roofless or folding roof roadster.

katanakote123

katanakote123

May 10, 2012
Sabah
how ya guys gonna tune this car??since its a NA boxer ,if can put big trumpets more good..Turbocharge it may look like a subaru lol

redridinghood86

Known Member

redridinghood86

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I'm guessing that a true driver's car is never a car for you eh? I hate the price tag but I don't hate the car. :/ P.S. I'd pick this car over a GTI/Scirocco for its purist-ness

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, I know theres is alot cars on the road facing same problem, the fan belt / aircond belt is making noise.
Mine happends after my mech change my timing belt :mad: it is damn annoying, no matter the engine is on idle or revving, it still making noise.
I called up the mech, he says just spray some lubs on the pully of the belt well after spray it just last 1 day then it comes again...i check on the belt, well it seems abit loosen coz can see it is fluctuating in spinning motion.
So is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience