Thinking of buying a car from UK back to Msia with Student AP. But how?

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Bro i was suprise to find out so many replies in such a short time. very helpful indeed. but most of the part i dont really understand. haha i will be going to UK next tuesday for my Final Year Degree ( and maybe Masters, duno yet ).

Hmm after i read much of the explanation above by Bro Otacon it seems like very hassle to bring back a car from UK.

Btw the last few question i want to ask is,

1) At last the car will be rugi or untung alot ?

2) It will cause a big difference in terms of money after clearing all the stuff in customs and run on the road in Msia ?

3) Which type of car difference a lot ? Like lets say Europeans car manufacturer like VW, Benz, BMW is near to UK compare to Japanese cars like Honda and Toyota rite? So i guess VW those will make more difference than japanese cars?

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
well, bring back the car with age about 60 months is ideal
cuz if it's new car, tax is freaking damn high, you're end up pay CASH on everything which might be just RM10k different if you get from local AP

don't bring back the car that it's rare in malaysia, parts aint cheap bro
defniltey not worth bring back toyota or honda car. Mini cooper is quite ideal as it has it heritage. German cars are better choice.

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Ya i miss out 1 thing. Bro Otacon explained that we need to have the insurance to bring it back and i heard from my friend insurance is dman expensive in UK. So can we not to pay for the insurance? It is illegal rite for not using insurance on the road in UK?

and how much % they charge usually on the EXCISE DUTY? It seems like not much profit to earn after all these type of process.

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
Bro i was suprise to find out so many replies in such a short time. very helpful indeed. but most of the part i dont really understand. haha i will be going to UK next tuesday for my Final Year Degree ( and maybe Masters, duno yet ).

Hmm after i read much of the explanation above by Bro Otacon it seems like very hassle to bring back a car from UK.

Btw the last few question i want to ask is,

1) At last the car will be rugi or untung alot ?

2) It will cause a big difference in terms of money after clearing all the stuff in customs and run on the road in Msia ?

3) Which type of car difference a lot ? Like lets say Europeans car manufacturer like VW, Benz, BMW is near to UK compare to Japanese cars like Honda and Toyota rite? So i guess VW those will make more difference than japanese cars?
1) no car untung alot one....rugi most of the time got la...

2) If looking at the type of car you bring back...depending of the value...let say in msia the car worth 200k...you brought back after all the hu-ha and total add up 140k....maybe thats your saving...but unless you got that type of cash, thats good...based on my 2 cents...maybe bro Otacon can clarify further

3) from experience definitely go for a european car....even if you want a Toyota or Honda, get something valueble...den it might be alright...but that depends on people preference...I surveyed an ae86 for 4.6k pounds there..savings?? definitely looking at one ae86 cost about 35k above in malaysia...but then i need to consider all the hu-ha and tax of bringing it back...what I said earlier...it depends on people preferences...some like japanese cars, others continental or so what...at the end, its you 'passion' to endure all the trouble to bring back the car to malaysia:biggrin::biggrin:

anyway, i realise you are going there for you final degree....means a 2 + 1 degree i presume...well, keep in mind your international driving permit only allow you to drive one year...

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Ya i miss out 1 thing. Bro Otacon explained that we need to have the insurance to bring it back and i heard from my friend insurance is dman expensive in UK. So can we not to pay for the insurance? It is illegal rite for not using insurance on the road in UK?

and how much % they charge usually on the EXCISE DUTY? It seems like not much profit to earn after all these type of process.
Insurance is super expensive if you are in the below 25-26 age group...I personally own and drove 2 cars during my time in UK without INSURANCE due to high prices...what I can say from that is please don't do that as the possibility the local coppers catching you are very high...ANPR cameras are everywhere and even their ANPR vans could be at the corner...I was only very lucky not to be caught in act thinking back what I have done...

Excise duty depends on the type of car you bought and want to bring back...generally I don't want to sound bad or anything but if you really want to bring back a car exp, Mini cooper R53...buy a Motortrader mag and look at that price, provide yourself with enough amount of cash in order to bring it back..After the car is release from Malaysia customs, how much money you are left after bringing back the car to malaysia is your profit...Its very hard to bring back the car trying to skimp on money in the process..worst case scenario is your car stuck at Port Klang...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks AE101.

The thing is i m going for final year and my VISA is only valid for 11 months not 1 year. So i think i canot bring back a car from there rite? Because the insurance require 1 year before bringing back and 9 months of owning the car. Base on your comment saving the 60k is consider a lot to me and my parents as they are really interested to get one continental or japanese exotics back to MSIA with the AP.

Actually my dad is quite interested in bringing back some continentals or italians car there because it is cheaper with the AP. Lets say i'm going for Masters there it will be more than 1 year already so i can bring back 1 car to Msia. I just want to know around how much the % of the "EXCISE DUTY" you guys mention cos that is the only cost that will be a "bomb" i guess.

Lets say i bring back a GTR - 35 or a BMW 5 SERIES. it would be save up alot rite compare to malaysia? About insurance i dont think i will drive it in UK if confirm getting a car back. Most of all, put it in a garage lol. Guys just asking, normally cars there which is cheap is which type? VW ? BMW ? BENZ ?

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
Import Duty For CBU Vehicles (%)

Purchase price of the vehicle can be taken into account in the calculation of the Customs Value and this is only an estimation of the calculations of Customs Duties. However, Royal Malaysian Customs has docket price of the particular vehicle to determine the calculation of the exact Customs Value. The calculation of Customs Duties also depends on the original registration date (birth date), engine capacity, date of import and model of the vehicle.

taken from sakuraguy-lowyat ...

anyway, i guess this is the structure how much it will cost.....GTR 35 or 5 series??? I only can say there will be a saving if you have enough cash to pay once the car hits the port for release but prepare to pay everything in cash, not in 5-7-9 years loan...

One year is not enough for you to bring back a car from UK. If you read properly, you need three months on hand to come back and apply an AP thru MITI...will you be that free during your term time..

Don't think you read much what have been posted earlier. If you don't have insurance, you can't bring the car back to Malaysia. Have you give a thought how much garage fees cost? You need to keep it on an off-road premise btw if you are staying in campus hostel.

I only can say UK cars are definitely cheaper when 'converted' to ringgit. I cannot comment much on that because I am not really a fan of continental cars..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
The big problem (as in my case) everything need cash!

(1) To buy the car = Cash
(2) To register the car and insurance = Cash
(3) To de-register it and translate documents (for non-English documents) = Cash
(4) Freight cost (CIF) to bring it back = Cash
(5) To pay customs tax and duty + roadtax and insurance = Biggest Cash

By given the same car, same specs, same conditions, and same manufactured year, let say the market value in M'sia around RM 200k. Let say you can get it after the process (1) until (5) around RM 140k in UK/Japan/Europe.

Yes, you save (or can called it "profit") around RM 60k. BUT, the hassle and to prepare cash of RM 140k is really pain in the ass. I would rather to buy it in m'sia with the convenience of bank loan and dealer/importer warranty.

Anyway, it will be different story if you plan to get some "exotic" or "rare" models that very difficult to get in M'sia originally (without conversion). eg: Skyline Z-Tune, Impreza P1, Evo FQ series, and so on...

Just my 2 cents :biggrin:

Last edited:

rumitech_global

Known Member
Jun 11, 2010
melaka
back dated d ownership ler... hassle free... insurance oso can do back dated... even MOT test oso can cheat in UK lerr... find la Malaysian ppl over there with experience to deal with it.... im sure can be done....coz i done it one time last couple of year ago..

Last edited:

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
back dated d ownership ler... hassle free... insurance oso can do back dated... even MOT test oso can cheat in UK lerr... find la Malaysian ppl over there with experience to deal with it.... im sure can be done....coz i done it one time last couple of year ago..
This backdate ownership seems like forgery and I think MOT cheat only can be done if you have a friend that own the same car model with you or if the garage offer you to pass for a sum of money. I am not very sure is there any other way...lol...I know of cases of forging the roadtax disc as in UK, they are still using the paper kind with a hologram strip which could be easily scanned and changed it date as each year, the roadtax disc has a change in colour.. but I don't advice on doing this..lol...I did the same but had problems getting the car out of the police car reclaiming compound as the road tax did not tally the date it expired hence a big issue at the reclaiming office. At the end, I need to forged a story that the car was stolen..Anyway, just advicing if you really wanna get the car back to Malaysia, do it the right way...lol...

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
what BE5RSK say is quite true also. i totally forgot about paying everything in CASH.
so end up you are like paying a car without taking loan interest. its around the same also.

and AE i read through the comment u guys posted but not really understand. nvm i try to inform my dad about this. will be going tonight later. so sad to leave Malaysia.

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
I'm already in UK now. In portsmouth :) I just survey most of the cars in auto trader UK website.. So far the cheap one should be evo Subaru and BMW z4. My dad already agree to buy a car. Now what I need to do is call to Malaysia embassy to double confirm. Owning a car for 9 months is not a problem now and paying the 1year insurance also not a problem but I'm only here for 10-11months. So that would be a problem for insurance unless like what u guys mention my uncle was here as a businessman he say we can call the insurance to use back dated method to settle the 1year insurance problem.

Guys, to drive in UK we can use the Malaysia driving license rite? So don't need to take any more test rite?

kambing69

Known Member
Jul 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Yes you can back dated it, with your uncle experience then i think it would be no problems.

The problems is TAX, that's all. I though you were studying there, if you studying or staying then you will be entitle to get AP depend on how long you staying there, that's the reason why many student/worker buying outside car and import it back, the AP it self deduct about half at least for the total cost in Malaysia. Even if you owned the car for 9 month (back track the date or not) you still have to pay the tax but with AP it will be lesser much much more. Dint know if you can applied for AP though. Well one citizen only can applied once's in a life time if im not mistaken and the AP will be valid withing 2 years only ( i forgot the total information as i finished my studied about 2 years back)

About the license yes you can drive it. But within 1 year only, and after one year you just bring your car and your passport outside England (go to wales or up northen area there). Lets your passport been stamp in and out then you will have your 'international license renew'. Please pay you insurance, if in the insurance have only your name, then only you can drive the car...

Owh and sry Vox, i dont have any runner their right now, all contact lost already, and i dont have any friend staying near portmouth as im from Newcastle(tyne and Wear) region~

Good luck bro~

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

for references n info.....taken from Micra sites....any ones??? :D

This is a simple mod that you can do to every stock micra.
You will notice a better response and better acceleration.
Parts needed:
Aluminium tape
+- 1M of 60mm flexible paper tube.

1. isolate whit aluminium tape the air filter box ,in and out, this will create colder air box.
2. extend the flexible tube to the front grill , take him out and isolate whit aluminium tape .
3. that’s it!

since aluminium tape...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience