Alternative A/C Compressor for 20v svt..

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
In 3 years I've changed 3 A/C Compressors..I was getting fed up. So I decided to switch to "Malaysian" compressor. That means, it's either on of off without sensor (a/c and econ buttons won't work anymore). Can't use the temp slide buttons also. Would have to add a separate hi/lo switch to control temp..It'll be exactly like a Proton..

Was not happy abt it but what to do? Our compressor heavy like batu..running rotary type..the "newest" one also 1999 from halfcut (if you're lucky but most engines are older). Brand new one, checked with Win Hing, RM1.6-2k and a deposit of RM500 to order. Stock will come in abt 1 months time.

So was in a dilemma...ask around high and low, nobody seem to know and said must use back ori compressor..I don't believe it so do more research. Finally, my mech said that instead of rotary, let's try piston type compressor..So we did and wallah!!

Toyota Altis compressors are piston driven (last longer apparently) and can fit with minor mod.
1) Welding one additional hole to fit the lower leg (near the extractor)
2) Plumbing rerouting a bit
3) Use smaller belt

So far using it it's ok..A/C and Econ no prob..but i noticed that the idle when Econ a little low..so i'll update when i have the time to check why..

I'm not sure which model is this from. Can someone take a few pics of an Altis both 1.6 and 1.8 (1ZZ-FE) to see which engine is it from? The fellows very smart..they torn out the labels..

Bottom Shot

Last edited:

linkeong

Known Member
May 8, 2008
Who is your mechanic? Can give me details? And how much the total cost? My compressor is also gone

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
It's been 3 yrs!! A/C still cold with out any problems. So it was worth it rather then changing to AE101 compressor every Chinese New Year. :biggrin: I'm glad with the decision I made.

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
Bro,pm 2 me too the detail location n bengkel name also the cost. Because my compressor also gone.
Need it urgent too

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
feipepe: I can show you where the shop is below but apparently the son told me he dowan to do anymore. So I'd suggest you buy your own compressor and ask a mech to mod it. I think it's from an Altis.
Sunway Pyramid Shopping Mall to Jalan PJS 7/20 - Google Maps

20V Trumpeteer: Gas all the same. Just switching from rotary to piston and minor welding at the alluminium pipe and the bottom bracket as pics shown. Some ppl say piston cannot tahan high rev. well, I'd rather pay to have a 3-5 yrs old compressor which is piston then a 10-15yrs old rotary compressor. So far this piston type have served me well for the past 3yrs. Just remember to push ur A/C button off when your high revving. It was a habit of mine to do it anyway and I did it to the rotary but still every year change one comp..didn't see the purpose of that.

Good luck!

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
I think the 20v was designed to use rotary a/c compressor due to the fact that rotary a/c will eat up less hp compared to piston type.
1ZZ compressor sound like good idea, but i think even 4AFE from AE111 will work on 20v as well.

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
Agreed. It was the same for my past proton cars that came with piston. I honestly didn't feel much difference in terms of "power" nor fuel consumption after the change unless I off the a/c. Besides, how much "power" do I need with the a/c on? I've always had the habit of turning the a/c off if I'm gonna rev the engine for years so it wasn't my concern.

I guess you could use the others but I was thinking of something newer and easier to get. :-)

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
olskool, what i meant was rotary type AC doesnt eat up as much hp from the engine compared to piston type AC. of coz for high rev its better to turn of the AC.

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
Wokeh! I'm just happy it lasted more then a year plus...:biggrin:

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Honda vtec oso used denso piston type....and vtec engine rev all oso know la,even no mod ecu....hemmm,why must turn off acc when hi rev?:confused:....if i'm not wrong,i think all 90's car got rpm cut for acc..control by ecu if i'm not mistake....normaly acc cut by...what they call that thing ya..somthing like ameture/temp switch at condensor..right? mazda use externer cut off rpm for acc..that i always use it for vtec engine...cant selec rpm to cut the acc comp...

GSRTurbo

500 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
any body know where to get 86 a/c compressor, searching for it. or need to mod diff type of compressor in.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

So, it has been a pretty fantastic 2011 for me. As some of you might know, I first bought my DSLR end of Dec 2010, and started taking random pictures of cars along the streets of Kuala Lumpur. Over the course of an entire year, many things happened for me...

It is incredibly difficult to express how I feel in words, so instead, I have decided to come up...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience