E10 SST in Equine

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
Hi,

My friend told me there's one E10 SST (red) with some problem with the gearbox at Equine workshop.Is the owner here? Mind sharing what's wrong with the gearbox since im also using SST, and i heard lots of terrible stories bout the gearbox.

thanks

viosqtd8820

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
sorry to interrupt but i really love SST gear box... is there any possible to transplant to n ordinary lancer GT ? n cause how much ? :D was planning my future mod ..

thanks

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
to be honest, i dont it will fit without modification. And i would say manual transmission is better than SST. So many unseen and seen problem already with the gearbox because of the new technology and the first time used in mitsubishi cars. There are clutch packs available for the gearbox, but till now i haven't know any workshop yet in malaysia that willing to open up the gearbox. To replace it in a whole, yes..but it cost Rm30K++ brand new and good luck looking for halfcut gearboxes.

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
im not so sure, but my friend told me that it still has stock Enkei rims.
Gold TE37 i think is Stephen's, unless there's another red E10 with gold TE37.

radhie

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
sorry to interrupt,i think i saw the red e10 yesterday,in front of tyre shop somewhere in equine,but im not sure whether that is the car..and i saw a matte dark grey e10 at equine,damn nice!:adore:

Johnny_Tan

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
www.facebook.com
Hi,

My friend told me there's one E10 SST (red) with some problem with the gearbox at Equine workshop.Is the owner here? Mind sharing what's wrong with the gearbox since im also using SST, and i heard lots of terrible stories bout the gearbox.

thanks
Hi Pengyu., just a small info which i knew is the SST gearbox is easily overheat & once its overheat & the car will stalk via ECU & need to wait till its cool then only can start back.. So some frens of mine advise is to add on Gearbox cooler.. :biggrin::itsme:

teo1957

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
to be honest, i dont it will fit without modification. And i would say manual transmission is better than SST. So many unseen and seen problem already with the gearbox because of the new technology and the first time used in mitsubishi cars. There are clutch packs available for the gearbox, but till now i haven't know any workshop yet in malaysia that willing to open up the gearbox. To replace it in a whole, yes..but it cost Rm30K++ brand new and good luck looking for halfcut gearboxes.
I think not only SST in Mitsubishi, but thread for DSG in Volkswagen also no short:

Volkswagen Club Malaysia, VW Golf GTi, TSi, Polo, Passat, EOS, Scirocco, Tiguan, Touareg, Golf R, Scirocco R

BTW, how much are the clutch packs priced in Malaysia? How long can they last: 5 years?

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
sorry to interrupt,i think i saw the red e10 yesterday,in front of tyre shop somewhere in equine,but im not sure whether that is the car..and i saw a matte dark grey e10 at equine,damn nice!:adore:
yes, thats the red e10 i was talking about..
and the matte grey one is mine..hehehe..but drove by my wife at the moment..:biggrin::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Hi Pengyu., just a small info which i knew is the SST gearbox is easily overheat & once its overheat & the car will stalk via ECU & need to wait till its cool then only can start back.. So some frens of mine advise is to add on Gearbox cooler.. :biggrin::itsme:
it has a gearbox cooler already, its just that its not sufficient enough for very hard driving. Happened to me after two laps in sepang and then the 'slow down' message came out. When that message came out,ECU will cut the power off, and u wont be able to rev above 3000rpm.

The cheaper solution was found that a fan bolted to the OEM gearbox cooler will help. Andreas did it to his car and so far no problem. I'm going to fit it to mine as well soon. And then i will try again in Sepang to see if it will come out again.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

I think not only SST in Mitsubishi, but thread for DSG in Volkswagen also no short:

Volkswagen Club Malaysia, VW Golf GTi, TSi, Polo, Passat, EOS, Scirocco, Tiguan, Touareg, Golf R, Scirocco R

BTW, how much are the clutch packs priced in Malaysia? How long can they last: 5 years?
there're few E10 with SST gearbox with more than 100,000km mileage and no problem with the clutch slipping yet. It depends on how you drive and how many launches u make.

The aftermarket clutch packs will allow you to go for higher HP/TQ, but i guess the standard clutch packs is good enough for normal driving (i.e not racing).

All dual-clutch transmission has problem,i.e DCT,SST,DSG,PDK in various cars. But now, there're few solutions or upgrades to all these transmission already. For SST, there're few from SSP,HKS,Blitz etc..but its still expensive and not bullet-proof as per normal manual tranny.

syong888

Known Member
Dec 15, 2008
SST has no issue on street, if on track....one of the solutions...

Fully tested on tracks by numerous rides :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Bro, you can engage them for installation:

SSP Performance - MR SST Transmission....

They are or were in Malaysia/ Singapore for a few installations.

I am interested initially, after discussed with some buddies who has done it, decided to defer....

Local agent also being appointed recently, question is whether you are willing to try...

Btw, new SST gearbox cost more than RM40k...

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Hi,

thanks
If the gearbox fail, normally caused by either the SST sensor or pump...

Last edited:

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
SST has no issue on street, if on track....one of the solutions...

Fully tested on tracks by numerous rides :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Bro, you can engage them for installation:

SSP Performance - MR SST Transmission....

They are or were in Malaysia/ Singapore for a few installations.

I am interested initially, after discussed with some buddies who has done it, decided to defer....

Local agent also being appointed recently, question is whether you are willing to try...

Btw, new SST gearbox cost more than RM40k...

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

If the gearbox fail, normally caused by either the SST sensor or pump...
I was looking at AMS cooler as well.It is cheaper than HKS alternative, but I dont any difference in AMS cooler compared to another generic oil cooler except for maybe mounts. I guess in malaysia we can custom made the mounts and use other reputable generic oil cooler. I will look into it for sure soon since i've been having problems on overheating but only on track. On the streets,even with spirited driving, it wont be as hard as on track,so no overheating problem.

So,whats your verdict on the SSP clutch packs? What's your alternative for the clutch packs? I know it will last for maybe 100k km at least,maybe more..but what happen when it comes to time to change it? What's the review from the owner that have done it?

From what i read,mainly the problem with SST is the TCU, not the actual gearbox itself.But you cant just replace the TCU by itself.Correct me if im wrong.

I havent had any problems yet so far with SST except the overheating problem, but that one is easily fixed. Other than normal jerkiness of dual clutch gearbox in town, it's been a very good gearbox.

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
there's a service center in kepong that can do sst oil change. Other members done it and i've done it as well. Its a bit expensive for the 1st time since u have to buy two of 4 liters SST oil since it needs around 4.5 liters.But you can save the other half for 2nd oil change. It costs around RM1600 with the filter.

i've changed mine once and im going for the 2nd change soon. Its recommended by the sst owners that u change it every 30-40k km to be safe. My first change was on 10k km, and now im doing another at 40k km. So far my gearbox is OK except for the overheating at the track which is normal.

I havent launch it at all, and i dont think i will ever...