Mixing RON95 with RON97

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
often time , I got saga, myvi coming in telling me 95 is no good to their car, but i will refill the tank again and prove them wrong... Q: why they hear knocking when they pump RON95
Ofter found issue is the petrol station they use. Their petrol is contaminated. 2 out of 10 petrol station in Malaysia got into severe gasoline contaminated issue, Cause no 1: flood Cause no 2: manmade

often time you will see petrol station close down for weeks or days, because the reservoir need to be empty and to clean it, to seal up the cracks.

by all means... when you pump the fuel, think do you really need it?

Ah hah! This is a very very good point. Petrol stations with new reservoir tanks have the best fuel because they have the least amount of contamination! Very very true. Petrol stations are required by the company to change their tanks every x number of years (if not mistaken it's 10) and it's not compulsory. For those who haven't bothered tend to have years built up rust, water contamination, methane contamination, etc.

For those who complain about their cars having issues with RON95, I suggest you go find another station and try their 95. The fresher and newer the fuel and/or the petrol station, the better it is for your car

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
yep, got that one checked. im using haltech sport. only my foreman/tuner insisted me to tune using 97, and some tuners say 10-10.5 still ok. confused... :( but if hv the choice, i wud prefer 95. any suggestions? or just suck it up n listen to my tuner..? huhu

Bumping up your compression ratio by that much, you definitely need to use RON97 + some tuning or even aftermarket ECU I think. You need to ask the sifus...

samuelschick

From Facebook
Sep 1, 2010
Subang Jaya
www.facebook.com
my Swift Sport stock CR is 11.1:0 but still runs ok with RON 95. there's a slight ping once awhile but nothing serious. as many Swift Sport owners also use RON 95. so i don't see any problem with it.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
my Swift Sport stock CR is 11.1:0 but still runs ok with RON 95. there's a slight ping once awhile but nothing serious. as many Swift Sport owners also use RON 95. so i don't see any problem with it.
Personal opinion :

That's risking unecessary pre-detonation / pinging on your car. I don't know what sort of damage might occur because of this but I don't think it's a great idea to use 95 on a car that's supposed to have higher octane.

It's kinda like the Civic Type-R fellas using 95, it's risky business since compression is so high you risk pre-detonation = major loss of power and possible some piston crown damage? I dunno.

Unless you reset your ignition timing to be less agressive, then perhaps it'll work better?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If not mistaken, swift sport's spec requires RON98...cant even get in M'sia :banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yup, by right it requires RON 98 for optimum performance (written at the fuel cap) same goes to Type R i think but what to do best we can get here is only V-Power Racing. :banghead:
Erm.. technically if you're talking about RON, then any station that has 97 is the best we have available. VPower racing is still RON97 with shitloads of additives. If you really want more go to Sunway and look for racing fuel. RON100++ :biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm...pump RON97 and add those octane additives...but duno will result in wat RON...RON rojak....btw RON97 increase RM0.10...

peterfrancis

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
Actually the V-Power racing (last two years anyway dunno anymore if it's true) was the same exact formula that was sold in AU and SG as v-power RON 99 or 101 or something similar. Just marketed here as RON97. Of course as time goes by they find cheaper ways to do business. Last tiem was cheaper to use the same fuel rather than create a new formula, now may be that they have foudn a cheaper way to produce a new formula? Hard to tell unless you're in the business.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually the V-Power racing (last two years anyway dunno anymore if it's true) was the same exact formula that was sold in AU and SG as v-power RON 99 or 101 or something similar. Just marketed here as RON97. Of course as time goes by they find cheaper ways to do business. Last tiem was cheaper to use the same fuel rather than create a new formula, now may be that they have foudn a cheaper way to produce a new formula? Hard to tell unless you're in the business.
Er... no that's not true. Look at the Shell website and they say that Vpower Racing in M'sia is RON97. It's only during the 1st month or so when it was first introduced they brought in the super premium RON99 or something. Not too sure on the original formula.

How do I know? I work for a competitor :biggrin:

peterfrancis

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
Good point - but I'm sure of my facts. I used to work for them. Was cheaper and easier to use the same formula rather than create a new mix for it. But like I said I've left for over 2 years so not sure if that still holds true :-P

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well, in that case your word is the from the mouth of the horse so I guess your info would be more accurate with regards to pre-2 years ago. However it's been RON97 for quite some time now.

Why leave? Multinational should be treating you well dude

civicskunk2

Aug 13, 2008
LOL.. Theoretically it should be. But why? Just use RON 97 if yours is high performance engine. Even with RON 97 in our country, I don't think it is enough for high performance engine. A lot of jap high revving engines are tuned with RON 98 or RON 99. So even RON 97 is not enough to unleash the full power. Let alone RON 96. Fk the gomen.
ron95 really pain in the ass...for old cars...coz cars 15-20 years back enter malaysia car makers knowing that we use ron97...so this suddenly ron95 emerges and all news cars come in malaysia are tune to ron95...thats great!!!! but how bout old cars?????not fair right?????

car need to retune and it will take a lot of time, money and effort to ensure car can drink ron95...

if mix it will not do any good.tried once and it indeed give some power but after that when fuel is nearly empty the car feels so slow and so unresponsive...so is that ok????you feel that power not always after you start the engine...2nd time you start sometime you dont feel that power. so you giving a hard time to ECU car. so now I don't mix fuel. I use BHpetrol all the way....its the best in Malaysia for high compression cars. for turbo cars with low compression(vw,mercedes,peugeot) i think BHpetrol won't give that power like NA. Turbo cars with high compression like EVO and Subaru need BHpetrol....i think.(never tried coz i don't have these car).just my opinion.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guy...taken pic wit my hanfon on my engine bay...hope tis will help on those who wan2 diy n cut down cost 2 mod their baby...

1.get CAI hose from our mister stanley aka ninja_iga
2.take out the fuse box...
3.jack up ur car...(4 easy installation)
4.remove the plastic..(mudguard?daun pisang?)
5.remove the U-Hose from the daun pisang area....
6..connect the 3" CAI hose to the fog lamp....
7.4 the heat shiel...just go 2 a hardware shop n get alluminium
8.make the heat shiel round....coz i...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience