Basic camshaft installation guide

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro.. How much and from where did you get your camshafts?

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
Izso, (i hope i spell ur name right this time), u hv made ZtH not boring with all ur interesting write ups. Ppl hungry with this kinda knowledge nowadays. Not to become mechanic and destroy all workshop incomes but to hv knowledge of it. At least u understand what those foremen do with ur car in workshop.

@Tom, this guy is good.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How do u know if its not 'knocking'?..and to compensate for the bigger overlap may have to advance(earlier) ignition timing.

I am not criticising any of your stuff;please dont get me wrong-I would like to see you optimise your cam with and without fuel changes.I dont know the answer; I dont play the 4g15.Just call it points to ponder.
Regarding the Octane comment earlier, well... I guess it's a matter of how you look at it. You've got a pretty solid point there too but I'm inclined to think the exhaust gases + air + stock fuel (RON97) is in some way related to the compression & early detonation. But hey, everyone's just guessing and until I have a proper way to test this out, we could both be right! :biggrin:

As for knocking, in my case I use the least unscientific way to test this - butt dyno! :biggrin: Hopefully I'll be able to afford a wideband sensor by year end then I'll know for certain. But it was very obviously knocking when I advanced my ignition timing too much. Erm.. lack of power, clacking noise, juddering as I accelerated, etc.

No worries on the criticising. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm very appreciative that you're bringing your knowledge here to discuss. I'm always open to more learnings! Judging from your nick, you're probably driving a way more advanced Altezza vs my 4G15. Yes?

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Bro.. How much and from where did you get your camshafts?
I got my camshaft from EA Autoworks, specifically khguan. Try PM-ing him or Drexchan. Cam Pulley same place.

Izso, (i hope i spell ur name right this time), u hv made ZtH not boring with all ur interesting write ups. Ppl hungry with this kinda knowledge nowadays. Not to become mechanic and destroy all workshop incomes but to hv knowledge of it. At least u understand what those foremen do with ur car in workshop.

@Tom, this guy is good.
Wah... this is very high praise. I thank you fellow zth-ian. :biggrin:

reuben88

Mar 24, 2005
Setapak
Hi Izso, why is your valve color silver instead of black in a 4G15?
Anyways.. how does it compare with powerzone or matspeed cams?
Good luck in your tuning bro!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi Izso, why is your valve color silver instead of black in a 4G15?
Anyways.. how does it compare with powerzone or matspeed cams?
Good luck in your tuning bro!
I've never played with PZ or MatSpd cams. Those are regrinded cams. I suspect the clearance is not going to be as 'cantik' as billet which is what I opted for since regrinded essentially is just the stock cam reprofiled. Personally, I'm a bit of a bitch when it comes to modding - I not a huge fan of modding something stock into something else because you'll never achieve what a completely redesigned component can do even though price is probably a lot cheaper. Eg - Modding non-fitting brake caliper with an extra bracket to fit another car. You can do these things but I just don't feel right with such a mod.

Keyword for the above statement : Personally. :biggrin:

This is probably why I never have enough money to mod cuz I'm always doing something overly expensive. Ack

I'm not a believer of camshaft too myself until I watched this...

Anyway, thanks for the informative write-up.
HAHAHA! I like Megan Fox's camshaft theory too! :biggrin:

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Megan Fox + Camshafts = Double Orgasm..

hahahahahaha :evil:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro Izso,

What are the benefits of regrind over billet? Anything dangerous using regrind? Like will it break anything?

reuben88

Mar 24, 2005
Setapak
Hi Izso.. thanks for the quick reply
If so, why are PZ or MatSpd cams more expensive than the 'billet' piper cams?
Hmm.. just wondering. Aren't billet cams suppose to be more expensive than regrinded or forged cams?

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
to me if you are on a low budget matspeed cams are good they been here since batu 3 time... i been using them since ages from 272. 288. 306 cams... no issue........

wld

500 RPM
Aug 13, 2007
nice info u get there izso.. :)

just got 1 question,if using 288 deg,aircon can still working?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro Izso,

What are the benefits of regrind over billet? Anything dangerous using regrind? Like will it break anything?
Nah. Nothing will break and it's not dangerous.

Hi Izso.. thanks for the quick reply
If so, why are PZ or MatSpd cams more expensive than the 'billet' piper cams?
Hmm.. just wondering. Aren't billet cams suppose to be more expensive than regrinded or forged cams?
I think you're paying for the research work and the fact that PZ and Matspd cams both are proven on track and drag races. It's like paying more for something that's proven and reputable. Nothing wrong with that imho.

nice info u get there izso.. :)

just got 1 question,if using 288 deg,aircon can still working?
Er... what has the aircon any relation to cams? The only way I see your aircon failing is if the idling is not constant. I don't know if 288 degree intake cams need management or not, but I suspect it might be borderline 'no-need'. If your idling is erratic, then you'll need management to control it and your aircon won't be affected.

wld

500 RPM
Aug 13, 2007
hehe sory my english is bad..i mean "288 deg,idling akan kacau aircon tak"..
oo that mean if using 288deg,idling is not constant but still tak kacau aircon rite?

by the way,thanx for the xplanation.. :)

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Correction on some of the points and opinions here:

Octane number: Yes the chemical octane rating as in Researched Octane Number or RON of the fuel doesn't change. But we are looking at what is being combusted here - the air/fuel mixture, not just the fuel, so RON is not applicable here. It's the Motor Ron Number or MON that matters here. Contamination from combustion by product is known to decrease the MON of the air/fuel mixture making it easier to self-detonate upon compression.

In Izso's case, he was experiencing a slight amount of knocking with the large overlapping + RON95 fuel. Swapping to RON97 eliminates the knocking thus the engine works better and healthier.

How you tell if it knocks? You can hear it, trust me.

Ignition timing: this engine is crank-referred and it has an electronic ignition system. Whatever he did on the camshaft DIDN'T change the ignition timing. He's pointed out that the only way to adjust the ignition timing (without resorting a new management system) is by modifying the crank sensor bracket, like what I did here.

Tappet clearance adjustment: all you need are a good 12mm close-ring spanner, a flat-head screw driver, good ears and good eyes. Feeler gauge? I keep that in the closet and never use it for long enough that it some how rusted.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

OT: izso, next time don't shot my side face, about 45 degrees to the side is the best angle. OK?

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

OOT: your bracelet in the second photo..... "-_-
Dude, I even have my watch removed before I worked on your engine so next time don't wear anything like ring, bracelet or watch while working on the engine. It's not good to show a bad example hehe!! XD

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There was a discussion on another local forum on why most local detailers only show work being carried out on supercars and that it would be better to see an extreme makeover on a normal car instead...

I thought long and hard about this and this was my response:

After giving some more thought in this matter....

While paint is still paint, the car which it is painted on varies termendously!

We are all motorheads and detailers at heart and it is indeed a thrill to work on a million...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience