basikal_pancit

500 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Selangor

chromeless1

Known Member
Jan 11, 2007
hey guys,
sorry to interrupt..just wanna help a fren to decide on which to buy..either ep3 or dc5 and since its been debated regarding performance matter..not much differ accept for looks right?
then can u guys give a clearer picture on details such as driving position,comfort level,and will be using as a daily driven car..and at least a couple+a baby as an occasional family car..is the boot space sufficient? can i hv a rough idea how big is it? compare to the dc5? (he owns a wira..so boot space is not an issue)..my fren kinda like the hot hatch version..but being a family person..he's abit worry on this kind of things..thanx for ur help guys..

affiq

Known Member
Sep 6, 2007
hmm...well...for me...space..is not that different..even so ep3 is a hatch back..the boot..is actually not that bad...if im not mistaken.dc5's boot is a bit bigger..and ermm...if u ask me...sorry ep3 family...i might be in for the dc5...hehehe..but i love my ep3! dont get me wrong. i was told..the dc5 chassis is damn good...and u can get dc5 parts much much much easier...just my 2cents anyways..

ataro_gozambo

Known Member
Jan 6, 2005
I am not an expert but I drove my cousin's EP while I was at Tokyo during the 2011 Auto Salon and I owned a DC5 myself. I drove my mild-MOD DC5 daily with FC on average 11-12 km/l. On highway the score will be much better at 13-14 km/l.

Space
I'm quite surprise that EP has more space interiorly than DC. DC has lower head clearance especially for rear passenger.
Boot space - of coz DC's bigger and accessible from rear passenger (if you dont have the rear boot cover). Front recaro seat, EP - comfort, DC – hard n more body hugging.

Comfort
It’s all depending on how u setup ur car. My coz EP is all about comfort and just a bit on performance. He uses complete Mugen setup (non-adjustable) for the suspension while I'm on hardcore fully adjustable system. So you can imagine how diff both cars will behave on the road.

Performance
I dont know guys, but I felt just a soft-kick of Vtec while I'm on my coz EP. It is not the same what my car will roar when the Vtec kick-in. Again this maybe resulting from fully Mugen exhaust system on my coz EP (twin-loop) and mine fully customizes system with loud Apexi N1 end. Both still using the same virgin comp box, and both still have the same rev n speed cut. It is not just about the noise, but the fell.. felt more kick on DC.

It’s true what affiq said, being a rare creature, it is hard to get parts especially bodypart for EP. Even harder to see anyone selling it right now. Just look inside ZTH, u can find a lot of DCs selling while EP is rare (or none). Yes Kamarul was selling his a few months ago, but in the end plan to keep it.

If ur friend does have another car for the family, then a 2 door coupe is okay to have. But if he is going to use the same 2 door coupe, I don’t think it is a good choice. And by the way, for the passenger, getting in and out of DC is harder than EP.

I was only able to experience 2 weeks with the EP (Tokyo's traffic jam, touge attack and Wangan cruise at night) so maybe my judgment on EP is a bit bias. Maybe EP friends can correct me…

chromeless1

Known Member
Jan 11, 2007
thanx guys for da feedbacks..

affiq,
heheh..even u also say things like that ya? hehe..ive done some readings on this in europe forums and they also say the same thing..itr is much better than the ep3..some even trade their ep3 for a dc5 later due to bordom (issit??)

basikal_pancit,
well..he at 1st wanted a cl7,but after seeing market price is still skyhigh&less parts...so he opted for something less pricey an at that point 2 other R badge siblings in mind are the ep3 and dc5.
then later people say ep3 is cheaper..an due to his liking on hatchback cars
fd2 is abargain in a way..but he thinks that its not rare coz got lots of type R wanabe..as fds share same faces..hence the rejection..kekekekek

ataro_gozambo,
well..since uve experince by hand...i guess more or less dc5 is a more 'driver' oriented than the ep3 (like most forumers from uk/nz/australia quoted)..

well..if cabin space it would be ep3..trunk spare dc5 rite? but not so diff issit? cant go wrong being a family car still rite guys? is just a small family of 2couples+1year bby..still ok i guess?
if lets say wanna go balik kampung once awhile can laa..hehehe..anyone have the exact size of the trunk? myb if can get in litres or in cubic? he want to compare..
thanx

affiq

Known Member
Sep 6, 2007
yeah..thats my honest opinion...but i wont trade my ep for a dc anytime soon...

basikal_pancit

500 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Selangor
Bro, I've compared my ep with dc and i would say that the trunk is bigger for dc but the behind seat was smaller (maybe due to tunk getting more spaces?)

however, i was told that ep and dc share the same wheel base and the chasis also share the same measurement.

as for balik kampung, I always balik kampung with my ep with not only 2 persons, sometime 5 persons in the car and they dont complain about comfortability. so i would say it is great for a couple + cute baby to travel around in style :)

as for the parts, only bodyparts are hard to find. for engine and handling parts, most of it could be share with DC5 or even ES. so not much problem for me.

affiq

Known Member
Sep 6, 2007
yup...performance parts surely no problem...tp bro..not only body parts..parts like air-con stuff...power windows are also a pain the arrsssss....
bout blk kg...i also have a family of 3.. 2+1 baby...baby no problem...i let my wife and baby sit behind...just 1 thing lah...with big bags...and some other stuff..i cant fit my son's stroller in the boot..i do think that u'll still have that prob with dc5..hehehe..plus...for family outings..i usually drive my wife's fd1...so jarang lah have head aches..
yeah..and one more plus side for the dc5..got brembos...and pads easier to find...

chromeless1

Known Member
Jan 11, 2007
haha..well guys..good to know that u guys help clear things up for me..heheh
and yup..they share same chasis+engine..the bodypart lor..and also aircond? thought it shares more or less the same as the dc..anywy,this 2 says driving back from work..meet with a ep 4door si ..which is considered rare too..hmm..wonder who that could be yaa?? heheh..

affiq,
no need to worry lor..get the brembo from dc..transfer to ep.kekek..kautim..hehe

affiq

Known Member
Sep 6, 2007
ya lah...if get dc5...no need to buy already..hahahaha