Natural Gas Vehicle NGV

andlfloh

Oct 16, 2006
A friend has fitted an NGV to his KIA for RM3600, and he expects the savings to payback in 12 months or so (savings of RM300 per month).

Any of you gents have any experience good or bad to share on using Natural Gas ?
Is it worth the bother of carrying a gas tank in your boot (and losing space for luggage)?

Why isn't NGV catching on? The majority users are the taxis,judging by their demand for gas at Petronas natural gas stations.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
IMHO only worth it for other public transport vehicles which get driven hundreds of kilometers everyday, that's why you see it's used on taxis. If for normal daily use of regular people, it will take very long just to break even. Moreover, the power is still not matching gasoline, plus the sacrifice of the trunk space. That's why it will never catch on.

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
no to forget, uprated springs and uprated brakes is important considering there's dead weight sitting at the rear of the vehicle at all times...
unless the user opt for carbon fiber cylinders which weights about 8kg each which comes at a hefty price tag ( and smaller volume :p )

CNG is good fuel, not really economical unless one travels a few hundred KMs a day :)

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i'm using NGV on my daily driving.. KE70

i don't mind the extra weight & loss of space.. plus the loss of power.. but power-wise.. i can switch to petrol anytime i like

this is bcoz i can travel 150km with RM9..

that's 6cents per kilometer.. even a hybrid can't beat that :biggrin:

plus it's environmentally friendly.. :biggrin:

humongousgravy

Known Member
Dec 9, 2010
Seremban
Exactly my sentiments D7zul. I have a bigger tank, so full tank cost about RM14, and usually it can last me up to 240km for city driving. And when I drive from Seremban up north, I can reach Ipoh before refilling! On the highway I think my best record is full tank close to 300km. So yeah even if you don't travel up to hundreds of kms a day it will still save you a lot of money in the long run.

The loss of power is unfortunate but I realised the engine revs better with natural gas. Maybe it because of the timing, using petrol my Iswara can only rev to 4000 plus before the engine starts choking and the revs don't go up anymore. But with NGV I can reach the redline, even though it produces a very unpleasant revving sound.

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
dear D7zul, is ur KE70 is fully loaded mods? just wondering.. huhu

humongousgravy, i talked to a few taxi drivers, n what i found out is that they always switch to petrol mode whenever they r driving in the city. They only switch to CNG when they r driving on hi-ways when a substantial amount of air comes into the engine bay. This is a way to prolong engine longevity due to the very hi temperature of CNG that often crack engine head.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
dear D7zul, is ur KE70 is fully loaded mods? just wondering.. huhu

humongousgravy, i talked to a few taxi drivers, n what i found out is that they always switch to petrol mode whenever they r driving in the city. They only switch to CNG when they r driving on hi-ways when a substantial amount of air comes into the engine bay. This is a way to prolong engine longevity due to the very hi temperature of CNG that often crack engine head.
my KE70 is stock standard engine with 4G15 carburetor..

the longevity of an engine depends on the make & model too..

don't get me started with campro engine :wink:

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
my KE70 is stock standard engine with 4G15 carburetor..

the longevity of an engine depends on the make & model too..

don't get me started with campro engine :wink:
i was hoping u wud say u hv a heavy mod black top under ur ke70.. n yet still hv NGV.. wud love to see one..:driver:

yeah.. plus make and model too..

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i was hoping u wud say u hv a heavy mod black top under ur ke70.. n yet still hv NGV.. wud love to see one..:driver:

yeah.. plus make and model too..

i heard there's a track car.. Kancil Turbo with 100% NGV setup.. very powerful

coz NGV is rated RON 130.. yes.. it's 130.. no typo..

but u have to take off the petrol tank to utilize the full potential of NGV :wink:

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
i heard there's a track car.. Kancil Turbo with 100% NGV setup.. very powerful

coz NGV is rated RON 130.. yes.. it's 130.. no typo..

but u have to take off the petrol tank to utilize the full potential of NGV :wink:
really?? wonder what ecu management that kancil turbo use....

cheng_Y

Aug 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, I'm Edvine Here...

Advantage:driver:
- You can save 60% of your money using gas.
- Ozone freindly / Less poluted
- 150km for RM9 for normal drive
- For highway RM9 can reached Tapah, Perak. Ex:From Cheras Leisure mall to Tapah reststop,Perak.

Disadvantage:banghead:
- Need to Q up for refueling.
- Carry out more weight & less space.
- More maintenance job, Ex: Spark plug need change always, top overhauling, mixer service & maintenance.
- Service center. Ex:Proton center won't repair or service Proton car fitted with NGV.Many reason one of the most recently they use is "Kereta you dah pasang NGV, kalau ada engine llight on. Computer tak boleh check."
- Second hand car value drop. (Seldom ppl want NGV car).

Remark : If you drive over 5000km per month, you can consider NGV. If not, just forget it.

Above just for your reference. Many thanks.

NGV - Safe money, envilroment friendly

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
really?? wonder what ecu management that kancil turbo use....
i believe it's a standalone..

i haven't seen it but the people who install it is behind court mammoth sec26, s.alam..

same people who install my NGV :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Hi, I'm Edvine Here...

Advantage:driver:
- You can save 60% of your money using gas.
- Ozone freindly / Less poluted
- 150km for RM9 for normal drive
- For highway RM9 can reached Tapah, Perak. Ex:From Cheras Leisure mall to Tapah reststop,Perak.

Disadvantage:banghead:
- Need to Q up for refueling. the longest que i had is 2 car in front
- Carry out more weight & less space. u gain some, u loose some
- More maintenance job, Ex: Spark plug need change always, top overhauling, mixer service & maintenance. depends on what engine. carb engine is better
- Service center. Ex:Proton center won't repair or service Proton car fitted with NGV.Many reason one of the most recently they use is "Kereta you dah pasang NGV, kalau ada engine llight on. Computer tak boleh check."proton biasa la :biggrin:
- Second hand car value drop. (Seldom ppl want NGV car). only put NGV to a car if u wanna use it forever :biggrin:

Remark : If you drive over 5000km per month, you can consider NGV. If not, just forget it.lesser also can :biggrin:

Above just for your reference. Many thanks.

NGV - Safe money, envilroment friendly

my opinion in red :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

Can someone list down the steps that I need to take when I wash and polish my car.
I got my new car last week and i noticed that there are some swirl marks as well as a hazy patch on the bonnet.

I was advised to polish the car, but I dont know if i should take it to a car detailing outfit or should i do it my self. $$ constraints :)

So, if i decide to DIY..can someone recomend me the products as well as the techniques that needs to be used.

Really appreciate the help. Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience