DIY coolant replace + flush

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think there's a difference anymore. Most coolants are ethylene glycol based which means they are aluminium friendly coolant. Old coolants were made with substances meant for steel radiators and weren't compatible with aluminium radiators. But since 90% of the new cars out there use aluminium radiators as stock, it only makes sense to stop producing the old coolant since the ethylene glycol based coolants are compatible anyway.

But I could be wrong. I used Toyota (red colour) and Nissan (green colour) coolants in my car and the default one was red in colour. All seems to work for me.
thanks for the info...
i find the green coolant to be much cheaper then the so called LLC(long life coolant).
however i find dat at the label...the red color coolant(LLC) is also recommend to be changed annually...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
So my point is, top the water level after the first thermostat opening, and cap it back. Then fill the reserve tank to the mark and call it a day.
i've seen a few mechanic doing this also.. i just thought they were lazy.. hehe..

but i think after a few days, we need to refill the reserve tank, right?

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
i've seen a few mechanic doing this also.. i just thought they were lazy.. hehe..

but i think after a few days, we need to refill the reserve tank, right?
I usually fill the tank slightly over the 'max' mark before I bring it for a short drive and check it again afterward.

radhie

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
my radiator is rusty inside,not using any coolant..only tap water,how to clean the rust inside?any chemical or products that i can use?
planned to flush it and use a coolant..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
my radiator is rusty inside,not using any coolant..only tap water,how to clean the rust inside?any chemical or products that i can use?
planned to flush it and use a coolant..
Suggest you just use lots and lots of water to flush it out. Aluminium blocks don't rust that easily. And if your block is steel, then I believe there are lots of coolant flushes out there you can try to use. Just follow the instructions carefully.

nothing happen to my radiator (my proton saga), temperature still normal, and no worries if the thermostat fail to work as it is. :biggrin:
Unless you have a water temp meter installed, you can't really use the temp gauge on your dashboard as a accurate reading. You have to remember that engine oil has an optimum temperature to reach before it starts to lubricate properly. For example, 5W30 means the engine will need to be 100 degrees before it starts lubing at 30 weight oil. Inbetween that you're not getting full lubrication except from the 5 weight oil properties. Just make sure your car is fully warmed up before you drive your car agressively. There's a reason why the thermostat was designed into the system. If it really was useless manufacturers would have just saved money by not giving it to you.

GmBH

May 22, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Unless you have a water temp meter installed, you can't really use the temp gauge on your dashboard as a accurate reading. You have to remember that engine oil has an optimum temperature to reach before it starts to lubricate properly. For example, 5W30 means the engine will need to be 100 degrees before it starts lubing at 30 weight oil. Inbetween that you're not getting full lubrication except from the 5 weight oil properties. Just make sure your car is fully warmed up before you drive your car agressively. There's a reason why the thermostat was designed into the system. If it really was useless manufacturers would have just saved money by not giving it to you.
yup maybe u are right. i have to warm up my saga at least 10 minutes before i can drive it smoothly.
by the way my saga already reach 12 years old and by removing the thermostat is to avoid that thermostat fail to work and cause overheating during my journey that what i am afraid of.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
yup maybe u are right. i have to warm up my saga at least 10 minutes before i can drive it smoothly.
by the way my saga already reach 12 years old and by removing the thermostat is to avoid that thermostat fail to work and cause overheating during my journey that what i am afraid of.

the function of a thermostat is to prevent overheating and underheating..

read this

Thermostat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
can we fill up with 2 bottles of coolant?
If it's a premixed coolant, then yes. If it's pure coolant - better not. You might make the coolant too acidic / alkaline (whichever one it is) and either way it's bad for the metal.

wld

500 RPM
Aug 13, 2007
toyota coolant (red one) considered premixed or pure?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
That's pure. It has to be mixed 1 part to 10 with water. You can't use that only la. Not good!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Having question, which alot people said that open pod was`t suitable on automatic transmission.
I have few numbers of friends installed open pod on their automatic myvi, vios, persona, accord, civic and 350z also having good result on performance increase.
Another weird answer from a friend with 350z roadster is better fuel consume after installing a long ram open pod + CAI with heat shield cover.

I`m currently going to do a short ram intake with heat shield cover for my 1.5l automatic...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience