Need answers for my 97 satria gl 1.6 manual

quickshift9

Feb 11, 2012
Newcastle, NSW
I really wana know what sort of modifications i am able to do to my september 1997 Proton satria GL 1.6litre 5sp manual?
I also wana know what sort of things i can get to upgrade engine, performance, and satbility.

intervener

Oct 18, 2008
Beside the money issue the most important consideration is how long you wish to keep yours Satria.

My opinion is you can choose bet 4G92 (Mivec), 4G93 (DOHC) or 4G93T (GSR).

:wavey:

quickshift9

Feb 11, 2012
Newcastle, NSW
Well as for the money part at the moment my weekly income pays my bills and my satria is unregistered, so im really just taking my time especialy since i dont really know anything about cars.

Does anyone know whether or not i can get a lift kit for the satria?

intervener

Oct 18, 2008
Lift kit? You mean that the lift kit on your front bonnet (2 pieces - like mini absorber) or the 2 long pieces at the rear bonnet.

For front bonnet lift kit you can get it from Brother Accessories in Kelana Jaya as for the rear lift kit then you must get it from Spare Part Shop.

:biggrin:

quickshift9

Feb 11, 2012
Newcastle, NSW
No guys i want to raise how high my car sits bcoz i have a cannon exhaust on and every bump or corner it scrapes also i want to put bigger wheels on it so i want the body to sit higher then it is.

JEBON

500 RPM
May 4, 2005
Is ur satria 97 is unregistered as u mentioned? Proton old stock ka?

If considering 'unregistered', assuming it is quite new or unused so I think u just take care of de engine

to make it healthy cos I think 1.6 manual is kind of good n powerful engine cos I had

use it before. :itsme:

Use branded Fully sintetik engine oil all n gear box oil all de time. Service 5000km or lesser. :rofl:

If u have done those things n still have deep pocket, changing de engine to mivec, 4G9(dohc or turbo)r

is de best, fastest, easy n economical in long term. :smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't think you want a "lift kit". It's either you wan air suspension which is highly impractical or you can opt for hi/lo adjustable suspension and make your car higher.

Since your car is unreg, it probably means your car can't go on the road which means you can't go to a mechanic. So unless you're DIY-ing these mods, the only thing a 'newbie' can do alone is change the air filter and spark plugs.

quickshift9

Feb 11, 2012
Newcastle, NSW
For your information IZSO i may be a newbie but iv been able to pull my engine and engine bay apart and clean it all thanks also theres a couple of rust spots iv cleaned up and repaired so not all newbies are hopeless im teaching myself so i dont have to rely on a mechanic but thanks for the advice.
Does hi/lo adjustable suspension do anything to the stability or change the way the car turns or anything?
I live in Australia so i cant exactly go down to Kelana Jaya n buy parts.
Just so everyone knnows my satria is a 97 GL all stock and no power options (no power steering or anything like that).
Thanks for your advice everyone..

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Also my car is unregistered though its completly ready for rego no problems stopping it except money situation that is why im taking the time to teach myself where everything is how it all works and how to fix it.
Its not new or unused either im not sure how many owners its had but it looks fine apart from the bodgy paint job the previous owner did lol they coverd the windows and painted the car with a can of spray paint so im slowly stripping it all back to begin priming and repainting..

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
the hi/lo adjustable suspension will change the ride height and lower the gravity of your car. It will improve your straight speed and cornering stability.
But make sure absorber/spring is not too stiff/firm for everyday drive. It will make your car bouncing and difficult to control on uneven/bumpy road.

quickshift9

Feb 11, 2012
Newcastle, NSW
Thanks camshaft very helpfull.
I am trying to upload pictures of my progress with the car so if anyone wants to have a look go for it and please dont be afraid to comment on what you think.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
For your information IZSO i may be a newbie but iv been able to pull my engine and engine bay apart and clean it all thanks also theres a couple of rust spots iv cleaned up and repaired so not all newbies are hopeless im teaching myself so i dont have to rely on a mechanic but thanks for the advice.
Does hi/lo adjustable suspension do anything to the stability or change the way the car turns or anything?
I live in Australia so i cant exactly go down to Kelana Jaya n buy parts.
Just so everyone knnows my satria is a 97 GL all stock and no power options (no power steering or anything like that).
Thanks for your advice everyone..

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Also my car is unregistered though its completly ready for rego no problems stopping it except money situation that is why im taking the time to teach myself where everything is how it all works and how to fix it.
Its not new or unused either im not sure how many owners its had but it looks fine apart from the bodgy paint job the previous owner did lol they coverd the windows and painted the car with a can of spray paint so im slowly stripping it all back to begin priming and repainting..
As a general rule don't uppercase anything unless you want to give the impression of 'shouting'. So I'd prefer you didn't uppercase my nick, prevent miscommunication yes?

And it's good to know you're not a newbie. Have seen too many "I got a car. How to modify????" threads lately and most have no budget or are too newbie. So let's talk mods! Since you're in Australia, you probably would have access to fantastic metal shops so I'd recommend oversized forged high compression pistons (about 1.5mm larger) and matching slightly longer conrods! (about 2mm longer) As what they say in Aust, "there's not replacement for displacement!"

Since you're in Aust, you probably won't have easy access to a different crank shaft to aide the stroking process. A skimmed head to increase compression and upgrade to 210cc injectors, install a AFPR and that should do the trick for the hardcore DIY for now.

If you have the tools, I'd recommend to get a spare head and do your own PNP and benchflow / sonic flow test it.

Regarding the adjustable suspension, camshaft has pretty much said it all.

quickshift9

Feb 11, 2012
Newcastle, NSW
Yes it was misscomunication i just wanted to make sure u seen who i was talking too.
As for the newbie part there are things iv heard of and know and there are things iv never heard of such as u said pistons,conrods, injectors, AFPR, PNP and benchflow/ sonic flow test i have know idea about.
Like i said i havnt got much experience(barely any basically a newbie) and im teaching myself what things are where they go, what they do and what i can do to inprove it.
Also as for going to mechanics or buying parts i have no income at the moment and am broke as a joke so im taking my time.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes it was misscomunication i just wanted to make sure u seen who i was talking too.
As for the newbie part there are things iv heard of and know and there are things iv never heard of such as u said pistons,conrods, injectors, AFPR, PNP and benchflow/ sonic flow test i have know idea about.
Like i said i havnt got much experience(barely any basically a newbie) and im teaching myself what things are where they go, what they do and what i can do to inprove it.
Also as for going to mechanics or buying parts i have no income at the moment and am broke as a joke so im taking my time.
Well, in that case do you have grinders, air-powered tools at home? You can try porting and polishing as a start.

AFPR = adjustable fuel pressure regulator
PNP = port and polish

I think if you can find yourself a teflon sheet and know how to take out your intake manifold, you can start by cutting out your own intake manifold gasket. Simple modification to keep the manifold temperature down.