Car modifications - the dummies guide! Final chapter

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think NOS can't consider as mod because it is not part of engine and it won't give you any power if you not open it.

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Each tank cost about RM200 I don't think you will simply open it.
My car also equip with NOS as you said it follow throttle position 100hp single shot from open RPM3000 till 6500. 6 to 7 round 400meters drag test then you need to refill. Beside that the tank must close if you are not using it because the gas will leak overtime....so to me NOS is optional power but cant consider as modification.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not really, there are NOS systems that activate according to the throttle position. Of cos you'll have to top up every now n then just like fuel.
Alo taikor.. you also know how to say lor. activate according to throttle position in some setups. That's kinda advanced modding already don't you think? And newbies shouldn't be playing with NOS... LOL (Dummies guide mah)

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Nice article. However, some corrections needed for supercharger part. Only roots and twin-screw chargers will give you low end torque w/o any lag. If you are using a centrifugal supercharger, you will still get the lag like turbo.
Thanks for that! Always good to know someone's reading my stuff! :biggrin: And I acknowledge your information! Haven't really had a chance to play with a centrifugal SC. Where did you manage to get one?

if i don boost often a turbo car.. would it cost the same as an NA to maintenance? mind tell me what the differences in maintenance between a turbo and NA?
Aiya.. both type of cars have oil filters, both cars use engine oil, both cars have seals, the only main difference is Turbos tend to run much hotter than a NA car so you'd have to be really careful on the cooling bits of your TC car.

And more importantly - how can you not boost often if you have a big turbo setup? :biggrin:

to izso, i want to ask u, any car with any engine can be mod like u wrote those articles? what i mean is, can svt engine be installed with supercharged or turbo?? besides, can i do all the step u put in other articles to silvertop engine?? in case, i had this one engine and really want to follow up your advices regarding modification of car so i can feel the fun of mod itself. if not i need to buy another stock car la. sorry for nooby question. :itsme:
To be honest, I'm not sure about the SVT engine. But as long as the engine has cylinders, pistons and basically work on the same concept as internal combustion engines (non-rotary), most of the time they can be modded the same way as I've suggested. The only thing is different engines have different characteristics so it's just a matter of whether it's worthwhile doing it that way.

Take a VTEC engine for example, in particular the K-series engines. These VTEC monsters work so well in the high rev ranges with the enormous amounts of torque once the VTEC opens up. Since high rev is already so good, why would you want to throw in a turbo to further pump the higher revs? You'd probably want a supercharger to compensate for the weaker low range. If i'm not mistaken the 4AGE engine series are all high rev monsters too with the race versions being VVTL-less allowing them to rev incredibly high. All their power is in the high revs too so again - why turbo? Supercharger and paired with a good cam, you'd compensate for the weak low end and feed the higher end.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
It's not NOS. It's called Nitrous. NOS is a brand of nitrous oxide system by Holley. ... and it IS a modification as it's not STANDARD issue with the car. Some people prefer it as it's not a constant wear and tear to the engine compared to permanent add ons like superchargers or turbo. ECU is not part of the engine too, so is it not considered a mod? Even NGV is considered a mod.

Iszo apart from your below quoted:
izso said:
Piggyback ECUs can do some of these things except they won't allow modification of the fuel maps. What Piggybacks do is just trick the stock ECU into thinking it needs to pump in more fuel or otherwise. Choosing either one really depends on the skills of your tuner, which brings me to my last point.
Some simply just by pass the signal and have a map of its own. They don't 'trick' it so to speak. It can even isolate the cold start functions of the ori ecu.

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

20V 4AGE engines - SVT or Blacktop has been supercharged or turbocharged repeatedly but the preference is towards turbocharging as it's simpler than s/c. It's even been done here in the local modding scene. I've turbocharged my 4AGE back in 1998. It's one of the very few that roamed the streets back then but it was the 16v model.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's not NOS. It's called Nitrous. NOS is a brand of nitrous oxide system by Holley. ... and it IS a modification as it's not STANDARD issue with the car. Some people prefer it as it's not a constant wear and tear to the engine compared to permanent add ons like superchargers or turbo. ECU is not part of the engine too, so is it not considered a mod? Even NGV is considered a mod.
Right! NOS is the brand and nitrous oxide is the chemical. Thanks for pointing that out. Well, I personally don't feel Nitrous is a basic mod mah. And the ECU has to be in place together with FI mods otherwise FI isn't going to work yes?

Some simply just by pass the signal and have a map of its own. They don't 'trick' it so to speak. It can even isolate the cold start functions of the ori ecu.

20V 4AGE engines - SVT or Blacktop has been supercharged or turbocharged repeatedly but the preference is towards turbocharging as it's simpler than s/c. It's even been done here in the local modding scene. I've turbocharged my 4AGE back in 1998. It's one of the very few that roamed the streets back then but it was the 16v model.
Much appreciated again. Always good to have knowledgeable folks come in to correct my errors!

And how many cars did you have la? I heard about the Rav4 and the Supra, 4AGE too? Fuh :biggrin:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i think turbocharging a 4AGZE is easier & cheaper..

no need to get stronger internals, injectors, ECU, etc..

just need a custom-made turbo intake & exhaust and u're done :biggrin:

unless u wanna get much much more power. then, that's another story

:burnout:

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Some turbocharge SVT by using GZE pistons... and cranks... but u gotta make sure u have a thick metal gasket to ensure valve clearance..

** STRICTLY OFF TOPIC MODS MAY DELETE IF FOUND TO BE INAPPROPRIATE **
izso: well lemme see.. err..

1.Toyota Corolla AE92
- AFC
- ITC
- MF2 injection system
- SR20 hybrid turbo
- custom manifold
- 3.5" straight flow + HKS hyper N1
- 1GGTE AFM
- Many more.. sudah lupa

2. RAV4 - 3SGE (Type G)
- SAFC
- ITC
- Nitrous (Torq Nitrous System - 75 shots)
- PS92 ignition system
- Crane Cams Ignition controller
- etc.. forgotten too long ago

3. Supra
- Forgotten.. coz my mind suddenly amnesia

4. RX7 FC3S
- Also forgotten

5. BMW
- Confirm forgotten but lesser pistons than Tom Goh

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Some turbocharge SVT by using GZE pistons... and cranks... but u gotta make sure u have a thick metal gasket to ensure valve clearance..

** STRICTLY OFF TOPIC MODS MAY DELETE IF FOUND TO BE INAPPROPRIATE **
izso: well lemme see.. err..

1.Toyota Corolla AE92
- AFC
- ITC
- MF2 injection system
- SR20 hybrid turbo
- custom manifold
- 3.5" straight flow + HKS hyper N1
- 1GGTE AFM
- Many more.. sudah lupa

2. RAV4 - 3SGE (Type G)
- SAFC
- ITC
- Nitrous (Torq Nitrous System - 75 shots)
- PS92 ignition system
- Crane Cams Ignition controller
- etc.. forgotten too long ago

3. Supra
- Forgotten.. coz my mind suddenly amnesia

4. RX7 FC3S
- Also forgotten

5. BMW
- Confirm forgotten but lesser pistons than Tom Goh
I'm officially jealous. Wish I had that kind of moolah to play with car mods like that. Sigh.

Lee Kee Mun

From Facebook
Dec 24, 2010
www.facebook.com
izso wanna do a write up on drivetrain and gearbox gear ratio?would be interesting:)since u nearly covered the whole engine modding part and braking system.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
izso wanna do a write up on drivetrain and gearbox gear ratio?would be interesting:)since u nearly covered the whole engine modding part and braking system.
I wish I were that knowledgeable. I write only on topics I have knowledge on. Someone suggested I write about 4 throttle systems but I have no idea how they work so can't really write much. Same goes for the drive train and gearbox! Sorry.

I will however be writing something about sparkplug health, camshafts, exhaust selection and tyres. Just trying to piece it together in my head.