Why are second hand cars in Malaysia so expensive?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Well, although a lot among us wish Proton to be killed to death, it does not simply mean shutting down the Proton plants and let loose thousands of Proton workers demonstrating on the street.

It means shutting down Proton vendors also and I think I've mentioned this before somewhere: Teck See, APM, Hicom, Autoliv Hirotako, Tracoma, UMW, PATCO... that's tens of thousands of Proton vendor workers plus hundreds of thousands of their family members losing their source of living.

It is going to be a catastrophic disaster economically, socially and politically to any parties willing to do it. A lose lose situation.

IMHO Proton is somewhat similar to Korea carmakers in that they've failed to come up with exciting models. I look at a Hyundai Coupe and it's a hit or miss design until now. I look at Kia Forte Koup and it looks good but the puny engine won't be able to carry the model out of the sentiment against Korea cars.

Luckily for Korea manufacturers, their people are virtually pointed with guns from the North so there's a sense of togetherness still. Take out the threat from the North and you'll have Malaysia where togetherness does not exist.
I think you misunderstood me. I don't wish for Proton to be killed. By removing the protection mechanism such as AP (and profiteering that comes with it). Guns will be pointed at Proton to either improve or perish. Similar to the pressure on South Korea. Proton is too comfortable as it is because its protected, and when one is too comfortable, they tend to be lazy and will never improve enough to be competitive.. and they will be just a "me-too" player.

If they don't make it they deserve to die.

Anyway that's deviating from the topic on why second hand cars are expensive.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
its getting cheaper and cheaper from what i notice..now u can own a decent sedan car for merely rm5k...of cos more than 10 years old but in good working condition....

teo1957

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
its getting cheaper and cheaper from what i notice..now u can own a decent sedan car for merely rm5k...of cos more than 10 years old but in good working condition....
Year 1999 imported sedan (Korean) for RM6,500. Cheap.

http://www.mudah.my/Kia+Sephia-12244998.htm

---------- Post added 12-22-2011 at 12:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 12-21-2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

I think you misunderstood me. I don't wish for Proton to be killed. By removing the protection mechanism such as AP (and profiteering that comes with it). Guns will be pointed at Proton to either improve or perish. Similar to the pressure on South Korea. Proton is too comfortable as it is because its protected, and when one is too comfortable, they tend to be lazy and will never improve enough to be competitive.. and they will be just a "me-too" player.

If they don't make it they deserve to die.

Anyway that's deviating from the topic on why second hand cars are expensive.
Probably if we were looking for a way out, it'll be by way of a very gradual and very slow death where all the workers can ease their way out and find opportunities elsewhere.

And after the death, many will look at all the former buildings of automotive manufacturing plants in Shah Alam and wonder "what could have been?".

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
cheap car price will lead to more cars on the road, raise of national fuel demand and more money flow out from the country.

more car on the road:
- Worst traffic jam.
- Parking place become less.
- Increase of accident rate indirectly cause of car insurance price raise.
- More pollution, especially those who not qualify to own a car afford to buy a car.
- Further impact on public transport system.
- New car loan will forced to be at BLR or more (used to be 7% in 1996 and 10% in 1998-1999)
- and plenty more.

Raise of fuel demand:
- Fuel price will be raise. Current mid-low income car owners will suffer 1st.
- Tax on fuel will be implement in a short future.
- Indirectly cause inflation.
- Indirectly increase crime rate.
- and many more.

More money flow out from the country:
- Drop of RM will lead to inflation, including car price raise.
- Indirectly effect local economy's eco system. Short term economy fluctuation will cause long term effect on personnel life and some industries.
- unpredictable chain effects, including unstable political condition.

Many may under estimate the impact of butterfly effect. Don't say remove tax or AP, even discount 15% tax, it will straight away bring up the pressure and normally when you feel it, it is always too late.

Want a car, work harder for it. Not saying that only save money for down payment, but more to establish your own selves to be able to own a car in reality. Big chunk of the pie chart showing that people still cannot afford a decent set of tires. When talk about environmental and safety, it is just like blowing water during TT. Please don't say car price drop and people will have extra money to maintain their car. 999 out of 1000 will change to a more expensive car or buying more car accessories in stead of use a better set of brake pads. Brand new imports will still remain with halfcut donuts. Many parents will buy cars for their children to go to school and school sport field + road side outside the fence will eventually become car park. This is the reality in Malaysia. You can bring all good example from overseas or even proven recipe from somewhere else but normally sht back to the square when wake up next morning. Just like why those recycle rubbish bin set barely works after more than 2 decades of implementation. If Madam Wong wanna add something to the Truely Malaysia tourism advertisement, she can consider this scenario. If JPJ and Puspakom launch operation at each highway entry during festival holidays, I'm sure toll cumpanies will complaint a lot.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,

just wanted to see if anyone has used the evo1/2/3 oem absorbers + springs before? im looking to convert my wira GSR back to "comfortable-like-stock standard" cos ive got a baby on the way...been using adjustables for many yrs, and its time to change...

so i've asked around, and got mixed opinions, which got me all confused...i wanna go back to the stock standard comfort level, dont bother about performance anymore...so obviously oem is the way to go...question is, which oem...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience