Supercharged 3.5 Toyota V6 will make way into new Exige S in 2012

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

There's a new Exige S. This 2012 edition boasts a new engine. One to replace the current supercharged 2ZZ 1.8 that is fantastic for short circuit attacks but runs out of breath perhaps too soon. Lotus will replace the 4-banger for a 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 from the current Evora as used in the Camry and then top it off with a supercharger to deem it "S" worthy. This is great news for Lotus fanboys as the Exige S model can finally spurt out of puberty and become a true superformance kart fit for all terrain.

Facts about The 2012 Exige S:

• Zerotohundred: About 3.8 seconds
  • Top Speed: 274km/h
  • Engine: 3.5L Supercharged Toyota V6
  • Power: 345bhp
  • Torque 400nm
  • Weight: 1080kg
  • Fuel: -
  • Wheels: 17" front 18" rear
  • Tyres: Pirelli P-Zero Corsa 205/45/17 and 265/45/18
  • Price: -

345bhp worth of raw brutish power can now be had from the silky smooth V6 that is force-fed by legendary Eaton manufactured Twin Vortex Series blower. This is not seen in typical Camrys, especially not when the Lotus fiddled V6 churns 7200rpm in sport mode with on-the-edge 10:1 compression ratio. All through Lotus own T6E Engine management. What's more amazing is the 400nm worth of torque at 4500rpm that will catapult the 2012 Exige S from zerotohundred in about 3.8 seconds on to a never before seen 270km/h from an Exige.

Technology wise, this is no doubt the best equipped Exige ever. Real mechanical LSDs are now overrated by manufacturer standards. VW's XDS differential is renowned for its no-fuss, zero-wheelspin, full-on throttle cornering ability.

Lotus does with their own Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) system that similarly brake individual wheels to reduce spin while further perfecting cornering prowess through its Corner Brake Control (CBC) system that should allow serious trail-braking shaving precious seconds, lap after lap.

Power is nothing without control as Pirelli says. So the Exige S shall not be comprised of control. Lotus will equip the S with Pirelli's grippiest P-Zero Corsas as standard in lightweight 17" front and 18" rear wheels.

There is also 3 different driving modes one could choose from Lotus' Dynamic Performance Management (DPM) system that comes with the Exige S. The safest being Touring, then skill-complimenting Sport and then there's the no holds barred DPM Off mode. Just one more Mode shall be made available when you tick the Race Pack option. This Fourth Mode says "Race" and will provide almost tarmac-folding traction in the corners as well as off-the-line with the addition of Launch Control. Race Pack also comes with an optimized suspension setting designed for the circuit.

Exterior wise, being based on the latest of Elises, the 2012 Exige S will receive all the naughty aero bits as usual with a completely new styling cue including a huge front air dam with a deeper chin and new rear bumper and wing. We're not too sure about how the back looks being so square. But doubts should quickly diminish as this new Exige S sounds unreal to drive.

Tech:

Corner Brake Control (CBC)
Drag Torque Control (DTC)
Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
Traction Control System (TCS)
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)*
Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)*
Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)*
Understeer Recognition

Related: Current Exige S Review: First Impression: Lotus Exige S - Plenty of bite to match its bark

Attachments

Turborized

Known Member
Jun 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Re: Supercharged 2.4 Toyota V6 will make way into new Exige S in 2012

One Word. WOW.

kimoka

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006

Isn't it 3.5V6 ?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Isn't it 3.5V6 ?
That's the Lotus Evora GTE bro...not the Exige S 2012:smile:

MaRvyn

Known Member
Nov 9, 2007
www.vixiousworks.com

Is it just me or it seems longer than the previous model? Front is sick. Rear seems ermm... dont know what to say.

I guess they've sort of acknowledged what Hennessey did to their Venom GT was right. Stretched it and it looked sexier!

Last edited:

xandras

Known Member
Apr 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I thought the Evora uses the 3.5 V6 regardless of whether it is Evora S or not? The S simply stands for supercharged.. The figures matches the 2GR-FZE in Evora S though.

And with those figures, I think the Exige S would achieve 0-100 below 3.5 secs.. The previous limited edition Exige S with 240 HP already achieving 0-100 at 3.8 secs..

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
guys, it was a mistake. It is in fact the 3.5 V6 rather than a 2.4 as stated earlier. thank you for pointing it out.

xandras, i agree the 3.8 seconds claimed is a little too conservative. maybe it is, or the new S may have taller gear ratios for driveability

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
For me its look like a venom GT, but with a better looking front..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Interesting car! Funny I come across this right after I watched a 2008 episode of Keiichi Tsuchiya's "American Touge 3". The Americans had a Elise with a K20A Supercharged engine and it was so good for the Japanese folks that they pleaded in the show for Lotus to start using Honda engines in their cars.

Toyota SC vs high revving Honda SC.. I wonder which would be better?

are_i

Known Member
May 4, 2006
i never had a chance to lay a finger on current exsige S now they were talking about the new one is comming Walla!!... salute to lotus team :top: i wish one day i can have their car under my garage....
and what if they put in that 3.5v6 into the current exige :evil:

xandras

Known Member
Apr 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
guys, it was a mistake. It is in fact the 3.5 V6 rather than a 2.4 as stated earlier. thank you for pointing it out.

xandras, i agree the 3.8 seconds claimed is a little too conservative. maybe it is, or the new S may have taller gear ratios for driveability
It could be, but let's just wait for one of the guys from Top Gear to test it out & see if it's quicker than on paper.. :) As we know, supercar manufacturers have one thing in common: they always 'understate' their figures on paper..

But.. To improve driveability? I thought Lotus cars are the most driveable ones? xD Given their handling and all the new techs that comes with the car, it wouldn't be a problem for the new Exige S to smoke even the Aventador in a circuit race.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys...i getting 4g91 halfcut edi...

wat i need 2 noe is the piping size suitable 4 the engine...o should i juz use back my stock wira piping?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience