EK 4 door club/team/gang/kaki... ?

cad843

Known Member
Mar 23, 2005
Oita Ken
Want to get faster? But no money
Want to stroke it and bored to 85mm? no money
Fc high but want the car to be fast? No money
might as well park the car at home and saved "the money" then only do one shot, better right?
Gearing is ur best friend
3,4,5 with 4.9FD .... Then see if it's nice or not
just my 25cents

Are u selling 4.9FD? Brand n price? Used or new? Well, since u mentioned bout 4.9FD .. here some info I read fr other forum and the thread wrote by the moderator _JT and I paste here just to share with all :

Choosing your final drive

Lately a lot of questions have been asked about swapping your final drive. It's an easy and cheap way of gaining virtual whp and wtq that transform into faster acceleration. Let's sum it up.

+ Gears shorter - much extra virtual whp/wtq = lots of gain in acceleration for the money
+ In the city you probably won't notice any increase in fuel consumption since lighter load of engine is needed for same acceleration

- Higher rpm on the motorway means more noise
- Higher rpm on the motorway means higher fuel consumption
- With a very short final drive your top speed is severly limited

There are different options. Honda B-series boxes contain 4.4 and 4.785 final drives. The latter one is found in the 98-01 spec ITR S80 boxes, the rest has 4.4 (correct me if I'm wrong). The two most common options are the OEM 4.875 and after market 4.928 final drive.

The 4.928
Most people agree that if you drive on motorways regularly the 4.928 is too short. Your engine will rotate at 3850rpm at 60mph. That's a lot. Also, if you drive on tracks where you easily run over 120mph, this will be too short as the gear limits your top speed at 140mph. You could overcome these problems by also installing a 5th gear that is a bit longer. The disadvantage of that is that the gap between 4th and 5th gear will be bigger, but you do get 4.928 acceleration in 1st-4th gear and stock fuel economy and noise on the motorway.

The 4.785
This is the best compromise. It will yield you almost 9% extra virtual torque/power in all gears over the whole range, but compared to the 4.928 your top speed is higher (4mph, which isn't that big but just a bit extra) and most important for driveability, rpm at 60mph is 400rpm lower. This is the best easy option if you drive a lot on the motorway.

98-01 S80 box
Another option would be to just get a 98-01 S80 box if you don't already have that. Given the same wheel/tire size, 4th and 5th gear is a small bit shorter but 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear are more noticable shorter. You don't have to open up your box, just change the box. This option has the disadvantage that the gap between 3rd and 4th gear will become bigger but you have noticably faster acceleration in 1st - 3rd gear while maintaining driveability in 4th and 5th gear.

In short:

Of course you can build your own box with custom gears etc but that is way more costly and if you already know how to do that and how to choose the parts that suit your needs, you won't be reading this topic

Last edited:

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Want to get faster? But no money
Want to stroke it and bored to 85mm? no money
Fc high but want the car to be fast? No money
might as well park the car at home and saved "the money" then only do one shot, better right?
Gearing is ur best friend
3,4,5 with 4.9FD .... Then see if it's nice or not
just my 25cents

If got money u think i will still drive honda? :biggrin:

san_j

Jun 21, 2005
Selangor
Guys,

What is the price of the EK/EJ when was new back in 1996-2000?
Just curious to know..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i rmb my dad bought my 4 door EJ8 @ abt 100k back in 1998.... it was 100-ish. then came out the ej9, facelifted version was around 110 or so...

cad843

Known Member
Mar 23, 2005
Oita Ken
Guys ... imagine 4 door EK side by side with 2 door EK and assume same engine & set up for both cars ... I think most of us will says 2 door will be at front ...

But estimated how far gap between both cars??? 1 tiang ? 5 tiang?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i nv tried with a 2 door ek, but i've tried with an original eg6 before. we were really, side by side.. lol.. no winner. perhaps the eg6 has a weak/unhealthy engine.

but i believe, the difference isn't very significant. maybe 1/2 - 1 car at most...

siauann

Known Member
Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
If not mistaken price around RM2800 and above for manual G/B with LSD ... depends on the condition & warranty ... Change ur head as well to 98 ITR ... bigger TB summore ... can rev happily till redline ....hehehehhe
already overhaul my autogearbox...now macam new car... :biggrin:

siauann

Known Member
Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
How much it cost u ? Warr ... if like new car, now can redline everyday lorr :burnout:
i repair many things to my car...overhaul the gearbox...change majority of seal and gasket....total cost koyak wallet... :(
everyday redline also minyak tidak tahan...hahaha :driver:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
cad : im not sure, but its lighter for sure.

siauann; should have gone for a manual conversion. definitely more satisflying

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
uncle also need some adrenaline rush ma...! dont deny yourself the satisfaction just cuz u think u are too old, u are never too old!

siauann

Known Member
Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
later uncle got heart attack..too much adrenalin rush... LOL
btw im still using stock standard original SIR 15" rim...time for tire change..existing tires is bridgestone my01...any recommended from all the EK kaki here?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yesterday my tyre 'boom' while drive along the north south highway...So...May i knoe wat the accual speed can spare tyre handle...i drive Waja and the spare tyre is god damn small.therefore i maintain at 80-90km/h till i reach my destination....:X-:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience