r3's Top 10 of 2011

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

So, it has been a pretty fantastic 2011 for me. As some of you might know, I first bought my DSLR end of Dec 2010, and started taking random pictures of cars along the streets of Kuala Lumpur. Over the course of an entire year, many things happened for me...

It is incredibly difficult to express how I feel in words, so instead, I have decided to come up with a compilation of my Top 10 pictures in 2011. It wasn't easy coming up with a Top 10 list. There were many fantastic moments with some pictures that I personally liked very much and wanted to include. There was just not enough space! As an example; the recent Zerotohundred x Shell Helix 2011 Invasion Tour to Johor and Penang; I wanted to include the matte Smurf Blue Audi R8 by Exotic Mods, and the stunning Porsche 997 GT2RS, but did not...

Ultimately, it wasn't just the quality of shot that I considered, but also the moment it created for me. All the Top 10 pictures represent milestones and turning points in my life, and I thought I would share these moments with you.

I am still learning, still developing in my pictures and articles and am still making mistakes in the process. I promise to improve, and appreciate all the support I've received so far. This is my bid adieu to 2011, and I look forward to a bigger, better 2012 on Zerotohundred ;)

To view my Top 10 on Facebook, click here.

#10 Mercedes SLS AMG:

Right - so those are indeed Christmas decorations, and some of you might be able to recognize this picture. I'll admit - technically, this isn't a picture from 2011; it was shot on 19th December 2010, about a week after I'd bought my DSLR and remains to date, one of my favourite pictures. That night was the first time I started my 'supercar hunt' along the streets of KL, as well as my first time seeing an SLS in the flesh.

#9 458 Challenge @ Sepang:

Another milestone for myself; I was invited as a media participant for the Ferrari 458 Challenge at Sepang. My camera gear is pretty basic; just a 17-50mm lens, so it was difficult for me to capture the action on track. So instead, I focused on the car park area, at the wide array of Ferraris present. In my opinion, one of my best ever combo shots!

#8 Bugatti Veyron:

Another incredibly rare machine in Malaysia, I read online that someone saw a blue/white Veyron somewhere on the roads in KL. I immediately had a hunch that it would be around so at 2AM, I headed out to Prince hotel and saw this parked there. In all honesty, this was possibly the last time I actually went out 'hunting'.

#7 Ferrari F50:

Another great struck off my 'spot list'; this was perhaps one of the rarer cars I've been able to run into in 2011. I had an incredibly long week, and the morning after was the Blue Jackets Charity Event at Solaris Dutamas... but when I caught word that the F50 was out on the streets in KL, I had to go and see it for myself.

#6 Volkswagen R @ Oschersleben:

Admittedly not the best picture, but one of the finest moments I'll remember for a very long time. My first international trip as a fresh motoring journalist; we were flown to the heart of VW in Wolfsburg, Germany. One of the items on the agenda was to drive the Scirocco and Golf R on track. It was cold, wet, icy, and foggy - but I loved it! I wasn't driving at this particular moment, of course. Instead, I was riding shotgun in a Mk6 Golf R, piloted by one of the Scirocco R Cup drivers, also a development engineer in the R division.

#5 Ferrari 599 GTO:

A turning point for me; this was the first time I actually stepped into Naza Italia. I was asked to come along and take some pictures of the first 599 GTO that arrived in Malaysia, and I remember being very excited! It was also the first time I got into a Ferrari Enzo. I must admit, this really helped to pave the way for my future photoshoots.

#4 Gemballa Mirage GT:

Just look at those Gundam exhaust tips! Another memorable moment for me. I've seen pictures of this Gemballa on the internet several times, and I never had the opportunity to ever see it in the flesh... until one random evening, I saw a glint of gunmetal grey, and knew it was something special. I shot this picture with my 550D and uploaded this to Instagram and loved the editing effect very much.

#3 Ferrari California:

My second photoshoot; one that I enjoyed very thoroughly. This one was more elaborate, and more thought out. I scoped some venues out beforehand but this warehouse was a spur of the moment decision. The picture of this California wedged between a row of black Proton Inspiras was also taken on the same day, and I had a tough time deciding which was the better between the two! And yes; first time I'd ever driven a Ferrari!

#2 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560:

They say you never forget your first... and that's the reason why this LP560 is here in my list of Top 10. This was the first-ever photoshoot I managed to arrange, and if I am to be honest, this was the first supercar I've ever driven. On a technical side, it was the first (and only!) time I ever took a picture while standing on a chair, and was the first time I used a flash. Even then, that flash was on loan from a friend.

#1 Lamborghini Murcielago SuperVeloce LP670:

Easily my #1 picture of 2011. I travelled down south to Johor with the Blue Jackets on a Shell Helix 2011 Invasion Tour, and this SuperVeloce was a surprise turn-out. I contemplated including a picture of the matte Smurf Blue Audi R8 by Exotic Mods, but a Top 10 doesn't allow me to pick everything I want!

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dude, for someone with a "basic camera" and with "noobie skills", you make other cameramen look bad! Awesome pics for a "noobie"! :biggrin:

eujin

1,000 RPM
Jul 10, 2005
wajaland
awesome...too bad ipoh dun have much super car to hunt...:sleep:

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, thanks for all the positive words of support! I'm glad you like the pictures :)

To be completely honest, my camera and gear is pretty basic... I use the same equipment as anType, and he churns out much better results than myself! Still, this is definitely a learning process, so I'm looking to improve in many areas for 2012 :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys...anyone of you know where I can get some bumper diffusers made.
Promote has them for their Putra / Wira. What about universal ones or custom ones.

I know Dai Ichi and Grandpire may have ...but anywehere else?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience