DC5 Headlight restoration

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
Hello everyone. Just thought of sharing my headlight restoration work with you guys. Inspired to share by our brother Veloc who did the restoration on his future father-in-law's ride hehe.

Enough with the talking and on to the show :)
Over the weekend i got a call from a friend who needed help in clearing up his headlights. So i packed my stuff and headed over to see the condition that is was in. This was how it looked like when i arrived. As mentioned by the others, these JDM and UDM headlights are not able to endure our harsh weather conditions. And this was no walk in the park. The once clear headlights had turned yellow and cloudy.

Upon closer inspection, one side of the headlights had been opened before and perhaps the previous owner had coated the inner side of the lamp.

There were many micro-cracks on the lamp. Couldn't capture those with my camera. I didn't manage to take photos at each stage of the fix as i was pressed for time. I initially started wetsanding with the 800 grit sandpaper but noticed that it wasnt removing enough of the old yellowish plastic. So i moved to the 600 grit and it was much much better. Be careful not to get carried away in sanding too much than what is needed. So i moved up from 600 > 800 > 1000 > 1500 > 2000. After all that, let the compounding begin!

remember before?

After

Passenger side before:

After

One more from the front before:

After

Finished up with a round of M205 and OPC to remove any polish residue. The final step was applying the Opti-Coat 2.0.

From this:

To this :)

The tools used:
- Washed with ONR
- Clayed with ONR as the lube
- Wet sanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit with ONR as lube
- Compound with Megs M105 with LC purple wool pad
- Polished and finished with Megs M205 with LC white polishing pad
- Washed/Rinsed with OPC
- Coated with Opti-Coat 2.0

Thanks for looking! Special thanks to KC, Seech and muyo too for their pointers and guidance :)

Attachments

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Hello everyone. Just thought of sharing my headlight restoration work with you guys. Inspired to share by our brother Veloc who did the restoration on his future father-in-law's ride hehe.

Thanks for looking! Special thanks to KC, Seech and muyo too for their pointers and guidance :)
CONGRATS BUDDY
you make it & needn;t to thank us

its your passion who led your there

now lets look for a jumbo jet to detail
:listen:

Cheerio

I am glad u pushes yr limit & Proud of your achievement

keep them coming

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Nice job bro!!! The OC2 should provide a permanent barrier to prevent the headlights from fading again.

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
CONGRATS BUDDY
you make it & needn;t to thank us

its your passion who led your there

now lets look for a jumbo jet to detail
:listen:

Cheerio

I am glad u pushes yr limit & Proud of your achievement

keep them coming

Thanks for your words of encouragement KC! haha count me in on the jumbo jet detailing session :D

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Nice job bro!!! The OC2 should provide a permanent barrier to prevent the headlights from fading again.
Thanks Seech! yeah, took your advice and that's why i picked up the OC2 from you that night :)

nocturnal

Jun 3, 2008
totally agree with KC2..." its ur passion that lead you there"..good job btw dude...

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
wow is that ur car!?

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
ya meh!! who is it!!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Wow very nice work on a very nice car man! And it's so nice so have it opti-coated after the restoration. I myself haven't got that yet... Keep it up!

By the way, have we met? Are you from one of KC's detailing clinic as well?

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
i assume this detailer must be eric :biggrin: btw, two thumbs up for the restoration!
Haha bingo! You guessed right bro! Thanks btw!

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

totally agree with KC2..." its ur passion that lead you there"..good job btw dude...
Thanks very much for the compliments :)

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
wow eric good job yo! keep the post coming!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HAi All V-tech Lovers.....
My ek 2 door in black colour plate no....WHS8033 Was stolen last sunday in taman desa,kl
the car is with15'' white p1 rim,the back bonnet wiper taken out but still got motor attacht...
both 2 side door n front bonnet got sticker kesan tat cant remove.........hope u guys if c the car can give me a call @ 012-3888406.....

AND TO THOSE ASSHOLE THAT DID IT........C THE NEWS SUNDAY....JANGAN KENA END UP KENA TEMBAK SAMPAI MATI!!!
AND HOPE THE MONEY FROM U SELL...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience