Car Photography tech talk

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Z34, I'm no different from you also...I'm using a E510 only...Hehehe...thanks for the tip...I've been using the same cam since then....lately I just bought a 3rd party speedlite...yn460...it was selling for 199 on promo price....can't afford those close to 1K...I'm using this as a learning tool also....I've never tried night shooting for cars before...since the YN460 is fully manual even I attached it to the hot shoes I have to put he cam on manual setting if on Auto the speedlite and the shutter speed is not sync up nicely..
here's my 1st trial with speedlite. C&C welcomed.

I agree with dark, panning shot really no way to teach one...the photog have to practice and practice and practice and judge by him/herself...until today I still get miss shots or blur ones...

Last edited:

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
Interesting topic here. One can learn a lot here from the sifus...:top::top:

z34

Known Member
May 5, 2009
creative lighting can create very beautiful picture provided you know the concept behind it. it is a simple and fun thing to do once you know how to do it. I will share how I got what I perceived as few of the best strobe work I have ever done.

this picture was taken using 1 flash gun triggered by a wireless trigger system.
lighting diagram :

setting :
ISO - 100
Aperture - F8~F11
Shutter Speed - 1/200
Flash power - 1/1 (Full power)
Camera - 1000D
Shooting mode - Manual
Focusing mode - One-shot

this picture was taken using 2 flash gun triggered by a wireless trigger system.
lighting diagram:

setting :
ISO - 100
Aperture - F8~F11
Shutter Speed - 1/200
Camera - 1000D
Shooting mode - Manual
Focusing mode - One-shot

*NOTE that I shot this picture facing sunlight to create backlight and compensate the shadow of the car using 2 flashgun to reveal the detail.

this picture was taken using 2 flashgun triggered by a wireless trigger system.
lighting diagram:

setting :
ISO - 100
Aperture - F8~F11
Shutter Speed - 1/200
Camera - 1000D
Shooting mode - Manual
Focusing mode - One-shot

logic behind the settings

ISO 100 - I want to minimize ambient light caught by my camera sensor so that only lights from the flashgun is caught + to reduce noise

Aperture F8~F11 - again, I want to minimize ambient light caught by my sensor + I want every detail to be in focus and sharp (bokeh is less important when playing with this kind of light)

Shutter speed 1/200s - because this is the fastest shutter speed that my flashgun can sync with my camera. It is fast enough to prevent movements.

Flash power - well, this one boils down to your liking. test with different power level and see whats best to your liking. LOW ISO + SMALL APERTURE + HIGH SHUTTER SPEED = very minimal light will be caught, hence the need to boost my flash gun to full power.

Manual mode - so that I can control every variable.

One-shot focusing mode - because the subject is not moving + my camera is fvcking slow and lagging. LOL

hope this post helps anyone who wants to explore the fun of creative lighting.

Last edited:

KLEMANN

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
Re: Car Photography tech talkhttp

recently did some panning Federal ODC Rd.2 drift shots

comment & critic welcome :wavey:

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
setting :
ISO - 100
Aperture - F8~F11
Shutter Speed - 1/200
Camera - 1000D
Shooting mode - Manual
Focusing mode - One-shot
hard to believe part. damn!

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Actually I think any cam also can get good pictures. I wish those using entry level DSLR like myself won't get looked down...

Just some questions

Is 1000D really that bad?? My E510 is also having some problems at the on off button and the mode selection button. How much will it cost to get it repair?

Last edited:

z34

Known Member
May 5, 2009
i have owned the 1000D for 4years.

the bad side about it is
slow focusing
poor iso performance

other than that, its all good to me.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
some of my work in Tokyo in 2008 and very privileged to have the Z-Tune and 400R for a day. Thanks to Alan Khoo from Nismo malaysia for the opportunity. Not so much brilliant photography but a brilliant subject.

Remus and Jess way before their recent wedding. coloured the headlight beams blue to achieve the just-turned-on xenon effect

At the car park in Nissan gallery at Giza. very expensive hourly rate but was definitely worth paying for. you can just notice the 400R in the background

big mistake with the hood not completely closed.

Majestic. copied the moving background onto the windows to black out the interior and driver

removed all unnecessary materials from the background

Life after GT-R V-Spec? The Nismo 400R & Z-Tune – Special Tokyo Feature : Zerotohundred.com

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Z34. Do u do a lot of pp on your shots?

z34

Known Member
May 5, 2009
normally - just edit contrast + exposure + noise reduction in lightroom + watermark

but i do occasionally edit a picture that i really like to make it better.

such as

1st version edit (straightened, noise reduce, exposure + contrast edit)

2nd version edit (better exposure to the wheel, edit background pattern for cleaner look)

shawnzz

500 RPM
Sep 6, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
wow! alot of nice techniques to learn and experiment! how i wish i had the equipment to do it! heh

anyways, here are my car photos from my recent melbourne trip. C&C welcomed :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

still trying to capture panning shot, but always failed.. camera not made to do so i guess, heh. Still using a prosumer camera

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
daamn.. so many PP sifus here. I've been dying to learn a thing or two about how to PP the best way. Removing the lines and what not always seems to leave a halo on my edits. I'm not good at all! I assume you folks are on Photoshop?

z34

Known Member
May 5, 2009
I use photoshop + 3 hours of songs and I'm good to go. LOL

another picture which i took during time to attack final

1st version edit
(contrast + exposure + noise reduction)

2nd version edit
(a lil bit more exposure + reflection on the floor + tidying up background)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

First of all, we would like to show our greatest appreciation to Scholl Concepts Asia for giving us the opportunity to try our their new professional line products. We are proud to be able to work with wetshine.net on this particular combo detailing with the help of Scholl Concepts products. Our client has bring to us a Toyota...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience