OCT setup on 4AGE 20V

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
As salam and good day to all...

I just want to share my opinion on this, I think most of the 20V setup for OCT (Oil Catch Tank) were wrong...correct me if i'm wrong and feel free to comment...

As shown in the picture below, normally this is what I saw on most of the cars :

as you can see they only filter out the cold air taken from the air intake, as shown by the green arrow. The hot air from the head, as shown with red arrow, still being sucked into the TB (throttle body) ...

What's the point of filtering it out ? Yes sometimes you saw, some oil manage to get in the air intake rubber hose...this is mostly due to your engine starting to loose compression and piston rings are starting to age,or perhaps dirty TB...

I believe the correct setup is like this !

As you can see the hot air, as shown with red arrow, has been filtered out only then , with atmosphere pressure, the filter air is sucked again by the OCT, as shown with green arrow .

Soo please do the right thing...
Feel free to comments...

Cheers ! :driver:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
ermm...interesting...but i can't see whether there is a tube connecting from pcv valve to TB on the second pic...is it ok to leave it open like that...??

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Close it with rubber stopper...
That's where the air suction to TB happened...

Plus the OCT need the re-breather like in the picture, to compensate if there's any extra air need during high revving...

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
My opinion is oil catch tank is not a function of temperature, it;s meant to trap oil due to worn piston rings or lose compression like you said earlier. It keeps the oil from entering the throttle body and combustion chamber, which may affect the engine performance in the long run.
I think it's not meant for cooling down air and circulate it back into the throttle body..Hence the term 'oil catch' is to catch escaping oils..

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Sorry if i get a bit out of topic, I noticed the upper 3 point Ultra Racing Strut bar fits with the BT engine.. I've heard people saying that the strut bar will be blocked by the big BT intake manifold. Has the one in the pic been modified?

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
As salam and good day to all...

I just want to share my opinion on this, I think most of the 20V setup for OCT (Oil Catch Tank) were wrong...correct me if i'm wrong and feel free to comment...

As shown in the picture below, normally this is what I saw on most of the cars :

as you can see they only filter out the cold air taken from the air intake, as shown by the green arrow. The hot air from the head, as shown with red arrow, still being sucked into the TB (throttle body) ...

What's the point of filtering it out ? Yes sometimes you saw, some oil manage to get in the air intake rubber hose...this is mostly due to your engine starting to loose compression and piston rings are starting to age,or perhaps dirty TB...

I believe the correct setup is like this !

As you can see the hot air, as shown with red arrow, has been filtered out only then , with atmosphere pressure, the filter air is sucked again by the OCT, as shown with green arrow .

Soo please do the right thing...
Feel free to comments...

Cheers ! :driver:
bro,
according about ur photo, just need to know the connection at 4 throttle body will be connect to where? (sorry, my english is bad, pls refer to photo in round on green colour)

Attachments

Last edited:

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
tonyops - thanks for you reply. Yes OCT used to trap oil...I didn't mentioned it was used for cooling down air...

I just wondered, because the air suction is the strongest on the PCV valve section...
plus there's a small amount of release pressure from the side valve which connects to the air intake hose...

soo...by putting the side valve filter into OCT then leaving the one at the PCV valve as standard...i think, it still sucks in the warm air with oil into the TB...

soo that's why I mentioned, in my opinion the best option is the 2nd option...
what do you think ?

The UR Bar, I saw once used on Corolla, it was freaking close to the plenum, if you have a worn out engine mounting, i'm sure it will hit the bar...but nevertheless I never used it...can't say much... :D

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

feipepe - I believe from the PCV (1) into the OCT in (2) then...from the side valve (3) into the OCT out (4) ...

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Bro chin, PCV valve is for aspiration air from intake or dispense air from head cover?

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Previously, I was using similar setup as in the second picture, but the open breather releases too much toxic gas at the engine bay which somehow enters into my cabin. After long distance driving or even driving to work every morning, my shirt will smell like vaporized engine oil and sometimes even cause my throat to feel dry. So I think its a health hazard for my case.

Also, I believe that the stock PVC valve actually releases the blow by gas into the intake port, which is after the throttle body butterflies.

Best setup I think would be to have two OCT instead of using one OCT and releasing it into atmosphere. Just my 2cents...

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
The breather port near the distributor allow the engine to release the blow-by gas at low RPM.
At high RPM, when the blow-by gas pressure increase to a certain level, the PCV valve will open to allow a secondary breathing path for the engine.
Releasing the blow-by gas to the atmosphere, as you know, is not environmental friendly. This will actually increase your FC a little bit...
IMO, best set up would be using 2 OCT (and flow back the blow-by gas to the manifol).

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam

when i 1st bought my car, i see oil on both the red & green arrow (refer pic above)

that car was really in a bad shape.. that's why i come & save it :biggrin:

so, i think better put OCT on those 2 hoses..

and direct the hose to the original place..

i didn't agree with the setup in pic below..

because excess pressure exit from the engine head (red arrow) and go in to the engine head (green arrow)

it should exit from the engine head & go in to the intake manifold to burn excess flammable gas

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
bro levin,
as what u r said above, the most effectively way to tap the oil gas from engine chassis combine photo option 1 and option 2 as what master chinoze proposed right?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
bro levin,
as what u r said above, the most effectively way to tap the oil gas from engine chassis combine photo option 1 and option 2 as what master chinoze proposed right?
Follow option 1, then add another OCT in between the PVC and Throttle Body.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

My OCT setup is as picture shown below....any comments from Sifuuussss...correct me if i did wrong :-)

From the engine head PVC valve to OCT in and from OCT out to throttle body....
Since you miss out the Option 1 setup, your 4 butterflies will get dirty by the blow-by gas that purge out from the breather port near the distributor.

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
pcmoddingmy - Yes that's true...the toxic gas will be release if using the breather ...
normally this will happened if there's a open holes near the firewall or
there's some a modification needed to close the A/C setup from getting air from outside...well that's another topic...
what I'll normally to is, put a long hose down to the engine bay, normally near the steering rack...this will release the foul smell downwards...

levin818 - Yes ! That's the best answer...nice...one for each...this remind me of the issue ppl using motorcycle oil filter to be the OCT...which is clearly not good...

well if we talk about environmental friendly...how many of modded car uses cat convertor... ? :D

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
So far I've been using 2 fuel filters (like below) as levin818 mentioned for the longest time without any issues on both carb and injection set ups. I change them every 2 oil change or if I see it filled with oil or dirt. Would it be alright to use them?

The only one that will fill with oil is the one with the PVC valve hose. As for the breather port near the distributor, the filter would only have residue.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my pomen said that if i use battery water in ur radiator is more better using water+coolant..is it true??anyone else using battery water??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience