engine oil problem

ianbr26

Jun 19, 2011
JB
recently i find that my engine oil level differs. i dont know if it is normal or there is a problem. when the engine is cold, i check the dipstick and the oil level is enough. when i warm up the engine even for 2 minutes, the oil level is not enough. is this normal? i am quite worried about this. please advice. thanks.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
This is not a problem at all lah bro. When the engine is cold, oil flows to the bottom of the engine. When the engine is run, oil will be all over the place inside the engine. Of course the oil volume in the oil sump won't be the same because some of it is still sticking on piston wall, crankshaft etc. It will take some time before all of it flows back into the oil sump, as simple as that.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
This is not a problem at all lah bro. When the engine is cold, oil flows to the bottom of the engine. When the engine is run, oil will be all over the place inside the engine. Of course the oil volume in the oil sump won't be the same because some of it is still sticking on piston wall, crankshaft etc. It will take some time before all of it flows back into the oil sump, as simple as that.
perfect answer :adore:

ianbr26

Jun 19, 2011
JB
so i hv ntg to worry about? when the engine is warmed up, its below the second line in the dipstick. when cold, its above the second line. its quite a lot of difference. does it mean that I don't have enough oil to move around when the engine is running?

Lean

UnderCoverProject Founder
Oct 30, 2006
KL
undercoverproject.blogspot.com
You don't have to worry much. It's the mechanical nature of the Engine. The mechanical parts needs the engine oil to lubricate to avoid frictions agains both the metals parts. Just my 2cents.

ianbr26

Jun 19, 2011
JB
thanks a lot. i m asking becuz i will be travelling long distance the next few days. worried.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
so i hv ntg to worry about? when the engine is warmed up, its below the second line in the dipstick. when cold, its above the second line. its quite a lot of difference. does it mean that I don't have enough oil to move around when the engine is running?
Nothing to worry about. As I explained before, oil level is below the second line dipstick because some of it is still on the the engine parts, meaning it's doing its job of protecting the engine.

Lean

UnderCoverProject Founder
Oct 30, 2006
KL
undercoverproject.blogspot.com
Nothing to worry about. As I explained before, oil level is below the second line dipstick because some of it is still on the the engine parts, meaning it's doing its job of protecting the engine.
Couldn't agree more

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yup no problem at all...perfectly normal.

once you start the car, the oil is pumped all thw way up to your cylinder head. so even if you start for a while...a lot of oil is sitting up there. it will take sometime for it to drip down to the oil sump for you to get a proper reading.

so its best to check when the engine is cold/havent been started in a couple of hours...and also not parked on a hill or incline or jacked at the front/back.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
so its best to check when the engine is cold/havent been started in a couple of hours...and also not parked on a hill or incline or jacked at the front/back.
as mentioned above bro

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
issue solved....great.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
bro ianbr26, u r referring to your b20 right? I think its normal for it to be like that. Mine also like that. But only for my B20 old A16. My Kancil not like that. Whether hot or cold, oil level almost the same.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi :)

Just wanted to know if any Swift owners hav had the same prob and how to get it fixed?
Send the car to service centre n they said the "resistance" is high, prob is with airbag's ecu...
And to change that, cost RM2320 for a piece of airbag ecu :banghead:

Anyone sifus can gimme some advice ere? Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience