The issue on HICAS

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Nope you won't have issue with the steering getting heavy or the power steering pump unless you're not using a HICAS boss kit with an aftermarket steering. Just plug the power steering hoses going to the rear.

If the power steering pump fails, you can always opt to use a S13 steering rack with a SR20 power steering pump, which is rather easy to source.

ahle@

1,000 RPM
Jan 13, 2004
malaysia
Erm.. What has rear subframe got to do with power steering?

IMHO just put in HICAS cancel bar lor..
i not sure,cause i got some info online once remove hicas with change sub frame to non Hicas version,have to do something for the power steering pump,the one hose to rear HICAS steering...?...:)

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Nope you won't have issue with the steering getting heavy or the power steering pump unless you're not using a HICAS boss kit with an aftermarket steering. Just plug the power steering hoses going to the rear.

If the power steering pump fails, you can always opt to use a S13 steering rack with a SR20 power steering pump, which is rather easy to source.
thanks for the info bro..btw....

s13 power steering can use on R34 GTT?....i check the R34 steering have 1 socket....but R33/32 no socket....

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
If yours is a R34GTT, then it has nothing to do with the power steering pump. R34 runs on electronic HICAS, not hydraulic. If you change the subframe and unplug the HICAS socket, you need to cancel the HICAS electronically using a TOMEI Hicas Canceller Kit, else you will have ECU fault codes.

ahle@

1,000 RPM
Jan 13, 2004
malaysia
ic...can i still drive my car without TOMEI Hicas Canceller Kit after i change the rear sub frame?ECU fault codes any affect to the car?

yes mine is GTT....

owtaman

Known Member
Oct 9, 2008
If yours is a R34GTT, then it has nothing to do with the power steering pump. R34 runs on electronic HICAS, not hydraulic. If you change the subframe and unplug the HICAS socket, you need to cancel the HICAS electronically using a TOMEI Hicas Canceller Kit, else you will have ECU fault codes.
In addition to the above, does it also makes the power steering assistance always run at the high speed mode(similar to using a Non-HICAS boss kit) ? Unless we installed a TOMEI HICAS Canceller Kit ? My ride is a ECR33 S2.

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Nope don't think the steering will run on 'high-speed mode' (ie. heavy) unless you use a non-HICAS boss kit. You can experiment by unplugging the HICAS socket from the HICAS rack and pull the HICAS fuse, see how it goes.

ahle@

1,000 RPM
Jan 13, 2004
malaysia
thanks for info mr Nismo....

will change the rear sub-frame soon and try it out :)

cynicks

Known Member
Feb 29, 2004
PJ
I just found this out that day, when I asked the mech to check on the HICAS pump. Its electronic. My HICAS still comes out now and then on high speed. I.E above 120. So, how to eliminate this error eh ?

angelz88

Jan 25, 2009
Kota Kinabalu
Hey guys, I've just bought my dream car (BNR34) last week and it is in mint condition with no major mod to stock condition. and to relate my reply with this topic, ive found out 2 problems that i hope to get answers from all the skyline otai/sifu/guru.

1) My MFD screen is red-orangey colored and i cant read anything from the drivers side while it can still be readable from the passenger side. and im sure all i need to do is change the lcd screen, right?

2) My HICAS light is on as soon as i turn the ignition key and follows by relay clicking sound at the right side of the rear boot which drains my battery and dimmed my cabins light. Hence, i did my research online and gt info about High Pressure Accumulator being low in charge/pressure. have anyone encountered HICAS problem as such before?

Your help is highy appreciated guys and thank you for your time to heed my problem.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Hey guys, I've just bought my dream car (BNR34) last week and it is in mint condition with no major mod to stock condition. and to relate my reply with this topic, ive found out 2 problems that i hope to get answers from all the skyline otai/sifu/guru.

1) My MFD screen is red-orangey colored and i cant read anything from the drivers side while it can still be readable from the passenger side. and im sure all i need to do is change the lcd screen, right?

2) My HICAS light is on as soon as i turn the ignition key and follows by relay clicking sound at the right side of the rear boot which drains my battery and dimmed my cabins light. Hence, i did my research online and gt info about High Pressure Accumulator being low in charge/pressure. have anyone encountered HICAS problem as such before?

Your help is highy appreciated guys and thank you for your time to heed my problem.
hey...are you the guy at Tom's just now?

1.the screen is tapao...need to replace
2.for HICAS, best is to diagnose 1st to rectify the actual problem that causing it...

Last edited:

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
angelz88, I have the MFD LCD screen in stock. Will PM you. Thanks.

angelz88

Jan 25, 2009
Kota Kinabalu
hey...are you the guy at Tom's just now?

1.the screen is tapao...need to replace
2.for HICAS, best is to diagnose 1st to rectify the actual problem that causing it...
Yeah.. Thats me. Nice to meet you btw.

1) yup. Thought so too. gotta change the whole lcd but if im not mistaken, i have to determine the lcd that i need right? from what i knw, there are SHARP LCD for BNR34 prior to year 2000 model and TOSHIBA LCD for year 2000 onwards model.

2) yup, I really dont want to remove it and fix it as it is. so yea.. from what i read in other GTRs' forums, it seems that the accumulator has run out of nitrogen. Its either recharge it or replace it.

Hope some GTR sifu can clarify these to me :confused::confused::confused:

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
Congrats to you and welcome to skyline club!

1. Sharp or Toshiba. Give your chassis no i can trace for you. I do have Sharp screen in stock.

2. I`m not sure who able to refill it~ but replace might possible. Then you have to wait long time for
it since it`s illegal to courier it through air (compressed air).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After the successful Leg 1 of the Shell Helix Invasion Tour 2011 to Johor Bahru last week on the 3rd and 4th Dec, the supercars will be heading to Penang this weekend! Mark your calendar free on the 10th and 11th Dec as the Shell Helix Invasion Tour Leg 2 is going to bring you a number of exciting events.

On the eve of the drive, drivers will have their briefing at Flo, Equatorial, Kuala Lumpur. The...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience