Product review : Old vs New - Osram Night Breaker Plus Halogen Bulbs

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I've never been fond of using sub-standard products in all my cars. Nothing but the best for my preciousssss - everything from the Piaa silicon wipers right down to the titanium bolt, nothing but the best!

The same goes for light bulbs. I've used a lot of bulbs in the last 8 years of owning my cars and I've concluded that if it looks good (like the time I used green halogen bulbs) then it won't last (died in 4 months). If it lasts, it won't be bright. If it's bright and lasting, it wouldn't be cheap. That's until I came across Osrams original Nightbreaker. It was relatively cheap to buy (barely touched RM120 back then) and lasts pretty much forever. In fact my current Nightbreakers are going 3 years strong and still haven't dimmed or lost it's shine.

When I was handed these new Nightbreakers (Osrams Nightbreaker plus) to be reviewed, I knew I had to give it something worthwhile to fight against.... the bigger brother, its predecessor - the original Osram Nightbreaker.

Comparing the two bulbs side by side, it's obvious the older bulb was bigger and was slightly brownish, perhaps due to the 3 years of abuse in my Myvi. The Nightbreaker plus had a bluish tinge and the bulb itself is considerably smaller.

Now Osram claims the following :
Probably the brightest halogen light in the world - now with new technology for extra lifetime.

NIGHT BREAKER PLUS product family
  • shine up to 90% more light on the street*
  • have an up to 35 m longer beam*
  • put out up to 10% whiter light*
*compared with standard lamps
Since this will not be a standard lamp/bulb I'll be comparing with, I won't take the claims too seriously.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a decent place to setup my rig to test the lightbulbs distance without having some traffic honk me for blocking traffic. So I did this highly unscientific test at home and along the streets of my neighborhood.

First up, the original big brother :

It's obvious it's bright, probably in the 4000k range and generally it won't get you in trouble driving along a pitch dark road such as Genting Sempah. I didn't manage to get any decent shots of its range but a guestimate would be about 2 cars length (Wira length) was how far I could shine these lights on low beam. High beam was phenomenal, it pissed off 2 cats and a neighbour who was just turning into the same street in his old junk. Easily 4 to 5 blocks distance clarity.

Next up, the challenger.

Yes - the picture appears to have a bluish tinge. But I assure you the picture was not edited (neither was the earlier one) other than size. The Nightbreaker plus was very obviously whiter in colour. I'd say somewhere between 4200k to almost 4500k range. Range was approximately 2 wiras as well but everything was whiter and clearer. Almost sharper even, perhaps because of the white tinge. High beam pissed off the same neighbour who later asked me what I was doing shining into his house, the thing was - I wasn't! Bright as a white Christmas in a yellow light. Very impressive!

Conclusion?

The extra white tinge to the Nightbreaker plus seems to make everything sharper, so much so the colours pop out compared to the original Nightbreaker which essentially made everything beige or yellowish white.

Worth the upgrade? I'm not sure. Both bulbs work extremely well and in all seriousness I don't think I need the extra contrast to be driving safely on the road. However I'm an avid follower of the 'Ghost Stories & True Experiences' thread, wouldn't hurt to be able to see a clearer picture of the 'person' dressed in white standing by the side of the road, on a completely empty... dark... road.

:biggrin:
<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=9 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1></TD><TD id=td_threadtitle_301713 class=alt1 title="">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attachments

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
does its perform well in a rainy day especially at night?
I'll have to find out and let you know. I only just changed the bulbs today and it's not raining. Hopefully it isn't like HID in the rain....

MiNiFans

Known Member
Aug 3, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Well well well....I just changed last 2 weeks so far haven't go out any rainy day at night in 2 weeks time...overall bright and clear.As for the lifespan,if you really look properly you can see the sticker which paste on the cover shows that lifespan shorter...I was wondering is this true? hopefully not =)

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Iszo, great write up. Is it necessary to adjust the headlamp angle with different bulbs or color temperature used? I find people using white bulbs especially closer to 5000k to glaring to my liking. Prefer yellow.

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm interested with these bulbs especially I travel quite extensively for most of the time..

However I would like to know if I can just plug them straight into my Persona or are there any changes necessary??

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

I'm interested with these bulbs especially I travel quite extensively for most of the time..

However I would like to know if I can just plug them straight into my Persona or are there any changes necessary??

ae92 corolla

Known Member
Aug 22, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi bro im interested in the bulbs as i always travel late at night....im using conventional bulb... Today while i were travelling from Bukit Beruntung to Damansara, barely can see anything as the rain was heavy... may tinking of changing the bulb to Osram Nightbreaker...PM how much will it cost and where to buy frim....tq

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi Iszo, great write up. Is it necessary to adjust the headlamp angle with different bulbs or color temperature used? I find people using white bulbs especially closer to 5000k to glaring to my liking. Prefer yellow.
I think my initial measuring of the bulb was a little off. It's more like 4200k to 4500k. Strange, now when I use it, it's not as white as it was when I first plugged it in. I didn't adjust the angle since it's still the original same angle, 2/3 Wira's length. It's not as glaring as white, but it's a pretty bright yellow.

Hi bro im interested in the bulbs as i always travel late at night....im using conventional bulb... Today while i were travelling from Bukit Beruntung to Damansara, barely can see anything as the rain was heavy... may tinking of changing the bulb to Osram Nightbreaker...PM how much will it cost and where to buy frim....tq
Honestly - I've only ever seen Nightbreakers at accessory shops. This Nightbreaker plus was passed to me by Tom so have to wait for the big kahuna to come in to give advice. And the Osram website is pretty useless since it doesn't say anything about where to buy its products. But you might want to try looking in Eneos. They have a wide variety of brands.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
does it has H3 bulb for the new one?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I want to put some 25mm wheel spacers on my car. I just know that I could run into issues with rubbing the wheel well. I would like to eventually BONOS kit. I'm guessing this will cause problems if I put in wheel spacers. I currently have the stock 17'' wheels from Honda as well. Is it possible to run a wider tire with spacers? So many factors. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this? Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience