Monthly expenses for an Evo ride

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
kampoon,

Can use ron95 for stock (CT9A)?
I tried & knocking occur... using tools to check.
Mine is just super stock... Drive also slow2...
Unless re-tune then different story I assume...

If can use RON95... already super "jimat"...

Last edited:

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
I'm using ron95 + Lucas octane booster... One bottle of octane booster for 2 full tank...
Basically save rm15-20/tank... Better than nth... N from wat I feel, car feels much better wif ron95 + octane booster compared to ron97...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
kampoon,

Can use ron95 for stock (CT9A)?
I tried & knocking occur... using tools to check.
Mine is just super stock... Drive also slow2...
Unless re-tune then different story I assume...

If can use RON95... already super "jimat"...
can use RON95 also if stock
Evo should be able to run on RON95. In Indonesia the highest RON on sale is just 94-95 and yet over there many high performance cars including Evos are running around fine. The US is even worse, only RON92 is widely available, and there are even more supercars there. It should be about retuning it to be able to consume lower RON fuel. It wouldn't make as much power but it should still be able to run fine.

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Some said that the RON reading in U.S are not the same as in Malaysia... They are using other measurement (which I also not sure what its called).. Normally, RON reading in U.S are lower by around 4-5 points compare with RON reading in our country, e.g.: U.S. RON 92 are equivalent with Malaysia RON 97...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Some said that the RON reading in U.S are not the same as in Malaysia... They are using other measurement (which I also not sure what its called).. Normally, RON reading in U.S are lower by around 4-5 points compare with RON reading in our country, e.g.: U.S. RON 92 are equivalent with Malaysia RON 97...
aggreeeddd bro...that's what i heard from the other's also reg our RON 97..
Hmm maybe can have a slight difference but I actually doubt to be as big of a difference. As far as I know most car power specs in the US are also quoted to be a bit lower than say in Japan or Europe. For example, Evo VIII when it was released in the US is only rated at 270ps which I'd think must be due to the lower RON available there.
Even so, I'm 1000% sure that the RON in Indonesia is not better than in Malaysia, and over there only max RON94-95 available, and yet still quite a number of high performance cars running around fine there.
So I'm still quite sure that Evos can run on RON95 provided they're tuned accordingly.

spek_nates

Known Member
Jul 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
emm..i tried twice using this RON95 but for my experience although mine is standard stock still can feel that the engine sound like a little bit rough + jurking n last but not least the power also reduce..mybe this "sebu2" things happen becoz of the sensor..juz my "2 kupang" only ..hehehe..
so maybe other's otai here have their own opinion..

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
tried Ron95 but knocking on stock evo7 engine....so best is using ron97 but it still depends on which brand of gas u using...to me, Shell & Esso can feel the difference..

R11

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
does the stock ecu having the factory knock mapping? so that it will automatically retard the timing when knocking occurs?

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
US use different way to rate octane
US=RON + MON/2 which is lower rating than RON which also factor in the fuel resistance to knock
While in Malaysia we use RON system which don't factor in the fuel resistance to knock
And there are no straight conversion for both(RON to RON + MON/2 as they are rated differently)

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
to be honest, u saying that there's no straight conversion yet u just put it that US=RON + MON/2

pls dun quote other google results if u dun even understand what it meant.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
OK I'll try to explain just based on what I've read, US octane rating is AKI (Anti Knock Index) which is = (RON+MON)/2, meaning AKI is average/middle value between RON & MON
MON is Motor Octane Number which an octane rating using tougher measurement than RON so MON number is much lower than RON. The difference between MON & RON is not always straight relationship (can be between 8-10), so consequently the relationship between RON & AKI also cannot be straight.
So a few posts just above said that the octane rating in US is about 4-5 points lower than RON is apparently correct since they are using AKI. US AKI rating of 91-92 can be equal to RON 95-97 here.

spek_nates

Known Member
Jul 28, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
wow..very good explaination of detail reg. our RON bro guest..thanx 4 the info.:biggrin:
4 me to make my head less headache juz use our RON 97..maybe bcoz mine still stock standard n fuel consumption also not so "teruk" so "layankan..:..:biggrin:

chong82

Known Member
Jul 21, 2005
subang jaya
how much does a new radiator, hoses,disc brake and gearbox servicing cost?
Want to set a budget to change all the vital 'organs' after getting 1.
Evo 8 will be my 'cup of tea'. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dear sifu,

i would like to swap engine 4g92 dohc with ngv.

how much the price and what thing do o need to take care.

thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience