Evo General : Evo I - X

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yr right bro greenmivec, boost level varies by gears... but difference should NOT be too much. Prolly +/- 0.15 bar the most.

My airtrek stock boost level is 0.6 bar (varies between models, some models are 1 bar stock) and now, I have it at 1.2bar with boost controller. It hovers between 0.9 bar to 1.2 bar depending on gears.

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
I dont really understand how to use the boost controller. If i set the boost, actually the mechanic set it, to 1.0 bar, does it mean all gear will be at 1.0 bar or will still varies according to gears?

There are 4 levels to set in my m7 boost controller. Level 1 1.0 level 2 1.1 level 3 1.2 and level 4 1.3.

If i use level 1, so it wont go until 1.3 right? But it happened to jump to 1.2 bar. Never experience 1.38 or 1.4 bar.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Boost controller to control boost lo... But it is limited by your mechanical wastegate. The wastegate sets the limit of max pressure you can have. The electronic boost controller can let you have anything in between the the minimum and the max pressure allowed by the wastegate. Some let you programme different boost on different rpm points.

Example, if your wastegate can take maximum 1.3 bar, you can control your boost anywhere from 0.5, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and max 1.3 bar. But cannot go 1.4 bar and above.

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
But why mine is only 1.1 bar?

Is it because of the boost set at the controller?

How do i set it back to normal boost setting?

kariayam

Known Member
Oct 3, 2007
Later evos boost curve do have boost spike... it will spike to 1.4 bar FOR FEW SECONDS then drop to lower pressure (may be 1.2 bar..i'm not sure) under load. This curve is standard setting by the manufacturer. (look for top gear or fifth gear tv show..cant remember which one)

As with electronic boost controller, the 2 main functions are:
1-to set your boost
2-to set boost response (also called as gain setting- how fast maximum/full boost can be built up)- means you will be able to get maximum/full boost at earlier RPM.

The boost controller will limit the maximum boost pressure as set by you. if you set 1 bar, then the maximum pressure will be limited to only 1 bar with no boost spike,boost creeps, over boost..etc..whatever you call it..

Now we will talk about gain setting. If you set the gain setting too high,you will have the risk of boost spike. i.e: if your boost setting is 1 bar, then you set too much gain, there will be possibilty the boost will spike to above 1 bar before returning to 1 bar.

Conclusion:
1-Set the boost..
2- set the gain
3- fine tune >adjust the gain to minimalize or to eliminate the boost spike.
4- READ your boost controller manual on how to operate the controller

up to this point, i dont understand why you'll need a boost controller on the stock evo ix. when you adjust the boost controller, it will eliminate the factory boost setting which features the '1.4 bar boost spike'. And you will not want to set the boost higher than 1.4 bar or constant at 1.4 bar as the fuel system and engine management are still stock which is beyond the turbo and engine capability. ~~~~1.4 bar is considered high for a stock turbo and engine

And my previous experience of high speed cruising with evo was, I travelled quite often from KL to Terengganu few years ago. maybe once a week. cruising speed on the LPT Highway was 160-180km/h @ 4000,4500RPM. Water temp was perfect but still i had my cranckshaft bearings fucked.

It's beacause the engine oil must had been boiling hot as i dont have any oil temp gauge. The hot oil cannot provide enough protection for the bearings. I then had my engine overhauled. ( from positive sides: it's time for Upgrades :driver:)

Lesson learnt for all the high speed cruisers, upgrade your oil cooler or install an oil temp gauge to monitor your oil temp. these few hundred bucks of investment will save you thousands of bucks and time. And water temp gauge too...Good Luck!!!!!

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
@greenmivec,set it back to stock lar
Maybe because of difference in load between gear,therefore result in slight variation in boost but i am not firm on that
It should go up to around 1.4bar or so on mid range and taper off a bit by 7000rpm or so

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
Bro kariayam,

That is a very detail and clear explaination. Thaks bro. Actually the ebc is free gift that is why it is installed. That is the perfect answer why mine is 1.1 bar max only. Pity my evo cannot unleashed its full power

I understand the boost setting. I will set the value for 1.38 bar. But for the gain, what should i set? Dont really understand about it.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

And that is why i m worry about cruising at high speed but i guess if we have enough gauge than we can take early precaution to slow down.

For me the best cruising speed for my evo is 140 - 160km/h.

By the way anybody have the m7 boost controller manual? I have lost mine

kariayam

Known Member
Oct 3, 2007
Bro kariayam,

That is a very detail and clear explaination. Thaks bro. Actually the ebc is free gift that is why it is installed. That is the perfect answer why mine is 1.1 bar max only. Pity my evo cannot unleashed its full power

I understand the boost setting. I will set the value for 1.38 bar. But for the gain, what should i set? Dont really understand about it.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

And that is why i m worry about cruising at high speed but i guess if we have enough gauge than we can take early precaution to slow down.

My suggestion is just disable the boost controller or just turn it off if possible.

Why??? =

Spike means the boost will overshoot to 1.4 bar for a very short period of time( 2-3 secs) before coming back to normal boost (normal boost maybe 1.1-1.2 bar if i'm not mistaken) as from the factory setting.

You will not want to set the boost controller to 1.4 bar, as this only make your boost becomes constant at 1.4bar at all time and it's not healthy for the engine and the turbo itself + the fuel system is still stock + stock ECU.
REMEMBER: the factory setting only SPIKES to 1.4 bar, not sticking to 1.4 bar all the way

The easiest and best way for your solution is Just get your boost pattern re-set to factory setting to unleash the real potential of your e9 by disabling your boost controller.

Answering your question on gain setting, you have to do trial and error. you may start from the lowest gain, and try to increase it step by step.Find an open empty safe road, and try to push your car at high gear..(may be 3rd or 4th gear....and it's at your own risk too...)
You will see how fast the full boost is built up.. stop increasing the gain once you see the boost starts to overshoot above your earlier boost setting.

Huh..hope this clarifies.......:driver:...............and please dont blow the engine:biggrin:

Last edited:

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
My suggestion is just disable the boost controller or just turn it off if possible.

Why??? =

Spike means the boost will overshoot to 1.4 bar for a very short period of time( 2-3 secs) before coming back to normal boost (normal boost maybe 1.1-1.2 bar if i'm not mistaken) as from the factory setting.

You will not want to set the boost controller to 1.4 bar, as this only make your boost becomes constant at 1.4bar at all time and it's not healthy for the engine and the turbo itself + the fuel system is still stock + stock ECU.
REMEMBER: the factory setting only SPIKES to 1.4 bar, not sticking to 1.4 bar all the way

The easiest and best way for your solution is Just get your boost pattern re-set to factory setting to unleash the real potential of your e9 by disabling your boost controller.

Answering your question on gain setting, you have to do trial and error. you may start from the lowest gain, and try to increase it step by step.Find an open empty safe road, and try to push your car at high gear..(may be 3rd or 4th gear....and it's at your own risk too...)
You will see how fast the full boost is built up.. stop increasing the gain once you see the boost starts to overshoot above your earlier boost setting.

Huh..hope this clarifies.......:driver:...............and please dont blow the engine:biggrin:

the best and clear explanation:adore: can be a guideline to those want to install ebc later:biggrin: cheer :driver:

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah agreed, good explaination.

Bro kariayam,

Ok if i understood the boost controller function correctly, it will limit the boost level. Let say if i set it to 1.4bar. Since the standard boost for ix is 1.38bar and will spike to 1.4bar, that means it is a correct value to set am i right? It still allow the ix boost to be in its standard range, 1.38 spike to 1.4 and drop to lower bar 1.2 or 1.3, am i right?

Or are you trying to tell that if we set the boost controller to 1.4 than the boost will maintain at 1.4 and will not drop after that?

I have read a 52 pages thread of evo ix in zth, another point of ebc is to avoid a high spike since 2005 evo ix with magnesium turbo have the tendency to spike until 1.6 bar. Therefore if we have ebc it will limit it to the boost we set, let say 1.4 bar only and will not cross it.

But does it mean that the boost will go or maintain to 1.4bar instead of 1.38 spikes to 1.4 and drop?

Thanks a lot for making this thread a good technical thread to help new evo owner like me.

Last edited:

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Bro GreenMivec,

Just in case you want to let go your M7 EBC, please let me know ye :wavey:

BTW, nice mean machine you have there :adore:

aycy

3,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2006
Penang / Butterworth
www.facebook.com
I dont really understand how to use the boost controller. If i set the boost, actually the mechanic set it, to 1.0 bar, does it mean all gear will be at 1.0 bar or will still varies according to gears?

There are 4 levels to set in my m7 boost controller. Level 1 1.0 level 2 1.1 level 3 1.2 and level 4 1.3.

If i use level 1, so it wont go until 1.3 right? But it happened to jump to 1.2 bar. Never experience 1.38 or 1.4 bar.
im running with m7 boost controller as well. actually that is not level 1,2,3 or 4. it was the preset setup that u can set. u can set level 1 to 1.4bar level 2 to 1bar also can. 4 setting for u to do fast switching without doing all the setting. im running in 2 setting in my ix now. level 1 is value 50 = 1.2bar and level 2 for value 60 = 1.3xbar. level 1 i use for town crushing. level 2 when i need more power..:listen:

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Bro kariayam,

m7 ebc is the same as blitz boost controller. i got it downloaded in the previous tread in this forum. u can try to check it out. as for gain i only set to 10..... (slow slow boost up nvm la...)
but as i know if we turn off the EBC. the boost will only go less then 1 bar(shows on my pivot boost meter). i think by installing EBC something have to remove from our car...

kariayam

Known Member
Oct 3, 2007
Yeah agreed, good explaination.

Bro kariayam,

Ok if i understood the boost controller function correctly, it will limit the boost level. Let say if i set it to 1.4bar. Since the standard boost for ix is 1.38bar and will spike to 1.4bar, that means it is a correct value to set am i right? It still allow the ix boost to be in its standard range, 1.38 spike to 1.4 and drop to lower bar 1.2 or 1.3, am i right?

Or are you trying to tell that if we set the boost controller to 1.4 than the boost will maintain at 1.4 and will not drop after that?

I have read a 52 pages thread of evo ix in zth, another point of ebc is to avoid a high spike since 2005 evo ix with magnesium turbo have the tendency to spike until 1.6 bar. Therefore if we have ebc it will limit it to the boost we set, let say 1.4 bar only and will not cross it.

But does it mean that the boost will go or maintain to 1.4bar instead of 1.38 spikes to 1.4 and drop?

Thanks a lot for making this thread a good technical thread to help new evo owner like me.
Bro, Ithink u better read my posts carefully..i think my words are clear and straight forward... please dont confuse with the 1.4 bar thing. I just type 1.4 instead of 1.38 to ease my typing since it's 0.02bar difference to be more exact..

if u set your ebc to 1.38bar, then the boost will maintain at 1.38bar...not more and not less.. You will not get any spike if your gain setting is low.

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
Bro aycy thanks i will search for it.

Kariayam,

Sorry for my ignorance. Try to learn from you and sifus here hihi

I hink i got your point. If we set it to 1.4bar, it will maintain 1.4bar instead of dropping abit right? Whereas a turbo should spike to 1.4 and drop.

Bro aycy

How does your ebc setting going? Does it maintain to the boost you set or it goest to the set boost and drop abit?

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
Bro aycy thanks i will search for it.

Kariayam,

Sorry for my ignorance. Try to learn from you and sifus here hihi

I hink i got your point. If we set it to 1.4bar, it will maintain 1.4bar instead of dropping abit right? Whereas a turbo should spike to 1.4 and drop.
this is what i understand what bro kariayam said, if u set 1.4bar,it will maintain 1.4 but u need to see ur gain setting, if low gain should be no boost spike but if u set ur gain higher then it still have boost spike..maybe the previous post u said "If i use level 1, so it wont go until 1.3 right? But it happened to jump to 1.2 bar. Never experience 1.38 or 1.4 bar" maybe ur gain a bit higher so that it still can spike till 1.2....correct me if im wrong..im also still learning so we can share our undrstanding

====>i take note from bro kariayam sentences "Now we will talk about gain setting. If you set the gain setting too high,you will have the risk of boost spike. i.e: if your boost setting is 1 bar, then you set too much gain, there will be possibilty the boost will spike to above 1 bar before returning to 1 bar"

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys ! it's urgent here.. My uncle wants to convert his perdana to VRG face .
Is this legal or what ? I know we can convert it but he's worrying about JPJ summons .
can anyone help me out :confused: thanks..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience